Register now to get rid of these ads!

The Sticky Lifter Chevy is gone - The end of an era - Thanks to you (your name here)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by stickylifter, Mar 15, 2010.

1. Well kids I never thought I'd see the day, but after all that work and all these years (and all that money! zoiks!) my beloved 50 Chevy now sits in someone else's driveway. Big deal, right? So you sold your car? So did my grandma. Hike up that skirt and get over it, right? Well, I'm a little nostalgic, OK, but that's not why I'm posting.

When I started on this car, I had no idea what I was getting in to. I had worked on daily drivers and stuff, but never anything as old as the 50s. In my quest to take a bone stock basket case 50 Fleetline and turn it into a full custom I stumbled across the HAMB. It became one of the main resources for me while I learned not only about the mechanical aspects of what I was doing, but the historical ones as well.

As I kept working on the car I would post pics and talk about what I was doing. Some of them, like the PCV thread for instance, wound up becoming fairly infamous. Best of all were the posts that actually wound up helping other guys. Nothing like a shoutout from someone you don't even know.

But most important are the friends I made as a direct result of building this car and my involvement on the HAMB. Lots of them have become good friends that I still talk to and see on a fairly regular basis. The quality of the people I met has always blown me away. Guys (and even a girl or two) that are willing to lend a hand or some knowledge, or a part to someone else that needs it - just because we're "car guys". The most stunning example to me was my Detroit HAMB Chop. Over the weekend we must have had 75 guys come through, and we chopped that Fleetline by Sunday night. Roadstar got us a shop, hotrodladycruzr kept the whole thing rolling along, and the usual crew met a bunch of new pals. We had a great time.

Even though there was a lot of thrown wrenches and cursing along the way, all I really remember are the fun parts, the accomplishments, the shows, and the friends. Along the way I wound up joining the Poor Boys and we are doing our best to help support what's going on with traditional hot rods and customs from hosting Bi#*^!proof in past years, and now Sins of Steel, and participating in Autorama and other shows.

So with all that history, how could I sell my Fleetline? Well, I didn't. I traded it. That seemed like the only way that was right. I traded it to another Poor Boy for a '54 that I had had my eyes on for a few years. I might have kept it for ever, but Mark was going to sell that 54 and he's always wanted a Fleetline, so it seemed to work out. And so begins the next chapter. I'm stoked on the "new" car, but we never forget our "first times" right? And you can't keep 'em all...

So, thanks! In no particular order (and my apologies if I left you out - add your name!) to: Jen my Wife, MercMan1951, Roadstar, hotrodladycrusr, Aaron51Chevy, 62Wagon, HotRodDrummer, the infamous DIRTYT, FatHack, FastElvis, DoubleClutch, Ol' Drippy, CharlieChops1940, MarkX, Cyclebilly, bluebrian, uh... I know this list is a lot longer... Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. Man. it can't be that long since we cut your car. Seems like yesterday. It was a pleasure and a privilege to have a small part in it with a bunch of great rodders. I know a bit of how you feel but also agree that sometimes we gotta move on. Been doing that a long time and though I miss some of them the next one is the next great love.

Charlie

3. MercMan1951

MercMan1951

Wow...I can't believe it's been 5 years already...here's to another 5 years with the new ride!

4. R1FIGHTER

R1FIGHTER

I just saw this car the other day on Shoenherr. Way cool that's in still in the area.

5. MarkX

MarkX
    from ...TX

They all come and go,,,, Im glad to have helped in some way, ...... keep rollin!

6. Aaron51chevy

Aaron51chevy

Wow! Glad to see the Chevy's still going to be around and in good hands. I dig the new car Marc! Now your even MORE of a Rockstar haha! I know what you mean about being emotional about that first car. Hell mine was a POS but seeing it at Autorama this year sure brought back a bunch of memories, most good some bad....
    Can't wait to see your "new" ride at SOS!

7. Love both cars and ready about the Fleetline over the years. Look at it this way, now you are a Legitimate Rockstar and not some red headed stepchild we felt sorry for ;)

8. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

That sure was a GREAT weekend and like others have said...its been FIVE years already!!??!!:eek: Shit I feel old.

Congrats all around on the trades.:cool:

9. FoMoCoPower

FoMoCoPower

FYI this car is coming to Illinois this weekend.

10. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

time flys when you're having fun