Register now to get rid of these ads!

No ground strap equals high oil consupmtion????

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by krooser, Mar 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AllSteel36

AllSteel36
    from California

I dunno...

But, in the unexplained 4 cycle world...

When I was a kid my Dad to me to change the oil in the lawnmower before mowing then lawn. I said to hell with it, I'll mow the lawn and change the oil later.
    I pulled on the B&S 3.5 HP engine for 20 minutes, couldn't get it to fire.

WTF, decided to get the oil changed so Dad would'nt be pissed.

After the oil change, it fired on the first pull.

Karma? Dad power? I don't know, still makes me wonder about it 40 years later.

2. chucklz

chucklz
    from KC

Dag nabbit, you beat me to the punchline! Drats, Double Drats on the Snuggler!!!

Really, you're telling me this kind of idol worship is widely accepted?

As for the oil burning... I always rebuild my engines during the full moon while naked with a chicken (laying hen not rooster) on my head while playing chanting from the Bulgarian Womens Choir . I mean why take chances?

Last edited: Mar 23, 2010
  3. This would be my new signature if the space allowed :D

LOL !!!!!

4. Kramer

Kramer

Know someone who nearly lost his finger doing that. I take my ring off when I work with a battery now.

Bad battery will do the same thing. My 56 GMC would not start after being warmed up. Cold was no problem. Fought it for months. The battery finally really died. Replaced it and had no more problems.

No it wouldn't, cause the engine would die. Now if it were a generator then yes.

I use JB Weld. Its hard to spot weld dissimilar metals.

Damn KIRK! Had to go and get a new keyboard.

5. I smoked some oil one time and I fell on the ground and my rings aligned . . . :confused:

6. . . you need a new Alternator :D

7. holeshot

holeshot
    BANNED
    from Waxahachie

KROOSER...I find that very hard to believe. THAT YOU HAVE A BUDDY! but 1 thing i do believe. IS YOUR CRAZY AS A SHITHOUSE RAT. get back on the crazy train, and leave this website...POP.

8. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

The service manager where I work spoke of going through this with his '69 Firebird.

9. The strange thing was that in all the years I worked in GM parts departments, it seemed like I sold more cables for Pontiacs than all the other car lines.

BTW, on a late model note, full size Chevy/GMC pickups with hour meters built into the cluster: if you have a engine hour meter that resets to zero hours, there is a TSB dealing with this, a low voltage condition during cranking. So check the grounds and battery voltage, my '04 Sierra has done this in the past.

10. Fordguy321

Fordguy321
    from Arizona

well if i ever have that problem and cant figure it out ill be dang sure to make sure i got good grounds! i work on all these new cars bs and bad grounds do weird things!

11. Steve-Cook

Steve-Cook
    from Garner, NC

This is a relatively new problem I believe you will see more of as 2012 approaches and the magnetic poles switch :rolleyes:.

12. Rudebaker

Rudebaker
    from Illinois

I had the shifter cable on my '67 GTO weld itself to the casing due to a bad engine ground.
    That was fun, it was 20 below and I had to change it in a snow covered driveway at 9 O'clock at night. I fixed the ground too. Never had my ring gaps align though.........:rolleyes:

13. James Maxwell

James Maxwell
    from So-Cal

Why is this thread on here? It's a non-HAMB friendly car, no mention of engine size, besides a total BS story.

14. Big Mac

Big Mac
    1. Utah HAMBers

I think you meant "horse PUCKEY".... I believe horse POKEY will get you thrown in jail, or at least a real hard kick to the legs and groin.

15. He does say it's a 200 six, so that would be 200 Cubic Inches :D

16. WTF? Stanger stuff has happened I suppose, but this one is at the top of the list.

17. James Maxwell

James Maxwell
    from So-Cal

OK, I missed that, but it is pure bullcrap none the less. So the internal combustion engine has been around since something like 1885 and this nutcase is the first to find out about this potential problem? Yeah right...

Kill the thread, there's too much nonsense to it.

18. 7&7

7&7
    from Colorado

Ok here is a new question. I run a Magneto in my coupe which direction is my best bet to drive without any of these problems. Or am I screwed. If I drive north will the rings in my car fight the magnetic pull from the magneto. I do have good ground straps. Any info will help. Ah shit I need a drink after wrapping my head around this one.

19. whistlebritches

whistlebritches
    from texas

its simple....rings dont matter much if he'da put some ashes in that motor during the rebuild....ashes=good motor mojo

20. Kramer

Kramer

Didn't you just get a 6 year old thread closed down asking the same question?

At least you found a current one to complain about.:D

21. Kramer

Kramer

Sometimes you need a little nonsense. The mods will deal with it if it needs it.

22. back in the mid 60's had a friend V8 a falcon that had a hard time cranking.
    i went over looked and said crank it i hit the ground running.
    his home maid fuel line glowed bright orange.
    he only had the ground on the body
    started good after a ground strap was put on .
    he also put on a rubber hose between the body and engine

23. James Maxwell

James Maxwell
    from So-Cal

What?

I had no idea there was a time limit on threads. When did that new rule start?

24. James Maxwell

James Maxwell
    from So-Cal

And?

This thread is about magnetic forces on piston rings...

25. Smart man!:rolleyes:

26. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just line the ring gaps up and re-assemble. After a hundred miles or so, the rings will stagger the gaps themselves......:rolleyes:

27. Huh?

28. stealthcruiser

stealthcruiser

I dated a girl, once, that was kinda' on the "wide side"..............

29. Baby got back?

30. krooser

krooser

Bite me newbie...

The rest of you guys can question the story all you want but I'm just the messenger. The guy that owns the car is straight shooter... no BS.

Yeah it's not a HAMB-friendly car but the discussion should center on the problem and the cure not what it's in... I get a little miffed at the later model car discussions here, too. But I posted this because I was just wondering if anybody else had heard of this.

Since an old-time mechanic was able to diagnose the problem and all most of you guys can do is laugh about it I guess there's at least one guy smarter than you (and me) ... the guy that solved the problem.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.