Register now to get rid of these ads!

obsolete window rubber dilema

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by gassersteve, Mar 17, 2010.

1. So I have called all the big names searching for window rubber for my car. I pulled out the windows before I had my car painted and now cannot find the rear window seal for my 1962 pontiac tempest 4 door sedan. Is there anyone out there that knows of any company that is willing to make 1 off rubber seals? I know this will not be cheap and I know there if any will not be very many people that will do this. Thanks for any help.

2. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Metro Moulded Parts says that they will make a "one off" if you pay. Go to their website http://www.metrommp.com/ and click on the "Manufacturing" link on the left side of screen.

3. zibo

zibo
    from dago ca

There's a guy in camarillo/ventura,
    he's usually at the long beach swap meet too.
    I'll dig for his card,
    usually has the hard to find shit.
    TP

4. Hot Rod Michelle

Hot Rod Michelle

His business name is MikeCo.

(805)-482-1725

5. stuart in mn

stuart in mn

Try California Pontiac Restoration at http://www.pontiacparts.net/ They sell a lot of NOS stuff. I didn't see any weatherstrip for an early Tempest listed, but call them - they don't necessarily have all their stock on the website. You could also check with the Little Indians chapter of the Pontiac club, they may be able to tell you where to find it. http://www.littleindians.com/

6. SoCal Merc

SoCal Merc
    from SoCal

7. ponchopowerd

ponchopowerd

steele rubber i belive they could make it or you can get a roll of the seal and make it your self

8. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

2x Restoration Specialties. Go online and match your pattern. I find it hard to believe that a 1962 Pontiac would have unique rubber parts.

9. gary mundy

gary mundy
    from Kansas

Steele rubber co handles all rubber for that car

10. I know of someone that needed a one off windshield rubber and had a mould made at Karr Rubber MFG. in El Segundo, Ca.

11. Steele has rubber for my car, but since it is a 4 door, they do not have the rear window. Nor does restoration specialties or cpr. I will check out mikeco and deffinatly karr is my last option, just spendy.

12. Ob1

Ob1

IF, repeat if, the 2dr and 4dr window gaskets have formed corners of similar shapes, and and the same straight areas cross section, modifying by adding or subtracting length as required is possible.

Use automotive urethane as a sealant at any joint you make. Make the sections slightly longer than needed to deal with shrinkage and glue with urethane, making sure the pieces are stable for the duration of curing. aim for the best finish on the exterior and interior faces, using a razor blade. Cut away any that pushes out into the glass or pinchweld channels with a razor.

I worked auto glass for 15 years.

13. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

Many of those gm cars share the same roof so if your roof line matches a 62 Chevy 4 door sedan roof line then just buy the window rubber for the chevy and use it on your pontiac

14. I have thought of purchasing 2 2 door seals and gluing them together, but I doubt the bottom corners are the same because the 2 door does not wrap around the car like the 4 door

15. If it's any help it's the same part for 61-63 Buick Special,Olds F85 and the Tempest.Might make it easier to find a new or a used one as last resort.