Register now to get rid of these ads!

Help. I need all opinions, before I jump

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dirtroad, Mar 4, 2010.

1. GaryB

GaryB
    from Reno,nv

wow,that's really sad. He followed his dream

2. Dirtroad

Dirtroad
    Member Emeritus

Newt again
    I know that most of you only new Dusty from his postings on HAMB. I'm sitting here remembering the great times that him and I spent over our lives, and I would love to share with you.
    We met at the start of our 3rd grade year in Rexdale Ont. Canada. I was the new kid. He was the bully. He would deliver me an ass kicking daily for about 3 weeks before his Mother caught him. She dragged him to my place and talked with my Mother about how sorry she was and that his Father would kick his ass when he got home, and He did. They became fast friends and we were told that we'd better get along or there would be sore asses going around. We became best friends. Dusty always brought up the ass kickings that he gave me,at 8years old. I brought up the one I gave him at 19. He always said, Friends have to disagree once in a while or their friendship is not real. He was a very smart man.
    Dusty went away to Western University and became a teacher, I went to Carlton University and became a P.Eng. Threw out school we got together and talked cars and girls. All fast and expensive. Back then Dusty had a 36 Ford, 292 "Y" block, I had a 64 Chevy II 283 Shit box. We ran the cops around Rexdale ragged. One night Dusty and I had a few too many. Cruising down Kipling Ave when the cops pulled us over. We had his 36 and he was driving. The cop knew us and had been trying to nail us for a while on one thing or another. So, he was quite happy to see Dusty flop out of the OL' Bomb and fall on his ass. at that point I said "we're screwed" The cop then told us that he was taking us home to his Mother. I can still hear Dusty begging him to take him to jail.
    He went to teach for the Toronto Board of Ed. and became a very well respected teacher. The Kids loved him, and he loved them. He sat on many Educational Councils and worked his way up to become the Principle of a school for troubled kids. Dusty steered a lot of kids in the right direction, allot on his own time.
    He loved fast cars and especially Fords. He owned a 68 Mustang that he bought in 1970 from Cruikshank Ford in Weston with a 289, 4 speed. Within 3 weeks it had a 428 thunder jet shoe horned into it. we had to cut out all the front suspension and re engineer it. that car was FAST, after we had blew out the clutch, drive shaft, and diff. He was a regular at the Old Weston rd. Friday nite social meet,and did quite well.
    I was the bestman at his wedding and he was mine. I am the god father of his oldest daughter (Susan) and he was the god father of my oldest son (Jason) Dusty was very lucky with his investments, and when his father passed, He was left very wealthy. But 2 years ago we almost lost him, when he was involved in a traggic car accident. He lost his left leg, the use of his left arm,and suffered from head injuries, wich is what had brought on the stroke that took his life. He was 58. For those that didnt know Dustin Fraser, you've missed a great man.
    Monday I will carry my only true friend to his grave. God's speed Brother

Newt

3. Dirtroad

Dirtroad
    Member Emeritus

Newt again
    I know that most of you only new Dusty from his postings on HAMB. I'm sitting here remembering the great times that him and I spent over our lives, and I would love to share with you.
    We met at the start of our 3rd grade year in Rexdale Ont. Canada. I was the new kid. He was the bully. He would deliver me an ass kicking daily for about 3 weeks before his Mother caught him. She dragged him to my place and talked with my Mother about how sorry she was and that his Father would kick his ass when he got home, and He did. They became fast friends and we were told that we'd better get along or there would be sore asses going around. We became best friends. Dusty always brought up the ass kickings that he gave me,at 8years old. I brought up the one I gave him at 19. He always said, Friends have to disagree once in a while or their friendship is not real. He was a very smart man.
    Dusty went away to Western University and became a teacher, I went to Carlton University and became a P.Eng. Threw out school we got together and talked cars and girls. All fast and expensive. Back then Dusty had a 36 Ford, 292 "Y" block, I had a 64 Chevy II 283 Shit box. We ran the cops around Rexdale ragged. One night Dusty and I had a few too many. Cruising down Kipling Ave when the cops pulled us over. We had his 36 and he was driving. The cop knew us and had been trying to nail us for a while on one thing or another. So, he was quite happy to see Dusty flop out of the OL' Bomb and fall on his ass. at that point I said "we're screwed" The cop then told us that he was taking us home to his Mother. I can still hear Dusty begging him to take him to jail.
    He went to teach for the Toronto Board of Ed. and became a very well respected teacher. The Kids loved him, and he loved them. He sat on many Educational Councils and worked his way up to become the Principle of a school for troubled kids. Dusty steered a lot of kids in the right direction, allot on his own time.
    He loved fast cars and especially Fords. He owned a 68 Mustang that he bought in 1970 from Cruikshank Ford in Weston with a 289, 4 speed. Within 3 weeks it had a 428 thunder jet shoe horned into it. we had to cut out all the front suspension and re engineer it. that car was FAST, after we had blew out the clutch, drive shaft, and diff. He was a regular at the Old Weston rd. Friday nite social meet,and did quite well.
    I was the best man at his wedding and he was mine. I am the god father of his oldest daughter (Susan) and he was the god father of my oldest son (Jason) Dusty was very lucky with his investments, and when his father passed, He was left very wealthy. But 2 years ago we almost lost him, when he was involved in a tragic car accident. He lost his left leg, the use of his left arm,and suffered from head injuries, which is what had brought on the stroke that took his life. He was 58. For those that didn't know Dustin Fraser, you've missed a great man.
    Monday I will carry my only true friend to his grave. God's speed Brother

