Register now to get rid of these ads!

Paint gun trouble shooting

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by stepsideclyde, Mar 24, 2010.

1. stepsideclyde

stepsideclyde

I need help with a older model Sharpe 75. Always worked well for painting equipment and dump bodies. Went to use it today and found that all it would do is blow bubbles in the paint container. This is an older style syphon type gun, not a HVLP. Any one got experience with this style of gun? Does not seem like it could be to complicated, but we have disassembled it and found nothing to alarming.....Thanks

tc

2. rcr81

rcr81

Is the vent hole for the cup clear ( not plugged ) ?

3. Ob1

Ob1

Sounds like it needs a soak and a thorough cleaning.

4. rcr81

rcr81

Also tip the gun and see if it leaks...might be the cup gaskets gone and letting air in, they tend to dry up if you havent used it in awhile.

5. fitzee

fitzee

If thegun is blowing bubbles in the cup it sounds to me that the needle or tip is clogged.If the air can`t pass out the tip it will send the air to the cup. You getting air out the tip??

6. stepsideclyde

stepsideclyde

Gun seems clean, soaking in lacquer thinner as we speak. Vent hole is clear, and air does come out of the tip. Although air exits the air cap, could some air be misdirected back thru the needle and back to the cup? If so what wold one do to fix it? Thanks for your replies

tc

7. fitzee

fitzee

This has me stumped.Been rebuild old spray guys for years and never had this problem.Had ever other problem tho. Air pass through the handle and to the top of the tip.Only way air can go down the tub to the cup is if something is blocking the air way at the tip.Then the air re roots to the cup. Any of these guns like yours??

Attached Files:

8. overspray

overspray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yup--and it's blowing air back past the fluid tip. Take off the air cap then the fluid tip (under the air cap). There should be a gasket there between the fluid tip and the body of the gun. That may be the culprit. Check the gasket for crud and breaks. The later ones were neoprene (Sharpe 775). You might need a gasket/overhaul kit. Or--the front half of the body is loose and you need to replace the gasket or tighten it. An allen wrench thru the air adjustment area from back to front (after the air needle and seat are removed) and you can tighten it up.

http://www.sharpe1.com/sharpe/sharpe.nsf/Page/Service+Kit+Part+Numbers

9. stepsideclyde

stepsideclyde

Yep, looks like the one on the left side, got the drop down air pressure gauge in the handle

tc

10. fitzee

fitzee

Might be the problem. I found that with that gasket bad the gun would serge out the tip wouldn`t it??.I`m thinking the fluid tip is clogged where the air pass through to the cap.