Register now to get rid of these ads!

0 to 200 mph in 1.5 years.... Step 1 - ummmm, metalshapes?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Dec 22, 2004.

1. Digger_Dave

Digger_Dave
    Member Emeritus

A dream is born ...

1. RULE BOOK!
    2. Serious consideration of the class you plan to run in. Engine size (disp.) will affect the level of the class you will run in. (bigger engine = higher in the class and usually faster)
    3. Blown vs. carb; different class.
    4. Certain streamling "tricks" can move you to a different class. (e.g. - '40 hoods)

These are just for starters.

Start with number ONE; and ask LOTS of questions before "casting in stone!"

2. metalshapes

metalshapes

Looks like there is a little snag...

My rulebook is from 2000 and in Section II, General requirements ( automobile ), it says:
    II-22 Floorboards:" Floorboards shall be mounted above the frame or in stock location for the body style and year of the vehicle."
    This may or may not be a problem, depending on how you read it, and maybe also in which class you'd run...

3. JamesG

JamesG

4. Rule book....

While you wait for the OFFICIAL rule book,
    1. go here....
    http://www.dlra.org.au/dlrarules.pdf
    2. print it out and start thinking...

These ARE NOT applicable for B/Ville, BUT will certainly be close enough to entertain your curiousity untill the OFFICIAL rules arrive. [​IMG]

Note: if you'd like any concept artwork sketched, whilst I know there are far more talented artists here, I thought I'd still offer you guys my services......

Cheers,

Drewfus [​IMG]

Attached Files:

5. The37Kid

The37Kid

Be sure to design the seating with a full fire suit and helmet on , and think about ease of exit if the ride is on fire. Layout of kill switches etc.

6. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

if the floor has to be mounted above the rails does it say anything about the shape of the floor?

you could have it 'dip' down to just above/ or meet/ the belly pan then your seats/floor controls ect would be sunken in like they would be if the floor were mounted at the bottom of the rails.

you could either do this by making the driver/passenger spaces sunk in. or just use the same lay out you would if the floor were under ther rails and just have the sides of the floor come up on top of them kind of a like how a pickup truck hard bedliner rests on the tops of the bed sides?

id draw a pic but im on a ghetto computer over break, hopefully my descriptionw asnt to confusing orm ispelt [​IMG]

just a thought.

7. Phil1934

Phil1934

I'm curious what you would run in tires since all the ratings expire before 200 MPH.

8. Cword

Cword

[ QUOTE ]
    Be sure to design the seating with a full fire suit and helmet on , and think about ease of exit if the ride is on fire. Layout of kill switches etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

In tech they'd like to see you get out of the car, fully suited in roughly 20 seconds.

9. Digger_Dave

Digger_Dave
    Member Emeritus

[ QUOTE ]
    I'm curious what you would run in tires since all the ratings expire before 200 MPH. Do people run Front Runners on all four?

[/ QUOTE ]

200 + MPH tires used at Bonneville (and the other tracks) are special. Only made by a couple of companies. They also run with inertubes.

They have a rounded shoulder (to help stop digging in and flipping the car if it gets sideways) and a smooth tread.

They use nitrogen at about 90 PSI.

And in case anyone asks; NO TRACTION SLIP LIMITING DEVICES PERMITED. Too much "loud peddle" and your likely to do some "loopty loos!" Going sideways at over 200 MPH is a REAL!! experience!

Driving over 200 MPH isn't just a case of "stab" and "steer", it takes some talent.

10. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Ryan....
    I have a great idea! At least I think so...
    Make this a Hamb car owned by all the Hambers throughout the world. This car will be taken to Bonneville to hit the 200 mph mark with the audience of us all. One Big Hamb Sand Bash!
    The parts and/or labor will be donated by us to help with the build of this thing. It'll be like we all have a part of this.
    Then after we are done, we can sell it with all the profits going to the Hamb. Whatyathink?

11. Nimrod

Nimrod

Looking through the rulebook, assuming you'll run unblown gas competition coupe: The C (306-372") record is 260.7 mph, B (373-439") is 263.3 mph, and A (440-500") record is 227.1 mph, AA (500" and on) is 293.9 mph. The blown gas records are actually a little slower with the exeption of A class.

Its interesting going through the rulebook, a lot of the fastest records are naturally aspirated cars running gasoline. The blown and fuel records are often slower, I assume its because fewer people tend to run them and know what there doing. Or they have a car set up for gas, and run fuel class simply by running an unaproved gasoline.

They are some steep records though in the coupe classes!

12. WZ JUNK

WZ JUNK
    from Neosho, MO

Going fast at Bonneville requires a lot of special safety equipment. Special also means expensive and since a lot of it is dated, used will not do.

13. I may be able to help with the 40 hoods. I can't get to the stash till spring.
    Clark

14. dusty

dusty

Kev,
    Seems like I have read somewhere about the negative effects of louvers and drag. Noticed the concept had louvers. Just something to think about. Glad it looks like a reallity.

15. Louvers are not legal,in some locations,in some classes.

But they do look good. [​IMG]

16. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

[​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Saw this one at Oakland and never saw it again.
    As I said on page 2, the Ron Rolliffe 34 roadster is worth a look at. The guy did his home work and kicked ass.
    [​IMG]
    Just a quickie, sorry about the overly strait lines.
    I kinda took some liberty’s with henrys roof line.
    ?/cc

17. JohnnyB327

JohnnyB327

damn that cars pretty damn good lookin!

18. What about belly pans? Are they legal for the class you guys are looking to run? I've always dug Ferraris for this very reason. Their engineers understand that there's forces on top AND underneath.

I'll be following this one closely.

