Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Today we bought a Willys!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by INLAW MODEL A, Mar 20, 2010.

1. Too bad it is not a 41 Gasser coupe. Oh well. It is still pretty cool. We went to buy a 8ba Flathead but someone stole it in the last 2 weeks. This Willys was in the shed and we bought it. We got it home, stuck in a battery and it started. We drained the boat tank of the old yellow gas and took it into the woods. David is driving it in the video below. It is a 1949 Willys CJ-3A. David wants to get it legal to drive on the road. He has some work to do!

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/GdVzI1vYduQ&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/GdVzI1vYduQ&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

2. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

perfect push vehicle for the Topolino! Already has the front bumper, easy in/out, has granny gears, easy to drive, easy to haul. Need I say more?

3. Rain_man

Rain_man

4. finally...he gets to REALLY push the pedal to the metal....good score!...like those CJ-2/3's...

5. Hi, my name is David. That video up there with the kid in the orange hat is me. The Jeep leaks oil and I have trouble shifting gears, but otherwise I think it drives really good even though we got stuck in the mud a few times already. I think it needs new tires because the tread smooth. I really like driving it. It is the best vehicle I have driven since the 48 Ford pick-up.

6. fiat gasser

fiat gasser

David,
    Great job driving your new jeep. Now Dad has to put you behind the wheel of the Fiat. You look like a pro already. My son is eleven years old and he loves to drive my truck around. Nice score on the Jeep.:D

7. porsche930dude

porsche930dude

My first car was a 1946 cj2a :) still got it. Check out earlycj5.com best forum around for early jeep stuff

8. hvychvy

hvychvy

Man,I could use that around here,snowin like heck right now!!

9. busch

busch

David thats awesome you guys get some mudders on the jeep it wont be getting stuck any more, a little more driving you will have shifting down to. Enjoy the jeep I started driving a 48 willys jeep pickup truck when I was 6 or 7 feet never touch peddls dad would start it I'd drive for hour before stopping we had 3 acres to drive on good luck

10. Sphynx

Sphynx
    from Central Fl

Thats cool I love jeeps I used to let my son drive my rock crawler in the woods when he was 10 he loved it !!!:D

11. ROBERT JAM

ROBERT JAM

David,Thats a great willys Take care of it,you are lucky to have one like that.Not to many around any more!!Cool

12. Spity

Spity

13. havi

havi

Always been a fan of flat-fenders. Nice find!

14. Hi, this is David again. My Dad took these pictures of me and my brother in the Willys. Today we are going to look at another one for some parts to fix it up.

Attached Files:

15. Hi David, keep the build pitchers comming. Got my dirst wellys mb(1944) in 1959.
    still on the road.

16. I forgot to put in the title that this was a barn find. No one new it was there except a bunch of people:D. It really was in a barn, and there was even a raccoon sleeping on a beam at the peak. We also found some (3) Bolens Versa-Matics.

David wants to get new tires for it and can't believe that 4 tires will cost $400. That is a lot of money he said. It's way more than the Jeep is worth! Now maybe he will begin to understand why we save our money and don't blow it as soon as we get it. It could be a great learning experience for him.

17. David, i guess owning topolinos goes hand in hand with owning 48 flat fenders..i got one i've had since my son and daughter were 2 1/2 and 1 1/2 years old..they're 21 and 22 now,,,you'll find they are just about unstopable with a lil tread on the rubber...also v-6 buicks fit em well....
    oh and for the record, if it is a 1948, which it appears to be, it is called a CJ2A...3's had a taller hood and a shorter windsheild...remember this when looking for parts....and if ya hit the local tire shops, there lots of old snow grippers ussally hanging around to get ya some bite...tell dad to check it out....

looks great rolling around in the woods there!!!!!!

18. SanDiegoJoe

SanDiegoJoe

David, it looks like you are having lots of fun out there in the woods man.

I dig the Jeep... keep your eyes open, I'll bet you can find a used set of tires.

- Joe

19. -Brent-

-Brent-

Very cool, David! You know what? Father's day is coming, you better take car of that guy! :D

20. hkestes

hkestes

I was a volunteer fireman in the small town I grew up in several years ago. We had an old Willys like that with a water tank behind the seats that stuck up about 6 inches above the body sides. We used it to fight grass and brush fires. That thing would go anywhere and was a blast to drive.

Good find and good luck with your rebuild.

21. BAD ROD

BAD ROD

Love it! My 12 year old daughter drives our CJ3A all over our property. She pulled some tree stumps with it a couple of weeks ago - she loved it. Sometimes she drives to and from school in the jeep. I always ride with her when she is out on the public (non-county maintained) roads - figuring I need to be in the jeep so I can get the ticket. ;) She gets a lot of "interesting" looks from the teachers at the school when they see her jump in the drivers seat and drive the jeep home from the school parking lot.

[​IMG]

22. gonmad

gonmad

Cool, so, is this a future ride for the boy?
    My stepdad has about a dozen flat fenders across his farm. Needless to say he likes them. He also has 2 1/2 of those millitary Mules or whatever they're called. Like a flat cart buggy with a flat 4 (I think) in the back.

I got a 51 willys flatbed truck sitting by the garage waiting for "someday"!

23. big creep

big creep

way cool! you have one very cool dad!

24. 333 Half Evil

333 Half Evil

Very cool jeep guys. I've still got the 47 CJ2A that my dad bought 30+years ago. I think it was already stated, but the jeep you guys have appears to be a CJ2A, not A 3. But it is a cool rig for sure. Does it still have the flathead in it? If so, be careful those things are prone to cracking valve seats. But, if you keep that jeep and fix 'er up, it is really simple to swap a 225 V6 into them with minor mods!! My dad and I did that to ours back when I was like 12 or so!! They also have 5:38 gears in those axles, so highway driving is not in your near future!!! But fourwheeling is!!! Fun times...Keep us posted.

25. Woodshop

Woodshop

Don't know what you paid, but those top bows alone are worth more then most of the rest of the parts combined!!

26. Yep, still has the flathead. I found this on the web so I think it is a 3a. My wiper is at the bottom and it does not have a split windshield:
    <table width="100%"><tbody><tr><td>CJ-2A: </td> <td>1st mass-produced civilian jeep. 1945-49 CJ2A - flat fenders, low hood, side mounted spare; 7 slot grille; split windshield with windshield wipers at top; has tailgate.</td> </tr> <tr> <td>CJ-3A:</td> <td>2nd mass-produced civilian jeep. 1949-53 CJ3A - flat fenders, low hood, 1-piece windshield frame with bottom wipers. More than 132,000 are made before the production ends in 1953.</td></tr></tbody></table>

27. oppssss.... i stand corrected.....

28. Love it!

Something with a granny low is perfect for a kid driver!

Sam

29. c57heaven

c57heaven

I learned to drive on a 69 Jeepster 3spd when I was 11 or 12. It was only a year or two old. Brings back memories. Enjoy the ride!

30. 333 Half Evil

333 Half Evil

Yeah my mistake too...I think it is the 3B that has the high hood, wasn't thinking 3A. DUH!!