Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Drug this home today - literally

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Undercover Customs, Mar 20, 2010.

1. Undercover Customs

Undercover Customs

I have been bugging the next door neighbor for 3 years to sell me their 64 Rambler that has been sitting in their yard for 10 years. It's all stock, 2 owner car from eastern Washington. Well, they knocked on my door and told me that they are moving and aren't taking the Rambler with them and asked if I was still interested. Grabbed the chain and the 4x and hooked her up. It was sat there ten years ago and they set the parking brake which seems to be rusted in place. They needed it moved right away since their real estate agent was coming to take pictures of the house, so just dragged home.

It's a v8, auto, AC, pretty straight, missing a couple pieces of chrome. Need to lube things up a bit, free up the rear brakes and clean out a mouse nest, then I'll determine what all needs to be done..

Attached Files:

2. Chopperrides

Chopperrides

Nice! it's to bad they didn't part with it back then. You probably ended up getting a better deal now though.

3. calvinh

calvinh

Nice score and cool car. What motor is in it?

4. Undercover Customs

Undercover Customs

I think it's the 287 but the neighbor thinks it's the 327. Have to look up the numbers. The air cleaner is suppose to be in the trunk(won't open) and not sure it the decal on it would show cubic inch.

5. lo-buk

lo-buk
    from kcmo

Engine size decals were usually on the valve covers, that is where mine was.

6. BEAR

BEAR

Nice score

7. Undercover Customs

Undercover Customs

From the carb down to the exhaust manifolds is covered in mouse nest made from all kinds of crap. I'll get rid of that tomorrow and see what else lurks under there.

8. havi

havi

Great score! These can make great sleepers.

9. DrJ

DrJ

At least it doesn't have two too many doors.!
    Free is good.
    I can see that car looking pretty damn good with some '60's style grill, a floating or tunneled headlight area and tail light or rear trim mods.

If it's got a rotted out timing chain housing (I think they had the bolt on housing that year maybe I'm wrong, again?) swap in a different engine.

10. It needs a back half graft with ladder bars or four link. A narrowed diff with the biggest tires you can get under there. Some wheel tubs. A roll cage with extensions out to the front frame rails. Front springs need safety cable on upper A-frames to stop to much travel (springs can come out otherwise) open up the inner fenders and install the biggest meanest motor you can afford. Paint it "resale red" and have at it. (Actually a 401 or 425 nailhead would be wonderful in here. ) They are actually a very good looking car. They just need to be "ungrannied"
    Don

11. busch

busch

Ungrannied is right
    nice score make a great little hot rod

12. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

No, don't ungranny it! I like the sleeper idea. Pretend like it's 1966 and you want to go mess with GTOs and Chevelles.

How about a 425hp/396 looking like it just got yanked from a wrecked '65 'Vette, widened steelies, and a four-speed? Just attach the stock wheelcovers with sheetmetal screws, and maybe mini-tub if necessary to hide your cheater slicks.

-Dave

13. fitzee

fitzee

I started with AMC and have a soft spot for them.This is a cool find. I try and see if I could get it running and on the road as it is with some brake work and a front end checkup. Cut the coils and add a set of chrome wheels and drive it.Don`t know if she has the tork tube or not but if it is it is a big job doing a engine swap.the rear end would have to swapped out and reworked to take ladder bars or leaf springs.

14. oldwood

oldwood
    from arkansas

Survivor car!!! People at car shows like to see original.

15. Mopar 360 with a Six-Pac set-up on it! Narrowed Ford 9" or Mopar 8-3/4" rear axle, 4.10:1 gears...now we're talking!

Big drawback on the Ramblers is that they had the torque-tube driveline. Like Fitsee said, it can be overcome, though, if you wanted a modified drivetrain.

Or, if you want to stay AMC, a 401 AMC engine would be tits in this little Rambler. Stock interior with gauges under the dash. Some US Mags or Torque-Thrusts with blackwall tires. This has some potential! Far too many people dismiss these cars, just because. They make a great platform for all kinds of mayhem! Hell, look at the S/C Rambler Scrambler as a perfect example of what TO do to these babies!

16. VOODOO ROD & CUSTOM

VOODOO ROD & CUSTOM

Cool - Good luck with the rehab. It's too bad that people don't take minumal measures to cover these treasures ! !

17. Undercover Customs

Undercover Customs

I was told the motor was rebuilt about 15 years ago and has basically sat since. If it runs good and there are no tranny issues, I'll clean it up and use it as my driver for now. The interior is in great shape as far as no rips, tears or worn out springs and such- it just needs a good cleaning and new carpet. I would like to see it with 15 x 4 slots in the front and 15 x 8's in the back and about 2 -3 inches lower than it is now.

If the motor and/or trans are shot, all bets are off. I like the Buick idea, a nailhead and a 4 speed. Time will tell.

18. Dino

Dino

That was our family car when I was a kid. I always liked that car.

19. RodStRace

RodStRace

20. greasemonkey060

greasemonkey060

Wait wait, so did you get it for free??

21. Undercover Customs

Undercover Customs

No, but close enough.

22. greasemonkey060

greasemonkey060

Damn. Still cool anyhow, especially if you've been bugging them to sell it to your for awhile!

23. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

pretty cool score , post some pics of it being worked on

24. 454navyss

454navyss

nice score. im surprised the tires are still holding air. i like the idea of keeping the sleeper look, big block, steel wheels with hubcaps and cheater slicks FTW

25. Left Turn

Left Turn
    Member Emeritus
    from Omaha, NE

Lower it, play with the grille (maybe a tube grille), shave the handles, swap out the tail lights (not sure for what but swap them for the sake of swaping).. I'd paint it a deep candy maroon or burgandy w/ lots of flake.. And a silver or gold flaked top (or maybe white pearl) maybe with some panels (or lace).. Interior would get a flake wheel (or have the stocker pearled), flake the dash and all the exposed sheet metal inside, and I'd go with either white pearl vinyl, or silver or gold flake vinyl to match the top.. Add a set of astros, star wires, or tru spokes on pinner whites and you'd have a sweet cruiser... I'd add a juice set up too and possibly a nice stereo system for some cruising tunes..

Or you could go all aluminium 401 AMC, tub it, cage it, paint it black, and add a set of really wide and not so wide Torq Thrusts and go racin'!!

26. This is a 67 but it was a competitive car. It was originally a Shell 4000 car. Vern Christy bought it from AMC and we pooled our meager funds so we both could go racing. That is Vern driving at Cayuga probably about 1969.
    401 is aslo a great motor. (this car was a 290). I have done a few Rambler Hi perf motors . The one that impressed me the most was the 360. it seemed to respond to everything you did to it.
    Having said that I am still leaning to a nailhead buick for that vintage Rambler. Narrow, big power and cubes, fits almost anywhere. I can just imagine it showing up anywhere with one at a cruise night. You would have to wait your turn to have a peak under the hood.
    Don

Attached Files: