Register now to get rid of these ads!

New project: '37 Ford Pickup

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kustom Komet, Jun 11, 2008.

1. Kustom Komet

Kustom Komet

Here's the first start-up vid. The victory beer was flowing freely.

-KK

2. Here is a link to my pictures of that frame.

http://s206.photobucket.com/albums/bb93/ELpolacko/1937 Ford truck frame/

3. Roothawg

Roothawg

They (shock mounts) looked a lot taller without fenders. They fit nicely in there.

4. 48fordor

48fordor
    from York, PA

Thanks for the extra info - I could see the tab but couldn't tell how it was attached.

5. Nitcat

Nitcat

Great build, I hope he enjoys it!

6. Great build and inspiration to get my 36 pickup done. I have the same problem with running boards. Your repair tech is great.

7. zoobchop

zoobchop
    from ohio

I am VERRRRRY DEPRESSED (impressed) AND I HAVE A REPUTATION for being a real dick about other peoples work. First Class,And YOU are dooing it !!!
    :)

8. Kustom Komet

Kustom Komet

A little update:

Owner found a set of NOS(!) '56 Merc Medalist dog dish hubcaps. We tried one on, but the white center didn't look quite right. So the centers were painted navy blue and now they look like they should be there.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also installed the Limeworks sprint car wheel - a very nice piece.

[​IMG]

Very close now.

-KK

9. ntxcustoms

ntxcustoms
    from dfw

very tasty! looks like it's gonna be a blast to drive and dependable to boot...

10. WOW....This will be a very big help in finishing my 40 PU project, THANK YOU for taking the time to take & post all the great build pictures, the finished PU looks great! cw.

11. Burny

Burny

Great build. Thanks for posting.

12. howco

howco

Thanks
    I'm knee deep into my 37, this was a real inspiration.....
    Beautiful work......
    :D

13. DYNODANNY

DYNODANNY

Those caps look nice, I agree that with a dark color rim those caps will pop. Your truck is real nice and original.

14. Kustom Komet

Kustom Komet

This truck is done and delivered, and currently cruising around Sedona, AZ, doubtless adding to the scenery that the tourists point out to each other.

After it was completely sorted, I installed the hand controls.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I've done these before, but they had to be modified to fit the tight available cab room. The control handle had to be shortened on both ends so it would clear the door handle, new brackets were made for the gas and brake pedals, and the brake rod had to be modified so it wouldn't bind during pedal travel. I then mounted the high/low beam switch to the right side of the controls, and it was done.

With this style of control, you pull the handle down for gas, up and push forward for brake. Because this year range of Ford pickup was not known for generous leg room, it's fun to drive it with the hand controls and give your foot a rest.

-KK

15. Roothawg

Roothawg

I forgot about this post. It deserves to be brought back up. Steve does nice work.

16. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

Wow, OLD post, but very inspiring....any "2 years later" reports from the Sedona road?

17. Kustom Komet

Kustom Komet

Well, there is an update, but it's not all happy. Bill, the owner, passed away this last April. Before he passed, he and his son did a few other things to the truck, like installing a new set of Mummert heads:

[​IMG]

and changing the gear ratio from 3:70 to 3:25. They reported that the heads bumped the HP noticeably due to better flow and more advance possible with aluminum heads.

Bill drove the truck about 800 miles, and had a lot of fun with it. No problems either, which I am really happy about. His son Robert inherited it, and it's in Mesa now where it will be seen at local shows.

-KK

18. The37Kid

The37Kid

Just found this thread, sorry for the passing of the former owner. Did anyone research to see what the drag car was that it used to push start back in the 1950's-60's? Bob

19. Roger53

Roger53

Sad to hear about the owner but glad he was able to get some seat time . My hat is off to you SIR for building a great looking truck and for keeping it passed live . So what are ya buildin now? Roger

20. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

Wow...that's a bummer. Hopefully, he had a long fulfilling life with loving family to keep his memory alive and well. Stoked that he got to enjoy this bitchin' truck for a while!!

