Register now to get rid of these ads!

Help. I need all opinions, before I jump

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dirtroad, Mar 4, 2010.

1. Dirtroad

Dirtroad
    Member Emeritus

Today, I will be with Dusty for the last time. He will always be alive in my heart. The funeral is in Toronto at 2:00. A date and time that I will never forget. I told my wife (Cindy) that I feel like a big part of me died with Dusty. Her response brought a smile to my face for the first time in a week. "You two always did everything together".

I am leaving for North Carolina on Wednesday. Dusty's son in-law (Steven) is coming with me. I think my son Jason will be coming also, If his Boss will let him. He's told me that he works for a real prick. He works for me.

Today is the hardest day in my life. I have always found it hard to display my feelings to another man. But, I loved him, and I wish I could have him back just to tell him.
    My advice too all of you is, Don't let the fear, keep you from telling anyone how you feel. Because their gone all to soon.

Once this is over, I have promised myself, that I will get drunk and cry.

Thanks for letting me rant...Newt

2. A spiritual message to all. Keep your eyes and hearts open as God works in your lives, as I always say He does not close a window without opening a door, more is yet to be revealed. I have a story to tell that opened my eyes to the reality of life, maybe one day I will share it. For now we all can express our sympathy and empathetic feelings for Newt and Dustin's family and friends. The healing process will begin and smiles will return, the loss will be remembered, and we all can learn from it. There is an older crowd that hangsout on the Hamb doing the Hamb-Jive. This story I'm sure has us all pondering our own fate. It is time to take a moment to reflect on that and emerge with the gumption to go after your dreams. Live life to the fullest, enjoy your hobby, burn some rubber, shift them gears, take that cruise, pass it on to the young ones, but most of all focus on why and give thanks to the Man:):cool:.

3. ratrodder34

ratrodder34
    from Irvine,ky.

Wow.....If you can read this and it not bring a tear to your eyes then brothers you have other problems. He was living his last days with a big smile on his face and didnt even realize it. OR maybe he did realize it and was ready for the other Journey....the one that never ends...Prayers to him,Newt and their families....

4. 333 Half Evil

333 Half Evil

Newt,

Just by being there with Dusty throughout all you both endured, he knew how you felt. Real friendships are rare, and they can be a bond that is better than that of blood. You know in your heart that Dusty loved, cared for and cherrished you...and the same goes for Dusty. Rest assured, he knows you loved him, otherwise you two would have not been soo close, for soo long. Once again, be strong brother...not only for you, but for Dusty, his wife and family, and cherrish the memories. Last but not least, EVEN THE STRONGEST OF MEN CRY.........

Al

5. Ebert

Ebert

Newt,
    Thank you so much for sharing your personal stories and emotions...it has been very touching to all of us here. You and Dusty's family are in our hearts and you have are arms firmly around your shoulders. We know today and the days following will be tough, but it sounds like Dusty would want you to stay strong....he must have been a helluva guy.
    Eric

6. DirtyWoody28

DirtyWoody28

You said it brother.

7. dutched32

dutched32

Very sorry for your loss. I didn't know Dusty till this thread,but he and I realated on a mutal understanding for we have both lost our leg.For not knowing him he told me some words that made me feel not so alone about my recent amputation,his words were a great motivation and always will be to me. My prayers are with you Newt,and all of his family and friends.

Tom

8. 39 chevy kustom

39 chevy kustom

My thoughts and prayers to all. God bless .

9. deVco

deVco

Rest easy my friend. We will be together again.

Newt

10. Boyd Who

Boyd Who

Wow. I'm another one who read Dustin's original post in this thread and have been waiting to see what he found. I just finished the entire thread and I'm sitting here with tears runnng down my face. What a tragic ending.

My condolences to his family and friends, and especially to you, Newt. Thank you for sharing your thoughts and memories with us.

11. I too just found this thread and cannot stop with the tears. Tears of joy and tears of pain, may God have your Hotrod waiting for you Dusty. He'll wait for you too Newt, you're the greatest friend he could have. Give the family my condolences too if you would please.

Chris...

12. Like others here , I began following this story about a fellow Canadian and his dream . His quest was so well described and interesting that I couldn't help checking back frequently for the next addition .
    What came next just floored me !

