Register now to get rid of these ads!

has your car been in the movies? share your stories

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by oldpl8s, Mar 21, 2010.

1. oldpl8s

oldpl8s

I made a few bucks driving my 1928 Buick in some footage for the movie Seabiscuit a few years ago. It never actually made it in to the movie but it was an interesting experience. They drove my car several times without asking me while I was in wardrobe, so I will never give up the keys again. Today I was contacted by "mistervintagemachine.com". Has anyone dealt with them?

2. Vimtage Iron

Vimtage Iron

Have not heard of them but be very careful, I have one lady that calls now and again and tells me horror stories of what some other companys do to cars when they rent them, its not pretty, she has the ABBA agency, such as filling a guys car with coment dents, rips, no pays and lies be careful who you rent to and don't let the clowns have it without you there, Tony Van Beek had a 37 Chevie fire truck in the Seabiscut movie you may have seen it.

3. bulletproof1

bulletproof1
    from tulsa okla

my jeep was in alot of offroad videos,they used my 53 ford in the movie "the killer inside me" its coming out this summer

4. Dan Warner

Dan Warner
    from so cal

My '29 is in two scenes in Deuce of Spades.

DW

5. RAY With

RAY With

I have a 51 Ford truck that was in the Movie "HOPE" produced by Goldie Hawn and shot in Anderson texas. They took good care of it and paid $600.00 for a days shoot.

Attached Files:

Gene Boul and kiwijeff like this.
  6. My '66 Dodge Coronet 500, and two other O/T vehicles of mine are in the movie "Heaven's Rain" that just wrapped up shooting in Oklahoma. It'll be released in early '11. We were with the vehicles about 90% of the time, so having them unattended was not a concern for us.

They paid us for use of the cars and pickup, paid for my wife to stay overnight in a hotel when shooting ran long, always ensured we had a tank full of fuel at the end of each day's use, and were really great folks to work with. We had heard horror stories from others concerning movie use of vehicles; but as far as this particular production goes, we had zero problems...probably because either my wife or I were always in eyesight of the cars.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2010
  7. Dealing with movie producers is a "pain in the ass" been there,
    Having built the "Death car" for Bonnie and Clyde,Its not all glory.

kiwijeff likes this.
  8. My grandpa's old 1972 Chevelle that he owned in the 90's was a background car in "without limits" the story about Prefontaine. It was never showed in the movie though, they delted that scene.

9. railroad

railroad

Does the 6 "0" Clock News count???

10. RichG

RichG

My brother in laws '70 Chevelle was in the indie movie "Eight Lanes in Hamilton" (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0166177/). The production crew ignored his warning about checking the oil and ran the motor dry. They ended up compensating him for a new engine, so it turned out okay I think. BUT, had he not built the engine himself it would have cost him more than they paid...FWIW

11. stude54ht

stude54ht
    from Spokane WA

Stude in the background of a very brief sciene at Bonneville on the Discover Cannel.

12. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

[​IMG]

my Olds had a race scene in the movie "Hot Rod" where it raced (and lost) the star of the show, the Hot Rod Willys. The photo above shows the real Olds and a tribute Willys. This all occured before my ownership.

13. almost .....no one to watch the kids the day it was supposed to happen. the movie is IT CAME FROM TRAFALGAR, my buddys wagon is in it though

14. Bullet Nose

Bullet Nose

My Studebaker has been used on a TV show and in a movie.

[​IMG]
    The TV series was called Brotherly Love and featured the Lawrence brothers. I drove the car onto the set and onto a lift where it sat for two days. The episode is now on YouTube in three installments .....

and

and

The movie was shot 4 years ago but still hasn't come out. The working name was Razor and there is a trailer on YouTube .....

It's a horror film staring Richard Moll and Sid Haig and they used the car for 5 days. I drove it each day and Richard Moll drove it about 50 feet for three or four takes. I had to back it up for him so he could do it again. Still hoping it gets released some day.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2016
    kiwijeff likes this.
  15. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yes, but long time ago, after AG hit the big screen, in the early 70's, a lot of producers wanted to get in on the quick action (MONEY), so there were a bunch of related films furiously put together!!
    Dick Scritchfield (LA ROADSTERS) had his famous 32 hiboy in many films previous to AG (American Graffitti), & had a good relationship with different transportation heads at the studios, when they needed roadsters for different scenes they would contact Dick & he would in turn, ask members of LAR if they wanted to participate, so there was always that opportunity to have your pride & joy in some scenes.

I was fortunate enough to have been included in some scenes from "Hometown USA"
    & "Hollywood Knights", we had a great time experiencing how the film set lives!!!

As far as car bashing goes, at least back then, make it written plainly that the company involved will pay for ANY damages incurred while vehicle is being on the set.

