Register now to get rid of these ads!

Looking for Header Advice - Ford 289

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by supercharged, Mar 20, 2010.

1. I have a 65 Futura with a 289 and C4 setup.
    I am thinking about trading out the stock exhaust manifold for headers.
    I am hoping I can find a set of long tubes that fit, before I settle on shorties.

I understand that Doug's Tri-Ys fit great, but I was wondering if anyone had success with other brands of long tubes, like FlowTech, Partiot, Hedman, Hooker or Summit(?).

These other brands are about a third the cost of a set of Dougs and my old girl will never use what those pipes are good for!:rolleyes:

Or am I kidding myself and are shorties the only way to go?:confused:

2. Deuces

Deuces

I'd go with a set of factory K-code exhaust manifolds... Those things last forever. You can still buy those new.... Or, you could settle with a set of stainless steel shorties......

3. Are you talking about Hi-Po exhausts?
    I was told by someone that the Hi-Po exhausts will not fit on a C-code 289 block?

Was I lied to?:confused:

4. Deuces

Deuces

I can't think of any reason why they shouldn't fit. The exhaust manifold bolt pattern on your heads are the same as the 289 hi-po heads.. Bottom line!!!

5. PackardV8

PackardV8

You didn't say anything about mods, so the following assumes you are running stock engine.

BTDT forty years ago. Guaranteed, on the stock street 210hp 289", all headers will give you are noise, leaks and rust. Without a bunch of time on a chassis dyno to tune the carb, you won't be a bit faster. If it were my car, I'd stay with the stock manifolds and add the Mustang duals with H-pipe. The HiPo iron manifolds will not make a noticeable difference either on a stock 289". That little-bitty hydraulic cam and tiny valve/port heads are long done making horsepower before headers would begin to flow more than the stock duals with H-pipe could handle.

thnx, jack vines

6. Drive Em

Drive Em

I have Tri-Y's on my '63 Ranchero with a 5.0, and they are awesome.

7. railroad

railroad

You can pick up a set of factory headers for little to nothing. If they will fit, you can step up to a set of replacements sold by a ton of outlets. Lotsa used sets out there also.

8. rickkane

rickkane

Summit sells a generic Tri-Y that works pretty well. I put a set on the 302 in my Shoebox. The only problem I had was the collectors angled in towards the trans. Also the passenger side set comes within 1/4" of the starter.

9. TigerII

TigerII

You might contact Ford Powertrain Applications.

10. woodywagon1965r

woodywagon1965r

Shortys are the cheapest and easiest plus dosent matter 4 speed or auto been running same pair on mine for 8 years just cheap hedman that and a x pipe flowmasters

11. Don't the early Mustang and Falcon share the same basic engine compartment (I'm not sure about this but its what I have heard)? If so you could just get a cheap set of headers for an early Mustang. You might check into something like these...

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/BIG-12102FLT/

12. Algon

Algon

I had a cheap set of full length Dynomax on my 64 Falcon with no real issues same as early Mustang. I also have the same set on my 64 Fairlane currently. Headers make a difference if they are sized and tuned from idle to top end, but as stated if it's mostly stock and going to stay fairly mild Hipo manfolds would be my pick too. A short tube unit on the other hand has all the draw backs of both choices in one unit so I just couldn't spend money on them. For something not worthy of building custom set in a really tight swap sure but full length headers are available off the shelf.

13. Kustom Komet

Kustom Komet

Hedman 88400 shorties were designed to fit '60-'65 289/302 Falcons specifically. I have used them in three cars and they fit well, work well, and are of nice quality. They don't clear a 4spd bell crank, but do work with automatics.

-KK

14. Through other discussions I have determined that I cannot use a long tube header and the only short tube that will probably work are Hedmans.

So my info search is over...Thanks:cool: