Register now to get rid of these ads!

Southwest Nostalgia Drags 3-21-10

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by spikeshotrods, Feb 6, 2010.

1. Nick Flores

Nick Flores

The day is finally here!! I'm looking forward to seeing you guys out there today.

Here's to everyone having a safe and fun day at the races!

2. metalman

metalman

Just got home, geez, long 6 hr drive but it was worth it! Great cars, great people, great weather = had a great time. Thanks to all for putting on the show. My 22year old step son was with me, informed me we have to come back but next time bring something to race! Feels funny to come home with a sunburn when we drove thru a snowstorm to get there Saturday, gotta love Phoenix in the winter!

3. Nick Flores

Nick Flores

I took a bunch of pics... most of which are in my profile album but here are a few....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'll get some more uploaded soon....

4. Nick Flores

Nick Flores

5. Fordguy321

Fordguy321
    from Arizona

6. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Man, too much fun! Sorry I had to jump so early, we had a rather traumatic family event occur, so my place had to be with my folks. Wish I wouldn't have missed the mini bike drags, sounds like fun even IF my bike got stomped in the first round! Oh well, there is always next time! Thanks everybody! Chip

7. Sure enjoyed this event! Met some of the H.A.M.B. members and all were ggreat! Thanks to Chip for all the info he gave me and his hospitality! Going to make this a yearly event on my schedual, May even bring the '39 truck for the next Nostalgia meet! Good job to everyone that had a hand in this and thanks to all the H.A.M.B. members who were so welcoming to all! GREAT job. Crow.

8. Tinman

Tinman
    from Orange, CA

How about that BEAR riding Chip's MINIBIKE! Where's the pics?!

9. Nick Flores

Nick Flores

I wish I would have taken a few shots of the mini-bikes... Tinmans avatar made me think about this shot I did take though

[​IMG]

10. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Hey Crow! It was great to meet you! Hope to see ya soon.

11. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

WHAT BEAR RIDING MY MINI BIKE?!?! No wonder it got stomped!!!!

12. metalman

metalman

I'll throw in a few pics I took
    DSC_0173.JPG

DSC_0149.JPG

DSC_0150.JPG

DSC_0151.JPG

DSC_0152.JPG

DSC_0153.JPG

DSC_0154.JPG

13. metalman

metalman

14. metalman

metalman

15. metalman

metalman

DSC_0176.JPG

DSC_0178.JPG

DSC_0182.JPG

DSC_0183.JPG

DSC_0184.JPG

DSC_0185.JPG

DSC_0186.JPG I didn't care for the Nova but I wish I got it in the pic, poor thing only had a few seconds left.

16. metalman

metalman

DSC_0196.JPG
    see what I mean!

DSC_0187.JPG

DSC_0188.JPG

DSC_0189.JPG

DSC_0191.JPG

DSC_0190.JPG

DSC_0193.JPG

17. metalman

metalman

18. Tinman

Tinman
    from Orange, CA

Nice pics metalman! Nice meeting you and hope your April drags in Albuquerque are a hit!

19. Mike

Mike

Hey, wait a minute, I was that bear.:)

20. Mike

Mike

I watched that Nova crash from the starting line. I didn't see what the car looked like after the crash until I saw your picture, what a mess. I'm glad the driver came out of it OK.

Douglass and I waited with our '57 Chevys about 40 min. or so for the track to be cleared and then we got to run. Unfortunately, when I grabbed 3rd gear, my distributor hold down decided to back itself off, I lost power and the engine died. I'm glad it wasn't a serious problem and was an easy fix. After that I opted to play it safe and switch to mini bike mode.

Douglass' Chevy and mine are very similar, both old drag cars, both dual quad small blocks with 4 speed's. A real good match up. I got a kick outta runing with him and I can't wait to do it again.

As usual, the whole thing was a blast. My thanks to Marc and Spike and every one else involved.

21. Congrats to Mark and Spike on another successful event! I really enjoyed myself and think everyone else did too. You guys do a great job and deserve recognition for it.

