Register now to get rid of these ads!

update on Richie Willett's speedster progress

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by n1gzd, Jan 11, 2010.

1. When I was at the shop a year and a half ago it was there. Richie has a very creative mind, builds some amazing one of a kind creations.

2. SuperFleye

SuperFleye
    Alliance Vendor

Wow! That engine is beautiful!

volvobrynk likes this.
  3. 327-365hp

327-365hp
    from Mass

Richie is an amazing craftsman. He's has been hot rodding forever and has turned out some awesome rides. Visiting his shop is always a mind blower. He was featured in a Street Rodder Garage Scene. He did alot of work on this A sedan with owner Mark Rogers.

[​IMG]
    (Rebecca's pic)

Here's another look at his HAL motor. Everything he does is like jewelry.
    [​IMG]

Thanks for the update Rebecca, always great to see Richie's work.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2010
    kiwijeff and volvobrynk like this.
  4. harpo1313

harpo1313
    from wareham,ma

a master at eye candy,been droolin over his stuff for years.attention to detail is unbeleivable

5. irace2win41

irace2win41

That is not a motor...that is a work of art!!!!!!! Wow!!

volvobrynk likes this.
  6. n1gzd

n1gzd
    from Acton, MA

Since Richie has no computer I will give some details on his behalf. Pardon my spelling (no flames please for spelling).

REAR END:
    center section is from 35-49 Ford with 378 ring and pinion.It has a homemade conversion to make it a quick change and it uses an early Franklin back cover.

The side bells are cut off.
    Big pieces were machined to be welded on and holds two ball bearing cages on the inside to stabilize the cut off axles.

on the ouside of that is a 37-38 rear transmission mount (the inboard chrome piece that is mounted against the cut off bell). There were two ears that were cut off the transmission mount to make it symmetrical. There are two more of those modified transmission mounts out near the backing plate ends as well.

The black painted stabilizer arms were hand fabricated. Two sets of them which the four chrome equalizing arms are connected.

The half shafts were cut from torque tubes from 32-48 Ford. 4 torque tubes were cut in order to fabricate the two half shafts.

on each end of the half shaft there is a transmission to torque tube coupling (4 of them - two of them on each side). This holds the half shaft inline.
    Behind each coupling there is a universal joint (4 in all). These are early Ford - 28-48). Those were fabricated by cutting down 8 of them. (the reason is too complicated for me to explain). There is one picture that I posted earlier that shows what one of these looks like (before half shaft was installed).

On the bottom, the springs are 1/4 elliptic on each side. there is a space between the backing plate and the spring shackle where a bolt is visible (seen in at least one of my pictures). This is the bolt that holds the rear radius rod.

The backing plates are from 40 Lincoln Zephyr. The rear drums are also 40 Lincoln Zephyr. However, the front drums are 50 Chrysler Imperial. All of the drums had to be modified to take 7 lug wheels. Richie is not sure what the NOS wire wheels are. He thinks that they are Chrysler wheels. The front has 3 1/2 inch inside diameter, the rear has 4 inch inside diameter. The wheels have 60 spokes and a snap ring. The wheels are 18 inch.

Engine:
    The engine is a HAL conversion (double overhead cam with hemi head).
    Carburetors are two Siamese Winfield carburetors on y type bottom manifold (4 carbs in two groups of two).
    The magnetos are American Bosch.
    The transmission is 39 Lincoln Zephyr.
    It has a 9 inch Auburn pressure plate and disk.
    It has a dry sump oil system.
    This motor never came with a starter motor (had to fabricate a starter motor into the oil pan).
    The crank had to be extended out to run a generator and fan.
    The bell housing is part 32 BB Ford truck and part 49 Merc (he needed to cut off some and weld some of that in order to adapt it).
    The intake manifold and the exhaust pipe are hand made.
    The big 1/4 inch plate on front of the motor to mount the generator and fan was fabricated.

Richie would like to thank all of his good friends who helped him with the motor and rear end.

If anybody has questions, Richie would be happy to chat with you if you want to call him (no computer). If you PM me I can pass along his phone number.

Rebecca

Last edited: Jan 13, 2010
    kiwijeff and volvobrynk like this.
  7. Wow, what eye candy!
    Thank Rebecca for the update.

Jim

volvobrynk likes this.
  8. hugh m

hugh m
    from ct.

Aren't too many folks who put their own personal Style into their fabrication. You can look at that rear and have a pretty good idea who made it. Almost like Ron Finch in the bike world. In a format with so many bellybutton copycats, that's pretty neat.

9. I always dig seeing that guys work.

10. Deuce3wCpe

Deuce3wCpe
    from New Jersey

Some beautiful cahs come out of that yahd.

11. 1934coupe

1934coupe

Rebecca tell Richie I said Hi, I have met him in the early 70s at the BAR show and the NESRO meets as well as others in the North East. He always had impressive speedsters and I'm glad to see he is still around doing great stuff. Bravo.

Pat DiStefano Yellow 40 Willys Coupe, Maroon 36 Willys 4drsdn.
    Viet Nam Vet with one arm from E.Northport NY (71-80) in Vintage Tin Car Club LI NY

12. Django

Django
    from Chicago

Holy crap! That is awesome!

13. See now............We told you all that Massachusetts got talent!
    Boston builders rule!

14. n1gzd

n1gzd
    from Acton, MA

will do. I will see him saturday and will pass along your regards.
    Rebecca

15. cball

cball

The Hal is more beautiful in person than the pics show.

16. Bobby Green

Bobby Green

I think I'm in love. Is it wrong to love an old man that looks like Ben Franklin ? I say no.
    Rebecca, please put in a good word for me. LOL.

17. windjammer

windjammer
    from Illinois

Total amazing work!

18. 59KUSTOM

59KUSTOM

WOW! Scary talent!

19. BCCHOPIT

BCCHOPIT

I am such a ASS HOLE how did I miss this thread. That is bad ass... I dont think I will be able to sleep for a week.

20. Am I halucinating(very possible; I can't even spell it), or are there seven wheel studs?
    [​IMG]

volvobrynk likes this.
  21. swblandy

swblandy
    from scotland

front drums are 50 Chrysler Imperial. All of the drums had to be modified to take 7 lug wheels. Richie is not sure what the NOS wire wheels are. He thinks that they are Chrysler wheels. The front has 3 1/2 inch inside diameter, the rear has 4 inch inside diameter. The wheels have 60 spokes and a snap ring. The wheels are 18 inch. nope your not seeing things lol just some amazing shit.

volvobrynk likes this.
  22. wow... wow... what truely great craftman,s ship it is a insperation to me to try and achive to this level

23. encswsm

encswsm

Awesome build. Cant wait to see it finished

24. Bobby Green

Bobby Green

We need more updated pics of this build.

25. Amazing stuff.

26. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

I'm just amazed. Why don't we know more about guys like him? He certainly doesn't get the ink he deserves. I can't wait to see this one completed and in person some day. Gary

volvobrynk likes this.
  27. just amazing , but can i ask? Was such irs conversions done back in the days? Its not important to me , just wonder ?

28. He has had stuff covered in SRM and such. His Touring car is at teh Peterson (or another Ca) museum