Register now to get rid of these ads!

Where do you buy your parts?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hot Rod Bob, Nov 27, 2009.

1. 4 pedals

4 pedals
    from Nor Cal

If at all possible, i rebuild things myself. New brushes and bearings in an alternator cost about $10. A new alternator costs $100. Easy math. Just did the generator on my truck a few months back. Did a starter for a buddy a month before that.Any moving part can be rebuilt.

I bought the only local mom and pop parts store in 2005. Couldn't make a living at it. I was buying parts for what the competitors (Napa, Kragen) were selling for. Volume makes the difference. Kragena and Napa can buy directly from a manufacturer, millions of dollars at a time, then warehouse and distribute it themselves. I had to pay an extra layer of markup, buying it from a seperate warehouse distributor. I closed up in Feb of 07.

Now I do my buisness with Napa. We were friendly competitors, would buy from each other frequently, the guys were knowledgeable, and I more or less had free run of the store. There staff has changed a little in the last few years, but they still know me, know my cars and projects, as well as others I frequently work on, and I still have run of the store. The local Kragen is full of bozos.

Devin

2. Captain Freedom

Captain Freedom
    from Upstate SC

The nearest store gets my money, but I rarely everr buy parts. I I keep alot of old junkers around and just steal parts off of 'em when needed. When there's not much left of em, crusher time! I've went so far as to swap engines (weird stuff like Ford FE engines & trans into a GM G-body) just becuase a timing-chain went out.

3. Swifster

Swifster

My friendly Studebaker vendor or NAPA.

4. Parts- Norwood Auto Parts in Iselin NJ. They're one of the last REAL parts stores in my area that deals mostly with repair shops so they know their shit. When you ask for valve cover gaskets for a small block they don't need to know if the car has bucket seats or an electric antenna to find what ya need.

Starter/Altenators/Generators- Middlesex Armature in Colonia NJ. They have a staff of longtime employees that do all the rebuilding on site, they stand by their work, and the owner actually works there. (imagine that in this day & age) Good folks.

5. low-n-slo54

low-n-slo54

oriellys or for the more specific trim stuff and other [parts chevs of the 40's. their stuf comes packaged usually in stuff that is military surplus or deal surplus packaging.

6. Gator

Gator

I live in a small town, we only have Advance and O'Reilly's. All the guys at O'reillys know me by name, the guys that work in the daytime (when I usally drop in) are all old-timers that know their shit, and I usually just go straight in the back and get my parts myself anyway. The parts are always good quality as long as you stay away from the cheap stuff.

I managed a store for a small indepenent chain many years ago - nothing irritates me quite as much as inept, incompotent, indifferent counter people.

7. HotRod33

HotRod33

I go to a local NAPA store... I have been dealing with the same guys for 22 years... They know me and I have no complaints about them...

8. KJSR

KJSR
    from Utah
    1. Utah HAMBers

I used to buy my stuff from Napa but if they have to order it they require a deposit and wont take a card over the phone. I have found it easier to order from places like Rock Auto and have it at my front door. 7 cars- I can wait a couple of days....

9. needed headlights for the daily, somehow blew one hi-beam and one lo-beam in the quads. So I went to the junkyard. A buck each, I bought four, found one that was basically brand new, ended up replacing both lows since the other was kinda dim. Hard to go wrong there. I dunno what they go for at the parts store but I bet it's more than $5 for just one.

Unless it's like brake shoes/hoses/lines or something - and I did salvage some new brake line when I pulled a rearend a while back - I pretty much go see what I can find used out there. The old cars? I have a couple parts cars to pick from for the '50 Chevy.

10. poboyross

poboyross
    from West TN

The Advance Auto Parts over here in Hackettstown, NJ is the nicest group of folks that I've dealt with....Autozone is closer, but no one knows how to find anything, Napa has experienced classic car guys, but they always have to order everything.

11. 50Delux

50Delux
    from Michigan

Im a service writer for a repair/hi-performace shop so I deal with them all.The best I find are the ol'timers at parts plus.Next in line would be Napa.I've found I can get some performace stuff from Auto Zone cheaper than our Vendor! It makes it nice getting my stuff 10% over cost!!!!

12. PIRATEKUSTOM

PIRATEKUSTOM

Wow! that was no help to me. only one EAS.

13. krimsonghost

krimsonghost

i tend to go through napa, first name basis with a few guys. they usually hook me up with a discount. I usually stay away from autozones do to their idiocy. I needed a thermostat, the dude that helped me out kept on bringing radiator houses. I kept pointing out the right part on the screen, but it took awhile. The really funny thing was the fact that the manager was standing behind him. I applied for that job a week prior, he was walking out as I walked in.

14. BEAR

BEAR

same here ....

15. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Special order stuff comes from Mr T's auto parts a local mom and pop setup that belongs to a long time friend of mine. Filters I get at NAPA and I get the good ones.
    A lot of the Day to day maintenance stuff comes from the O'Reilly store and I buy online. Note that they and others have several grades of parts and if you always go for the cheap one that is what you get.

I usually rebuild my own starters and alternators most of the time except when the newer ones are too complicated. It takes me about a half hour to put new bushings and brushes in a Delco starter at under ten bucks.