19. How much for a set of tires legal for 250 mph ?
    And is there an age limit on tires too ?

[ QUOTE ]
    200 + MPH tires used at Bonneville (and the other tracks) are special. Only made by a couple of companies. They also run with inertubes.
    They have a rounded shoulder (to help stop digging in and flipping the car if it gets sideways) and a smooth tread.
    They use nitrogen at about 90 PSI.

[/ QUOTE ]

20. BigJim394

BigJim394

Ryan, there's a lot of good info on the build of a Bonneville car at the salt2salt website.
    In less than 2 years these guys built a turbocharged flathead 6 cyl 53 Stude, took it to Bonneville and set a record the first time out:

<a href=http://salt2salt.com>http://salt2salt.com</a>

21. a/fxcomet

a/fxcomet
    from Eugene, OR

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Always wondered that. I dont think there is. Some of the tire on those cars are weatherchecked and nasty!

22. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

Ryan et al - have you thought about a 'glass body for your racer?

No don't can me - salt sure fucks with metal, and the mods like the racers shown in this thread would probably be easier in 'glass than in steel.

I'd try to get sponsorship from the company producing the stuff for a flopper body, then do the mods on it then.

You might like to try Rod Bods by Elvis down under for a flopper - what a great marketing scoop for a company from Oz.
    They do 30-31 coupes, in 3 and 5 windows.

23. Digger_Dave

Digger_Dave
    Member Emeritus

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Always wondered that. I dont think there is. Some of the tire on those cars are weatherchecked and nasty!

[/ QUOTE ]

Tire condition (cracks, age etc.) are the Tech Inspectors department. If they don't like them; you don't run them.

A lot of old time salt racers who have tires that no longer pass inspection; use them on their cars for shipping to and from the track. So you might have seen some pretty shabby ones on the car(s) when rolling off the trailer.

Making a run on the "junkers"; I don't think so. A "blow out" at over 200 MPH would be a disaster.

Ever been behind a semi that "tosses" a tread at 70 MPH? Multiply the effect by about 20 times!

24. Digger_Dave

Digger_Dave
    Member Emeritus

[ QUOTE ]
    Going fast at Bonneville requires a lot of special safety equipment. Special also means expensive and since a lot of it is dated, used will not do.

[/ QUOTE ]

We {North of '49} learned fast about THAT fact of racing.

Changes in the rules regarding...
    A. Roll Cage.
    B. On board Fire System
    C. Seatbelts

... were just for starters.

which cost $$$; but didn't help in breaking the magic "200."

25. Differential Gear = 2.47 to 1
    Transmission Gear = 1.00 to 1
    Tire Diameter (Inches) = 28.00
    Vechicle MPH = 200

Calculated Engine RPM is 5930

Automotive formula calculators

That seems doable.
    HP is another question.
    Some classes allow Nitrous,but bump you up two engine size classes.

Since the blown records are softer,that looks tempting.
    Extended wheelbase,like the Superbell Coupe,
    with a front mounted blower and air to water intercooler.

26. Munson

Munson
    from Tempe, AZ

[ QUOTE ]

[​IMG]

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats nice looking!!
    Looks like it could do more than 200mph!

27. Mr. Happy

Mr. Happy

I don't have any technical info to offer, though I can post a shot of a certain, particularly famous coupe.

Attached Files:

28. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Ryan, What kind of Horse Power do you think you will need to run 200mph.. something like what is in your coupe? or even badder? Look forward to this build up to see how you do...

29. Roadsters.com

Roadsters.com

I don't have my SCTA rule books handy, but from memory, the rules will only allow for a three-inch chop. Anytime you see a Vintage Coupe competing for a record with a radical chop that's along the lines of the old Pierson Brothers coupe, it was allowed to run because it was built many years ago and grandfathered in by the Tech crew.

It's my understanding that the reasoning for the three-inch chop limit is to keep the cars looking like what they actually are - old cars - without becoming distorted as contemporary Funny Cars have.

The above also applies to radically laid-back windshields. Since they are an obvious aerodynamic advantage, they are forbidden unless the mods were done a long time ago.

Louvers are allowed, but the rules for the Vintage Roadster classes forbid body modifications behind the cowl, except for a fairing around the chute.

If the car isn't legal for a particular class and you just want to run for fun, you can do that as long as Tech decides it's safe; and then you begin your licensing procedure, making progressively faster runs.

You can run a belly pan, but that will get you protested anywhere but in the Modified Coupe or (180-inch wheelbase limit) Modified Roadster classes, or the Lakester and Streamliner classes.

Traction is key. Traction requires downforce, and these old cars don't provide nearly enough of that. '32 roadsters get really light on the back end at 160, and it's virtually unheard-of for one to break 200 without spinning out. I've seen a Deuce built for the Street Roadster class (with a JP-1 Hemi on nitro) that had a 50-gallon tank in the trunk filled with water, and it wasn't enough.

Here's why cars spin out at Bonneville. Back in '97, a friend who used to volunteer on Breedlove's team taught me this: Think in terms of the number of pounds of aerodynamic drag on the car versus the number of pounds of thrust provided by the contact patches of the back tires. Think about this, and consider the exponential rate at which drag increases with speed. When drag overcomes thrust, horsepower becomes irrelevant. It's like doing a burnout against a wall. The car gets sideways and starts to spin.

It's tough to do. That's why there are records that have stood for decades.

It's also why dogs don't build race cars.

Dave Mann
    (602) 233-8400
    http://www.roadsters.com/

30. skipstitch

skipstitch

Another shot of the Chrisman coupe.... Ryan, if you guys need a seat pad upholstered for the big PASS, let me know!!! Stitch

Attached Files: