Register now to get rid of these ads!

History The History Of Los Angeles

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Feb 15, 2010.

1. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

2. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

[​IMG]
    Los Angeles Polytechni<WBR>c High. A corner of the tool room in the machine shop of the Los Angeles, Polytechni<WBR>c High School. This shop is kept busy every day from 8:00 a.m. to 2:00 a.m. the next morning, training workers for war production jobs in the Los Angeles area

[​IMG]
    Students at Washington High School at class, training for specific contributi<WBR>ons to the war effort, Los Angeles, Calif.

3. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

[​IMG]
    A completed war housing trailer is checked out at the Los Angeles plant gate of Western Trailer Company. It is destined for one of the West's critical housing areas. 1942

4. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Dang that's a good looking car!

5. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

[​IMG]
    The Harbor, San Pedro, California [between 1880 and 1899]

6. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

[​IMG]
    No date. Everyone wore a hat in those days. If you went outside, you wore a hat. Period.

7. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

[​IMG]
    Giant swordfish caught at Los Angeles, ca. 1910

8. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

[​IMG]
    Departure of the overland, Los Angeles

9. HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM

HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM
    from Ojai,Ca

[​IMG]
    Silverwoods, good place for suits, shirts and ties. If you wore that stuff, which almost every adult man did.No California casual yet.

10. HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM

HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM
    from Ojai,Ca

[​IMG]
    Was a nice hotel in the day but now is skidrowish. Lock your door.

11. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You've got an impressive collection of old stuff Doug. I lost nearly all my old childhood memorabilia (didn't have to happen, regret it). About all I have left is an analog AM clock/radio I got in '63 (which I still wake up to everyday) and a 1/24 scale '64 T-Bird Philco AM radio. I'd wager you've still got your baseball cards! :cool:

12. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

The gray bridge in the back was added for the trains just before they go down the Alameda Corrador.

13. HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM

HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM
    from Ojai,Ca

I think this was the Santa Fe Station. Southern Pac. had their own station. U.P., S.P. and Santa Fe combined to build the Union Station.

14. 15ASedan

15ASedan

Hal Roach movie studios in Culver City, CA
    Ralph & Marion De Palma with Ralph's Miller Special
    Picture yaken in July 1932, shortly after Ralph timed Marion driving this car 120 mph around a
    5 mile circular course on the Muroc Dry Lake
    [​IMG]

15. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

That is not the orginal bridge. The orginal one was this black ugly thing and when they built the new one (the green one in the photo) both bridges were side by side for some time until they finally knocked down the old black one;)

16. HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM

HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM
    from Ojai,Ca

Good to have some Eagle Eye checking here, thanks.

17. HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM

HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM
    from Ojai,Ca

[​IMG]
    How about this one, the Pontoon Bridge in Long Beach. i used to drive over this while I was in the Navy. Many of us do not know how we safely did it returning to the ship after bar hopping.

18. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

Speaking of Muroc, and all hot rodders know about Muroc...

Here is test pilot Glen Edwards and some of his aircraft:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Edwards was killed testing in 1948. Muroc was re-named Edwards Air Force Base the following year.
    Take a few minutes to read about this amazing man.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glen_Edwards_(pilot)

19. HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM

HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM
    from Ojai,Ca

http://[​IMG]
    Owl Cars, so called because of the big windows that look like Owl eyes. These ran from the P.E. Build. in the background to Long Beach." Red Reaper" was the nick name, they hauled ass and if you got hit, thats it.

20. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

The line to Long Beach was known as "Four Tracks" for obvious reasons. It was straight as an arrow for miles and those big trolleys got up to speed.
    The trolleys were 60 feet long and as stated above, in a collision, they tended to be the winners.
    That was the last line to be shutdown...in 1963.

21. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

Nothing more Los Angeles than Hollywood and the movies, and hot rodding's own movie star...Tommy Ivo

[​IMG]

or a cool custom, some young ladies and a swimming pool...

[​IMG]

22. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

how about a shot in front of Temple City High from my birth month, September, 1950
    Temple City is about 8 miles east of L.A. and was the home of the original Pete and Jake's.
    This young guy is showing off his mid-engined flattie rod.

[​IMG]

or, the "Cam-Master" Ed Iskenderian, another Los Angeles business owner

[​IMG]

more Hollywood with Dean Martin and Jerry Lewis

[​IMG]

classic from downtown Los Angeles
    These guys were promoting the big race coming up at Mines Field, which today is part of LAX
    [​IMG]

23. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

More Hollywood, this time something called television.
    I have an old newspaper from my town from 1949. Thers an advertisement for "receiving screens" an early term for a television

[​IMG]

another icon...Dean Moon...a real speed freak. His shop produced one of the first Cobras, converting an AC into a V-8 Cobra.

[​IMG]

more Hollywood

[​IMG]

Tony Nancy, famed Los Angeles upholstery genius in his gorgeous Plymouth powered dragster. This was a night shot set-up for this photo shoot at the San Gabriel Drag Strip. It was the forerunner to Irwindale Drag Strip that opened in 1965 about 1 1/2 mile northeast of San Gabe.
    The old San Gabriel strip was located just east of today's Irwindale oval track, at the 605 freeway and Lower Azusa offramp.

[​IMG]

24. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

Los Angeles businessman, resident, speed nut, legend, drag strip manager, Mickey Thompson.
    Mickey had roots in Alhambra, El Monte, Long Beach and Bradbury, all in the L.A. area.
    Th first manager of Lions Drag Strip in 1955, speed equipment mogul, promoter of racing events, you name it, Mickey did it.

[​IMG]

25. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

Los Angeles based car salesman, Gaspar Ronda.
    Gas was a big name nationwide, but to us he was "the man". By the mid 1960's, Gas was selling cars at Russ Davis Ford in Covina and racing every weekend. Gas graduated with Ford's from a Galaxie to one of the new, Thunderbolts. the 427 Fairlane of 1964. Gas got one of the few Fairlane's that were painted maroon. Gas had it painted his favorite signature color, Poppy Red. The Thunderbolts were legendary and today a almost priceless they are so valuable.
    From there, Gas went to the SOHC Mustangs, his also was Poppy Red.
    Then onto the Logghe Brothers chassied long nosed Mustangs with injectors and nitro. A few years later his racing career ended with a fire at the drags in Arizona that kept him in the hospital for a month.
    Gas opened a nightclub/dance hall in Azusa named "Gas Ronda's Funny Car Lounge" on Foothill Blvd., Route 66.
    Gas always was a dancer, ballroom dancer and all the rest. As of a few years ago he was still a dance instructor at Arthur Murray Studios.
    He's driving his black Mustang, tuned by Randy Ritchey, Les's son.

[​IMG]

Gas...2007, when he was 80 years young...

[​IMG]

26. HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM

HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM
    from Ojai,Ca

[​IMG]
    Los Angeles Theater, one of the many ornate theaters that populated downtown. Seems they tried to out do each other for opulence to get audiences. I went to a few but always headed to Hollywood if I could.

27. HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM

HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM
    from Ojai,Ca

[​IMG]
    Two Yellow Cars merge from different lines right next to a nice black Merc. with dual spots and a shaved nose, one of my favorite cars.

28. Bullet Nose

Bullet Nose

I grew up in Redondo Beach and our exchange was Frontier (37).

29. HellsHotRods

HellsHotRods

This was the Ocean Park Pier, just south of Santa Monica. It's demise is mentioned in the Documentary "Dog Town and Z boys" about the history of skateboarding in the area.

30. TKuhl

TKuhl
    from Pac NW

this thread is inspiring, it encompasses all the elements that influenced the STYLE. everything leads into everything.