I remember when Pete & Jake were making "The California Kid" with Pete's 34 3wnd., after they were finished with all the gravel scenes, Pete had a bunch of "road rash" incidents, but in the end, the movie company paid up & the film was a great success
    at the start of Street Rodding wayyyyy back then!!!!!---------Don

16. My Dad's old '63 Thunderbird was in an opening scene of one episode of the '70s TV series "Police Woman" with Angie Dickinson. It's there, rolling towards the camera, then making a right turn onto a side street. That was it. Four seconds.

17. RatRoy

RatRoy

Well sorta,,,, at a Super Chevy show in L.A. I spotted this VHS tape that had my Camero Race Car doing a burn out on the cover. I purchased all he had and after giving them to my friends I watched the tape and found out I was only on the cover......:(

Attached Files:

• Cup.jpg
      Cup.jpg
      File size:
      308.1 KB
      Views:
    kiwijeff likes this.
  18. Ob1

Ob1

Arent there laws against false advertising?

19. gasserjohn

gasserjohn

my 48 chevy p/u was in clint eastwoods movie million$ baby
    in the trailer park it is on film shooting it out the front window of the truckthat clint is driving &again out the back windowof the truck he is driving showing clint &costar with the truck filmed between them
    only copy i saw was the copy sent to those members voting on the awards show did it make it to the final cut???

Attached Files:

kiwijeff likes this.
  20. In the 70's, I rented a couple cars to the TV series C.H.I.P.S. to be background for a street, road race scenario. My 2 cars were low and road race like. However, the 2 cars doing the road racing were a 55 Chevy jacked up on rear shackles, and a 67-8 Cougar jacked up on shackles. Both also with skinny tires. Funny how much money the entertainment industry spends/wastes, and still gets it wrong. But, it was kinda cool when Eric Estrada traded his CHP helmet for the Chef's cap, and served us our food. I thought that was really cool of him to have that sort of casual attitude. I remember him calling the potatoes....spuds. It was a fun few days

kiwijeff likes this.
  21. My ot 70 challenger ta was in Born on the forth of July for about two seconds, but they paid 50 bucks for it.

22. wyoming

wyoming
    from My house

may aunts car was in the jerk [​IMG]
    my car made the cover of the local derby movie
    [​IMG]

kiwijeff and Barn Find like this.
  23. In 1995, the Super Chevy Show moved from Bako to Pomona. At that event, I debuted my 1968 Camaro, Grumpy's Toy IV that I built as a tribute to Bill Jenkins 1st Pro Stock car, that he actually converted from an existing Super Stock car. Year One reproduction parts was a big help with the car and got me a spot on a T.V. show that featured those events. After they edited it, I kinda looked like more of a jerkoff than I really am.:eek:

kiwijeff likes this.
  24. AntiBling

AntiBling

"I can fix those shocks for you."

One of the best movies ever and I love that scene.

25. KRITTERSKUSTOMS

KRITTERSKUSTOMS
    from JONES, OK

My mama was on "cops" when she stole the weiner mobile!!!!!!

26. wheels1950

wheels1950
    from PA. USA

Not a car in a movie
    But my son and I did a van with Hydro's for the tv show,Jackass with BAM'S father and his uncle in the van with Hydraulics coming out of a fast food drive thru

27. amphicar

amphicar
    BANNED

I have an Amphicar that was used in the 1995 production of "Pontiac Moon" with Ted Dansen.

Attached Files:

28. A-Bomb

A-Bomb

I am currently building a 32 pickup. The cab, hood and grillshell were mounted on an "AA" chassis with a stake bed for a movie. This vehicle was used in the "Untouchables" as Al Capones whiskey delivery truck. I inherited the 32 pieces after my friend,Ed Murphy, died suddenly with liver cancer. We also worked on the trucks used in the movie "Wild hearts cant be broken" nand "Driving miss Daisy". Ed was a genuis at mixing parts together of commercial vehicles to provide what the Production company wanted. They were not real particular about the details..LOL !!

kiwijeff likes this.
  29. williebill

williebill

The 51 Merc in "October Sky" belonged to a friend of mine.He was a helluva good guy,rented it to them,trusted them,and didn't go watch until near the end of the shooting.Anybody remember that dark green 4 door Merc?
    Only problem was it was originally pale yellow,and looked damn good.They decided the yellow wasn't drab and dark enough,so they had it painted,and didn't tell him.
    True story.My son and I worked as extras on that movie.
    I saw the car on the set,and didn't even know it was his car.I'd driven that car before,and given the owner some of the trim that was on it,and still didn't recognize it.
    I wouldn't rent a good car to any production company.
    That wasn't the only thing they screwed up on that Merc.

30. I bought a '67 Chevy PU that was in a background shot of "Rainman" when they were in Guthrie OK. Another time I had a stuffed dummy (named Al Gore, short story long) and he was used in the movie "Public Enemy", Al drove the Brinks truck they blew up and recently my '47 was used in the movie "Killer Inside Me". Long and boring in a hurry, don't know that I would do it again........