Newt

4. Toner283

Toner283

I don't know what to say, I'm shocked. My condolences to his friends & family.

5. 333 Half Evil

333 Half Evil

Newt,
    I can not imagine what you are going through. Posting your memories here not only helps us understand Dusty, you, and your friendship it helps you get through this tough time. It brings tears to my eyes reading your posts, but please feel free to post any and all you want. Be strong, and remember all the times you have shared. GOD SPEED....

6. Deathtrap Kustoms

Deathtrap Kustoms

Beautiful story Newt. Few of us have had life long friends like that, and when they go, that hole in your heart never heals. Hey Newt, can you PM me, I'm a filmaker and would like to talk to you about this story.

7. Dirtroad

Dirtroad
    Member Emeritus

Thank you
    t's a terrible thing to say, But I didn't hurt this much when my mother passed away. My wife and I have spent the last 36 hours with Dusty's Wife and Daughters. I'm exhausted. I have made all arrangements for the services,and the burial.It has only been since we got home that it has hit me hard. I cant say I've ever cried like this.
    When we were in the south looking for that Deuce, I'd never seen Dusty as happy. The last two years haven't been very good for him. But I never ever heard him complain. He was always trying to help others. When my mother died, he sat with me and talked for hours and offered his shoulder freely. He would bring some of his students into our garage and let them work on what ever project we were working on at the time, and made them feel useful. He won many awards for his work with troubled kids.
    Tomorrow, they are having a special service for him at our church. He gave his all for his family and his god.
    I,m alone in my office. My wife has let me have some time to reflect. I feel good telling you all about Dusty. But I could go on for days. I'm going to miss him, badly.

Thank you for listening..Newt

8. skyspop

skyspop

Very sorry for your loss,man,Im sitting here reading this whole thread sat night,with great wonder how the car hunt will turn out,and then read of the tragic loss,cant help but think how lucky of you to have had a great friend for so long and he to have you also.This board is awesome,hope it can help you get through this time.thank you for this time....very sorry ,for you and his family...

9. Toner283

Toner283

Son, this is one of the times that you should have read the whole thread first.... really.

Newt, I am only a bit more than a couple of hours from you. If you need any kind of help, PM me & I will do what I can.

10. calvinh

calvinh

Man I am speechless. Prayers and thoughts to you and his.

11. Newt, very sorry to hear such a sad ending to this story. You are a lucky man though to have such a close friend in your life for such a long time. I envy you for that and nothing can ever take away your memories. I know it's not much consolation, but from your words, it sounds like Dusty had some of the best days of his recent life on that trip with you looking for the Deuce. I could tell it from your words and his. Feel good that you were able to enjoy that with him-imagine if you didn't go how you'd feel. You were a good friend and I'm sure where ever Dusty is, he's thinking about the good times you guys shared.

12. ridgy didge

ridgy didge

PLEASE READ COMPLETE THREAD BEFORE POSTING

My condolences to the family and to you on the loss of your buddy.

13. Newt, very sorry to hear about Dusty's passing. I'll be praying for his wife and family and you. This is all very heart breaking .

14. Newt, I'm sure that Dusty was a great guy..he had to be to have a friend like you. Condolences to you, and his family.

15. The37Kid

The37Kid

This has to be one of the sadest stories I've read on the HAMB. Prayers and condolences going out to Dusty and his family and friends.

16. redlinetoys

redlinetoys
    from Midwest

What an unbelievable story. I have kept coming back to read about the adventure of looking for a car and enjoyed reading about someone doing what we all love to do.

What a trip to be able to have the money to pretty much purchase any rod you want, have the blessing of your wife and a best friend to do it with. And not just talk about it, but just go do it.

Dusty followed through and had a great time doing so. He found the car of his dreams.

Then, I come back this morning and, total shock. I am SO sorry to hear of the ending. We will be thinking of Donna, the kids and close friends. Newt, thanks so much for allowing us into the private side of the rest of this story.

Our prayers are with all of you.

