Register now to get rid of these ads!

would you pay $2000 for this '38 ford PU?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by warrior1, Mar 24, 2010.

1. that's Canadian dollars , right? isn't that like about $17 American?

2. if it's all there, 1k tops

3. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

and where on there do you see a good grill? That ones bent up and needs work.

$1000 as it sits, $1500 with a title.

4. '38-39 is very hard to get parts for. Sort of the bastard child of Ford PU's. Good grilles are very rare and the lower third of yours is badly bent. They can be straightened but it's a chore. The frame rots out back where the X member attaches to the rails by the right rear. The fenders can be salvaged but that is going to be some work too. On the plus side repop 'glass fenders, filler panels, running boards and beds are available but you'll have more into it than you probably are thinking of spending. Make sure there is the correct radiator and connectors. The whole front clip keys off the radiator and the associated brackets. $2K is too high by about a factor of 4 IMO.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2010
  5. zmcmil2121

zmcmil2121

In my opinion, $2000 is an alright price for the truck. Possibly a little high but it is complete, even if it doesn't run. I would go for it if I had the money.

6. TOWMAN

TOWMAN

looks a lil high but i guess if u really want it, plus it looks like its all there, id tell them 1500!

7. Saxon

Saxon
    from MN

If you don't care if it's original.
    http://www.northernclassictrucks.com/complete.htm

Yep.

8. Not right now. check the exchange rates. It's expected that the Canadian dollar will be higher than the US buck pretty soon:eek:

9. nutajunka

nutajunka

650 with the a$$ sitting in the dirt.

10. No!

11. Saxon

Saxon
    from MN

Looks like, someone wanted to look at the engine bay and got impatient when they couldn't open the hood with the latch :(.

12. This sounds like the right idea. ;) How bad do you want it? take the $2k and be ready. :p

13. 333 Half Evil

333 Half Evil

Unless this is your dream ride, there is no way you should pay $2000. for it. It was his asking price...make him an offer. I'd say start off at the very highest $1000. if he says no, take a good hard look at the truck with him. Make sure you both see the good and the bad, then meet him half way. If he is hard set on $2000. pass. He'll still have it the next time you decide to check it out again. Rest assured, the Canadians and "us guys" in the North are not going to drive down to Texas to buy that truck for $2000. NOT GONNA HAPPEN. Maybe $2000. DELIVERED!! Up here...that might make it worth it.

But honestly what it boils down to is this...HOW MUCH IS IT WORTH TO YOU? If we all said it was a steal, would you rush right out to buy it? Think about it.

14. Value is determined a great deal by where its located.Up north that may be a good deal because of rust considerations.Texas,... maybe not so good.

15. BISHOP

BISHOP

I look at project purchases like this.... How much is it going to cost me (time and money) if it was straight up given to me.

That little reminder keeps me from buying stuff.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2010
  16. AllSteel36

AllSteel36
    from California

I'll bet if you opened up a new thread saying he's asking 3K for it, everyone would reply and say to offer him 2K.

:rolleyes:

17. Those trucks are hard to find parts for also, which will add alot of $ to the build.

18. Figure out how much $ it'll take to get it where you want, and what it'll be worth at that point, and see if they add up or match. Let's say you pay $2000, and put $10K in it. Will it then be worth more, less, or the same as that $12K?

19. A tad high maybe,but the truck looks quite complete. A couple of weeks spent on body work would make a huge improvement. Roughed out and a coat of black suede ...could be lookin pretty.

20. budd

budd

yes i think i would pay $2000, if the frame is still ok, and the cab is still bolted on solid, yeah.

21. Glideman88

Glideman88

Wouldn't it be ironic if the Seller is a HAMB member and is watching this thread? :D

22. Kustom Komet

Kustom Komet

$1,500 if it's got a workable frame. Too much bent/cracked/smashed stuff to be worth much more.

23. cadillac daddyo

cadillac daddyo
    from wichita ks

i dont think it is worth that

24. Mac_55

Mac_55

This one broght 4600 at a farm auction last weekend . Granted stuff always goes a bit higher at auction but it was a super solid nice truck with the flathaead in it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

25. A guy couldn't take that $2,000 farm truck and turn it into the $4,600 truck pictured above.
    Call me crazy or thrifty, but that farm truck looks like a $500 cab with lots of parts that need work or replaceing.

26. LUCIFR

LUCIFR
    from Seattle

27. davis574ord

davis574ord

it would be worth it if there was $800.00 in the glove box!

28. Roothawg

Roothawg

Nope. That's a $300 truck around here.

29. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd have to agree that somewhere 1000 and 1500 with the long greenies waving in your hand at the time would be pretty close to right. If it was sprayed flat black like RustyNewyorker said he would do then the offer would be 800. I'd rather buy rigs in their natural state then deal with "Value Added".

I think a lot of guys either put what seems to be a stiff tab on a rig like that because they think some rube will pay it, they figure that they have to have room to deal or they are damned tire of mouthbreathers trying to deal on stuff without the cash to make the deal happen. I won't even go look at anything anymore without the funds readily available. That may mean a quick trip to the bank but I don't do or deal with "be backs".

30. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

1200$ to 1300$ range 2000$ is a tad steep