[​IMG]
    This blown Olds Willys was as pretty as they come. It was hard not to drool over it.
    [​IMG]

Not a hot rod of course but, still a neat old Jeep.
    [​IMG]

Not sure who this trailer belonged to but, it was the coolest trailer I've seen in awhile. Painted gold metalflake.
    [​IMG]

Not sure what the story was with this car. A nostalgic looking back motor deal with a 195 Pontiac Tempest 4cyl. It had a 409 chevy valve cover adapted to fit a Pontiac head. I would call the car " identity crisis". he he
    Cool little digger.
    [​IMG]

The Old Timer looked and sounded as good as ever!
    [​IMG]

I'd like to invite everyone back to Speedworld in just under 3 weeks for the Nostalgic Show & Go! Sunday April 11.
    Here is an event flyer. More info on web site. 1st round of match races on Sat night, main event with show and drags on Sunday. You can stay overnight without extra charge if you want to. There will also be a model contest. I plan to display my 1969 Schwinn Applekrate along with a bunch of vintage model kits with their boxes.
    If you like front motor nitro cars, this is the only known front motor nitro match race this year in Az. Also the A/FX match race will not disappoint. All vintage cars, trucks and rods welcome for showin' and goin'!

[​IMG]

Steve

Last edited: Mar 23, 2010
  22. Thanks, Steve and everyone else who attended this, our tenth and most successful event to date.
    Please come out for Steve's event too . He puts on a great show.
    I've got many pics to post here as soon as I can go through them.
    Here's a few for now:

I'll have to use Photobucket later on. Sorry

Attached Files:

23. THESNEAKYTIKI

THESNEAKYTIKI

"Quote"

Not sure who this trailer belonged to but, it was the coolest trailer I've seen in awhile. Painted gold metalflake.
    [​IMG]

This is Glens trailer. He is a member on the board (Glen). He had the "BROWN SUGAR" model A sedan with the big block aat the track. He built this trailer over a couple month period. He could not find exactly what he wanted and did not want to go buy a garden variety trailer so he built this to his specs. The trailer is killer and as usual shows Glens skillset.

24. THESNEAKYTIKI

THESNEAKYTIKI

Here are a few pics of the crash. I had the right lane and the Nova had the left. About the 330 mark he slid out of the groove at the wall and about 200 feet later he went at the center line. I lifted just before he took the 1/8 mile timing lights out at center track. The car spun around in front of me and hit the wall on the pass front fender which whipped it around into the quarter panel. It went backwards thru the finish line and the car came back into my lane about 250 feet after the finish line. The driver was ok and getting out of the car by the time I made it to his battery cutoff. The car was hurt bad. The whole accident happened so quick that I really did not think about anything. Bernie the track manager came up to me and said "it was a good thing you didn't run your bottle because he would have hit you". The hair stood up on my body instantly. The only reason I saw him get out of the grove is because I didn't run the bottle. The car runs 10.74 on the bottle. I would have never seen him if it wasn't for that. I hadn't been in the car since November and wanted to make a pass just to see how the track was before I used the bottle. Good thing I took a soft pass. Either way it gives you a new respect for speed and power when things like this happen. Good news is everyone was ok.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

25. THESNEAKYTIKI

THESNEAKYTIKI

Here are a few non destructive pics from the weekend.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

26. Hmmm, I know Glen but, did not know that was his rig.

Steve

27. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

So.... Did anybody get a picture of the mini bike drags? Just one?!

28. Kerry67

Kerry67

Damn, Wish I could have gone. Gotta keep Momma happy though sometimes.

29. Douglas B.

Douglas B.

Yah that was the most fun I have had racing in a long time. Thanks again Mike for the hospitality to my Pops and I. We will DEFINITELY run our cars together again, what a blast. Even as I was leaving people kept commenting on them. And Thanks to the guys that put it on, well done as usual!!

--Douglas.

Attached Files:

30. spikeshotrods

spikeshotrods

Thanks to all of you guys for supporting our event, it keeps getting better each time. As Mark and I always say we couldn't do this thing if we didn't have all of our great sponsors, family, and friends to help us with it. A big thanks goes out to our new DJ Nick Flores for keeping our Car Show area hoppin with some great tunes all day and jammin with his new band "Special Deluxe". We also want to thank the "Standard 1320" Guys and Gals, these great folks have helped us take this event to an even higher level, Ron Miller loved our race and I know his spirit was with us Sunday, I hope they will continue to bless us with their support.
    I didn't get to run my 49 at this one, I made a few passes the night before with the new motor, spun bad the first pass, 11.69 @ 112 mph second pass, spun real bad on the third, then noticed water spitting out the right header (machinist got to agressive on one of the heads when he cut for larger valves). Then it became a car show participant.
    "Jimmy Smith" aka "Jeem" won the Mini Bike Drags :D sorry I did'nt get any pics of him though, my kid "Ice Baby" took second on "Liberace's" "Craig's" bike.
    More Great Nostalgia Drag Racing coming soon - Sunday April 11th @ Speedworld Dragstrip Steve's "applecrate's" event !!!!CHECK IT OUT!!!!
    Spike

Last edited: Mar 24, 2010