Thankfully, Newt was here to help us know Dusty a little better .
    I regret that I never had the chance to meet the man .
    My sincere condolances to Dusty's family and to Newt and family

Jim

13. deVco

deVco

True words. This has opened my eyes and broken my heart
    God Bless you...Newt

14. 333 Half Evil

333 Half Evil

Welcome aboard Newt. Glad to see you on. I'm sure it's a tough one this evening, but you know Dusty is smilin right know thinking..."Ha, he is now an official HAMB'er. What a Newt"!!! I hope that all are doing as best they can be. Still thinking about you all. God Bless.

Al

15. deVco

deVco

A special thanks, Al.
    You've been a light in these dark times. Today was tough. I'm going to keep my promise to myself. After I get back from South Carolina, I'm going to get drunk, Cry, and carry on. I will never forget Dusty, or your kindness.

Thank you my friend...Newt

16. screwball

screwball

Newt if you dont have one find yourself a hot rod and come join us you and all your familys will be welcome at any Hamb meet and greet.

17. deVco

deVco

Thanks Screwball
    Well it seems that I already have a stable. Donna told me today, in a quiet moment, that Dusty has willed me all of his cars including the 32 and the shop, I dint know how to feel at this time. Will I enjoy them or will I create a shrine with them? Dusty will never stop surprising me. Even from the here after.

I will be down that way often. I have family in Kingston and my Daughter lives in Smith Falls

Thanks so much...Newt

18. 333 Half Evil

333 Half Evil

Newt,

You must know know for sure that even tho you did not get the chance to tell Dusty how you felt, He definiatly knew. Such an act is just proof of the impact you had on him, and how much the friendship meant. An incredible jesture for an incredible man.

Al

19. skoh73

skoh73

Hey Newt,
    I hope everything went as well as it could have for everyone today. Yep, there are gonna be tears, but soon things will begin to gradually get better. Your kid's boss seems like a pretty decent guy to me. You will have a very memorable trip back from South carolina; your buddy with you all the way.

Be well

20. r0yal

r0yal
    from winnipeg

Just read the post, very sad read. Rip dusty.

21. GaryB

GaryB
    from Reno,nv

sad day indeed.Rip Dusty

22. rd martin

rd martin
    from indiana

so sad. newt, one thing for sure, when you drive any of those cars you know who will be cruising with you! hang in there, things will get better. rip dusty

23. GrantH

GrantH

A gift that only you can understand the amount of love that it holds within it. If you didn't understand the friendship completely before, you should now. Dusty seems like an amazing guy, as do you.

24. As I said God does not close a window without opening a door, and more will be revealed! This story will go down as the most heartfelt, and it will get better yet, you will see!

25. terd ferguson

terd ferguson

Newt,

Welcome to the Hamb. I'm so sorry for your loss. I've been sending prayers your way since I read this last night. What a pair you two made. The story of friendship really warmed my soul. And the passing of your friend broke my heart. Keep your chin up knowing you got to have such a special friendship like that. It's not something you find every day.

I live in Concord, NC. If I can be of any help what so ever while you're down this way, PM me for my number. I'll be thinking about you and about Dusty's family.

26. skoh73

skoh73

Newt,

I am sure that if you need any help at any stage of your trip you can post on the HAMB and you will have people who are willing to help. Don't be afraid to ask for anything.

27. Newt: Prayers for Dusty's wife and kids also for you as you struggle to overcome the loss in all your lifes. Gary

28. Lono

Lono

RIP Dusty and blessings to his family and friends.

29. Sir Woosh

Sir Woosh

My sincere condolences to the family and Newt who I hope will think about packing a lap top computer with him when the time comes. Even if you don't physically hand it to Dusty when you see him again, it will be there in spirit and you know you don't want to miss the look on his face.
    This is another reason the Hamb is really special to me. We can share wonderful moments together, and care during the sad times. The tears on my cheeks are divided. Some are for the loss one that I didn't even have to meet to know he was special
    , the others are tears of joy for the laughter and good times I know he brought in life.

We'll always remember when we hear "the Rainbow Song"

Last edited: Mar 25, 2010
  30. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

My condolences also .How upsetting .Good luck Newt