17. roddinron

roddinron

I finally got around to checking back to see if Dusty had found a car, and was floored to read this sad news. Life is short, but at least he had a great adventure and was enjoying life till the end.

18. So sorry to hear this news, thoughts and prayers go out to Newt and family.

19. -Brent-

-Brent-

Thanks for sharing that with us Newt. I hope you can find some solace here.

20. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

I've read this whole thread hoping he would find the car of his dreams. How sad for it to end like this. It sounds like you and your friend had a wonderful life and he touched many lives. My condolences go out to you and his family may he rest in peace.

Frank

21. Rudy J

Rudy J
    1. Austin HAMB'ers

Wow man, what a story. My condolences. . .

22. 333 Half Evil

333 Half Evil

Newt,
    No need to thank me...it is the least I can dot to let you know this is something we all care about. I'm sure I speak for most on the HAMB when I say it is my pleasure to offer condolences, thoughts, prayer, and most of all a ear/shoulder for anyone who is going through what you are.

I really appreciate you taking the time to share your memories/stories. It is hard to read without tears coming to my eyes, but I know if I go through something such as you are that it would be great to be able to "vent" some of the greif and frustration with someone who is willing to listen and give support. THANKS goes to you. I hope all goes as good as it can for Dusty's family, and for your family as well. Dusty knows you are a great man and most of all sincere friend and that says a lot. Tomorrow will be a very tough day for all of you. Be strong, and remeber all the times you guys shared. Many many thoughts and prayers will be with all of you for sure.

Al

23. Oh, man. That's gotta be tough to take. I feel bad for the family and friends but I see a guy who died doing exactly what he loved to do....chase down cool cars. RIP, Dusty.

24. Wow, this is shocking....sorry to hear...I've been following this from the start.....very sad news....prayers to both families.....R.I.P. Dusty....

25. Dirtroad

Dirtroad
    Member Emeritus

Newt again
    First I would like to thank 333 Half Evil, for posting on the main board. This is a hard time for all of us, and your words have been a great comfort
    Again, Donna and I Thank you

Today we had a special service for Dusty at our Church. Donna and the Girls lit candles, I read a allege. Our priest told about his service to the church. It was very overwhelming. and it touched many hearts. I only wish we could do more, he deserved more.

After the small greeting at the church, Donna and the Girls came back to our house for some quite time. Our conversation came around to the HAMB. I took Donna into my office and kick it to the Board, showed her where to look (Dusty and I spent many hours surfing The HAMB together) and left her alone. She was about 2 hours looking at all of Dusty's postings. After, she came to me and thanked me. She asked me to tell all of you "That you are special people. You have embraced a man that none of you relay knew and treated him like a friend. That is very rare in the world today". It comforted her to read all of your condolences, and she will always remember your kindness toward Dusty.

After some time passes and we look for closure, I will leave Dusty's site on the HAMB. I will open my own. I will leave Dusty's Dirtroad site open, so that I can look back and remember his whit and his love of the hot rod way of life.

Thank you Newt

26. I SMELL SMOKE

I SMELL SMOKE

my condolences to dustys family and friends

27. 333 Half Evil

333 Half Evil

Newt,
    I'm glad you are ok with me psting Dusty's passing on the board. This thread has been such a hard one...I was really enjoying the whole thing knowing Dusty was going after his dream...like soo many of us wish we could...then the unthinkable happened. There have been posts on the board about how some members pass away without others knowing, so I wanted to let the others who were not following this particular thread that we had lost antoher HAMB brother.

Donna, hopefully time will help ease some of the pain...and please let us know if there is anything we can do. The HAMB really is a close "family". Please be strong not only for yourself, but your daughters too. Cherrish the memories, and those who are still with you. I'm very sorry for your loss.

Newt, thank you again for being such a great friend/man...Dusty would be proud.

28. ts3x65mph

ts3x65mph

Don't Know What To Say ,Except Sorry To Hear Of The Great Loss To the Family & His Best Freind RIP

29. I can only say, I am very sorry and what a loss. God does not close a window without opening a door and for those of us who are moved by this story we can take time to reflect on how important it is to follow your dream. Recently a friend told me , "We only think we have time enough". Today I got a call from my lifelong friend of 51 years before I read this news. I sit here going over our friendship as Newt has. My friend suffers with Diabetes and finally last year was able to get an old Corvette that he really loved. He called today to talk to me about it. now I see how important that call was as his wife has told me she did not think he would be here long. Dusty seemed like an accomplished man, he had and did alot in his life. Having family, friends, and a hobby he could enjoy at a high level does not get much better. My prayers go out to you Newt and his family.

30. Pugly

Pugly

Don't know what to say either, I was following the story and then came back to see and read this. I am truly sorry for your loss. Our prayers go out to you and his family. He was blessed to have a friend like you.

May he rest in peace.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2010