21. Kustom Komet

Kustom Komet

Since that truck, I've been doing a few non-Hamb Mustangs, and the next project is a replica Bluesmobile Monaco. Also not for this board, but cool nonetheless. I might chronicle that build on Dogfight.

-KK

22. KustomCars

KustomCars
    from Minnesota

KK , Truck is looking great ! Good job!

23. HawgHead

HawgHead

KK, First of all, outstanding job on the truck, real first rate workmanship. Second sad to hear of the owners death, luckily he got to see the project finished and spend some time driving it before passing.

All that being said, am I the only one who doesn't really like the mix of the old faded rusty with the brand new shinny? I'm sorry but in my opinion all the dull, faded and rusty just detracts from all the shinny and clean. The radiator shell really was a work of art until it was installed on the truck, then those faded rusted fenders, in my mind just defeated all the time and effort put into the shell.

Had it been mine I think I would have taken some good photos of the original artwork on the doors, repainted the whole trunk in a plain simple dark blue, maybe even a satin finish and then recreated the artwork on the doors. Still a great truck and a job very well done.

Scott

Last edited: Jul 22, 2012
  24. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

I like the contrast, personally. A lot.

I'm very sorry to hear of the owner's passing. I'm glad he got to enjoy his truck first.

25. aerocolor

aerocolor
    from dayton

I am also drawn to the mixture of keeping the patina flavor with the drivability of the new chassis and drivetrain. Ya get it all that way.

Everyone likes old trucks and they`re great until you make them too nice and quit using them.

We`re starting on our new shop truck this fall and I`m leaving it unpainted over a new chassis. Thanks for sharing the build. Lot`s of very good ideas there.

Our start:

Attached Files:

• 001.jpg
      001.jpg
      File size:
      360.4 KB
      Views:
    • 003.jpg
      003.jpg
      File size:
      373.3 KB
      Views:
    • 004.jpg
      004.jpg
      File size:
      466.8 KB
      Views:
    • 008.jpg
      008.jpg
      File size:
      369.7 KB
      Views:
  26. Kustom Komet

Kustom Komet

Scott,

If it was mine, I would have done a few things a little differently. Nothing major, and I think that leaving the patina was a great idea. You can see the Ferrara Spring lettering beneath the Sandy's lettering, and the distressed paint is intact and still holds a decent gloss. You can't fake patina like that, and fresh paint would make the truck nice, but all that history would have been lost. In the end, everything you see was chosen by Bill, and he had a vision. The fact that he had good taste as well made it a great deal easier to build enthusiastically.

Aero,

That cab looks rock solid, it will be a real nice truck to build. I can see it in a similar way, with your shop lettering on the doors, and maybe some tasteful period pin striping over the patina.

-KK

27. ididntdoit1960

ididntdoit1960
    from Western MA

sorry for bringing this back up - found it off a link from another thread - My buddy is the one that "found" and bought this truck at auction - Its was under a lean too - exposed to the elements - not in a basement - and it was used at riverside speedway to transport and race go carts of some type...The vintage picture was actually hanging on the wall at ferrara spring and frank gave it to my buddy when he went to ask him about the truck - Interestingly enough, Sandy's also had a speed shop (hence the hopped up flatty) that was billed as the "worlds smallest" and was featured in an early mag at some point - while he owned it we always called it "the sandy's speed shop" truck - if it said that on the doors he'd still own it! Ferrara spring is still in business too - I am going to bring them my F100 axle to straiten and they will build me a new set of leaf springs.

28. Mart

Mart

Followed this thread early on, but missed the part about the owner. Really sorry to hear that - at least he did get to enjoy it.

I really like the use of the cream, on the wheels and the grille. The whole thing turned out really nice.

I'm doing a 41 with a Y-Block, there will be a lot of similarities.

Mart.

29. Roger53

Roger53

Just reread this and liked it as much as the first time. Roger