Register now to get rid of these ads!

Courtesy light project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by xafalcongs, Mar 21, 2010.

1. xafalcongs

xafalcongs

Ok gents, I'm a single digit midget over here in Asscrackistan and I'll be home soon. I want to get a few wiring projects wrapped up before I put the car away for 3yrs while I PCS to Japan.

Does anyone have a wiring diagram for courtesy lights + dome light using Ford 2 wire jamb switches?

I'm sure I could nug this out but I've got 4 weeks to do everything non-car related at home before I PCS so I'm looking for a ready made solution if anyone has one. Thanks all.

--J

2. Generally the dome and courtesy lights are fed 12 volts at all times and the ground circuits for the bulbs are spliced to multiple grounds through the various switches.Usually the door jamb switches are grounded when the plunger is out as in when the door is opened. A two wire switch can be used in different ways. Sometimes its a through circuit in and out and sometimes they are 2 separate circuits to ground.A 2 separate switch to ground switch was sometimes used for the key in warning on a newer car.If your switch is an in and out just feed the light ground circuit to one terminal and then feed the other terminal directly to ground.When the door is opened and the switch bridges the internal contacts the path to ground is complete and the constantly fed 12 volt light will turn on.

3. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The two wire switch setup should be just a switch in the middle of the wire supplying power to the light except it goes in the door jamb instead of somewhere else. Hot wire to the switch, wire from switch to light, ground the other side of the light.

But as Ratmotor said above a lot of the dome and courtesy light switches are grounding switches for the light (s) involved.

4. xafalcongs

xafalcongs

Thanks guys. I got online and dug up a Ford diagram and the 2-wire jamb switches just run power. All bulbs are grounded to the interior framework with the socket acting as the ground. Should take a good afternoon of work to wire it up.

--J

5. I think I would be switching it to the later style. Less chance of burning out the wiring that way. A short would wipe out the harness while a short with the later style would just turn on the light.....