Register now to get rid of these ads!

best advice for 1st time carb rebuild?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Rain_man, Mar 23, 2010.

1. Rain_man

Rain_man

ok so i have never rebuilt a carb before but im gona try i have a edelbrock 650 and i just bought there rebuild kit.
    any advice before i start?

2. grovedawg

grovedawg
    from Heber, UT

quit while you're a head! :)

3. Rain_man

Rain_man

im not relly ahead without a carb i cant drive the truck and cant afford to buy new or pay somone to rebuild

4. grovedawg

grovedawg
    from Heber, UT

I'm just kiddin duder. You're doing exactly what I love to do. Figure something out as I go along. Who needs instructions anyway! But, I wish I could help other than say good luck with the project.

5. Captain Freedom

Captain Freedom
    from Upstate SC

No smoking.

Whats the problem, worn out or do ya think it has junk in it?

6. Rain_man

Rain_man

will my accelerator pump is not working.
    having trouble starting the truck.
    i bought the carb used allmost a year ago and it probley needed to be rebuilt then but i was working on the truck.i only started the truck like once every two weeks and even then it just sat never drove it anywere. so i figure it is time
    i want this truck be my dd so i need to know it will start up every time i need it to

7. Deuces

Deuces

Take pictures with your cell phone camera of all 4 sides, inside pics also as soon as you remove the top part so you'll know how everything attaches. etc, etc. Clean everything out with carb cleaner and a bunch of clean rags. Compressed air works wonders! See where those stainless check balls go if there are any. Some are spring loaded. After re-assembly, turn in the idle mixture screws in till they seat then back those out 1 full turn. Then bolt the carb back on your hot rod.

8. Captain Freedom

Captain Freedom
    from Upstate SC

Install two fuel filters when you get done.

9. holeshot

holeshot
    BANNED
    from Waxahachie

Raymond...yea don't!...pop.

10. DrJ

DrJ

Don't bend any lever rods unless/until after you decide someone else already bent them wrong in a previous rebuild!
    Make note of which hole the accelerator pump rod and other rod's are in now so you can put it back there later

Work on it in a box, or better, a restaurant baking sheet or half sheet.
    That way the little stuff that falls out like accelerator pump check ball valves etc. won't become part of the floor dust, except the little springs that go flying...

READ THE INSTRUCTIONS that came with the kit at least twice!

I like to screw idle mixture screws down first counting the turns it takes to bottom them out before taking them out so I know at least a ballpark of where they were working to start with.
    No reason to move idle speed screws until you're tuning later so don't.
    Take or draw pictures of all the parts before you take it apart.
    I like to draw a detailed picture of carbs (and brake shoe and spring locations) because that way I have to get familiar with all the parts I am looking at.
    And if you're an artist, you can sign and sell the drawings...;)

11. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

Theres so much support for those. look up Edelbrock and spend some quality time with the knoweldgable customer support representitive. He's there to help you and after all, your call is important. They really are good.

12. Identify carb by carb number. Go to parts store get the proper kit for that carb number, buy carb solvent can with basket inside. Clear off a large enough work area on your bench, place carb and parts on baking/cooking sheet, be sure to have good lighting. Dis-assemble carb, making mental note of linkage, and anything else that isn't clear to you in the instruction sheet (yes, take pictures if that is your thing), read twice or three times if necessary. Let parts soak overnight (cleanliness is next to Godliness), use compressed air to blow out all of the crevices, then re-assemble. Scrap off intake manifold where carb mounts on, use new gasket provided, do not use sealer! It isn't rocket science, but, if you are like most people it isn't something you do everyday either, so take your time, get it right the first time. Good luck.

13. Leevon

Leevon
    from Nixa, MO

I like to soda blast the carb bodies, especially an Edelbrock. It may not be practical for you but they come out looking great. It also helps to have straight torx screwdrivers instead of the folding all-in-one type or sockets.

Most of the Edelbrock 650's take the 1477 rebuild kit.

14. budd

budd

if you were to ask me before you started i'd tell you not to buy a kit at all, if its just your accelerator pump not working it could just be a little speck of dirt, pulling the top off and checking things out a little may be all it really needs.

15. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Wear eye protection so carb spray doesn't blow back into you eyes. Lay everything out on a flat surface exactly in the order as it comes apart. I always apply a light coat of oil to all the "o" rings so it all slides together easily.

16. All, good advise. It took me YEARS of being a "know-it-all" before I started reading the instructions...which MAY come in with your rebuild kit. At any rate, go to the Edelbrock Web Site and it'll be a HUGE help. Good luck...they're a really easy carb to re-build/adjust...

Last edited: Mar 24, 2010
  17. troylee

troylee

+ on the baking sheet. I getting ready to rebuild a few S.U. carbs. A first for Me. gathered a little info of of the inter web for some pointers. Good luck

18. Dave B.

Dave B.

I've rebuilt quite a few carbs, but never an Edelbrock. One trick I learned early-on, though, is to get a piece of cardboard and write "front" at one edge (and "back" at the opposite, if you're A-R...). Draw a rough outline of the carb, then, as you take out the screws that hold the carb together, poke holes in the cardboard at about where each screw is located and push it through the hole so that you know exactly which screw came from which location (they're not always all the same length and thread).

I also like to keep a box of cheap plastic 'zip lock' baggies nearby to hold small parts. I usually cut up some small strips of paper so I can make a note for each part that I 'bag'. If you 'stack' the baggies as you disassemble the carb, you'll also be able to reassemble it in the correct order by installing the part in the 'top' baggie first, then the next and so forth.

19. retromotors

retromotors

Lot of good, thoughtful hints on this thread ... I'm impressed!:)

I'm taking notes. Got a feeling this is gonna be a real help just shortly.

20. Rain_man

Rain_man

thanks for all the tips guys im gona go start taking it apart in just a few min.
    wish me luck

21. Rain_man

Rain_man

ya the 1477 is the one i bought
    thanks

22. Rain_man

Rain_man

so i did it
    i think every thing is right
    it was not to bad
    all i have to do now is put it on the truck later today
    thanks for all the help.