Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features VINTAGE SPRINT CAR PIC THREAD, 1965 and older only please.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Joshua Shaw, Jan 17, 2008.

1. RippinChip

RippinChip

Speedwrench and LittleFauss,

In 1968, Aldo didn't have a ride and Mario bough him a new 4-bar Edmunds with a 4 cam Ford. Aldo ran the car 1 time in '68 at Rossburg. The pic on post #10249 was 1 of a series taken by LLoyd Masing on Sept. 29,1968. (USAC Sprint History 1956-1980, Hugness Publishing page 105).Aldo climbed the left front of Steve Krisilof, flipped hard and suffered a concussion.

I remember being told that Aldo went to IMCA because he couldn't pass the USAC physical in "69. His last crash was at an IMCA show in Des Moines in 1969, same car.

When Johnny Crawford bought the car in 1970, the Cammer was gone and and an Offy was in it. John sold the Offy and put a Chevy in it. I think King repaired the car after Rossburg and Watson after Des Moines, I'm not positive. I helped on the car after John sold it to Ted Brewer. When Brewer got it, he got the mounts for the Ford, Offy and Chevy. When Brewer and I stripped the running gear after Wentz Sr. flipped it, I bought the tank and bladder and Bing Metz bought the "kit'. I havn't seen Bing in a long time.he may still have it.

2. Racingphotoguy

Racingphotoguy
    from Wisconsin

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  3. racer5c

racer5c

4. wynns #1

wynns #1

Rabs,
    Again, thanks for the photos. I think thats Billy Pauch in my car. Beautiful day here, should be at the Grove!!

5. wynns #1

wynns #1

Old Bill,
    Do you remember the Poppewell #x sprinter that Vern Harriman drove? It would also compete as a midget! I believe it was powered by a Willys engine. The car was usually competitive. I think Vern was an underated driver. Any idea where it came from or where it went?

6. RABs32

RABs32
    from new jersey

Joe, Your welcome! I've got more to upload yet. I was gonna go and visit with friends and hit the GROVE tonite and Lincoln Sat, but I'm gonna stay home and paint a friends 32 roadster, and two harley's for a local bike shop, I really could use the extra cash. If I don't get out there before june I'll go when I go out to York with my '32, for street rod nats.....Rich

7. OldBill

OldBill
    from PA

wynns #1: I remember the Popplewell Willys well. It was originally done by (or for) Roger Popplewell in 1957. They told me it almost never ran as a midget-sanctioning bodies didn't like that engine. But it sure ran great against the URC Chevies, Fords and Dodges. In 1963 sold to Ed Terry, who converted it to a Chevy, then, in 1964, to No. 29 roadster for URC and a couple of USAC shows. Never worked well as a Chevy. I never could figure where they got enough room to make it into a roadster. Don't know where it went after that. I'll try to get a couple of photos up soon.

8. OldBill

OldBill
    from PA

Popplewell Willys X-URC. Left 1958 (Vern Harriman). Next 2 1959 Essex Junction. 4th: Movie clip of Ed Terry in No. 29 (with Chevy).

Attached Files:

9. Can anyone ID Pic #353 in Picasaweb ( Buildy)??? The car is an unpainted #16. It has the lines of the Dunseth #16, 2T brown, gold/tan or whatever.
    mlight9.

10. 48jeep

48jeep

I am very curious as to which Willys engine was used in the Popplewell Willys. Was it the F-head six?

11. 28dreyer

28dreyer
    from Minnesota

Anyone know more particulars about this Willy's engine?

In 1957 it would possibly have been the Willy's F161 which was an F head 6 cylinder with intake on the right of the head and exhaust on the left of the block. This sort of matches the picture except the air horns are centered.

At 161 cubic inches it was eight inches smaller than a Studebaker. I would wonder how well it ran as a sprinter, and presume they were not running the 226 which was a flathead six and most certainly would not be appropriate for a midget.

The 230 cubic inch Overhead Cam six didn't come out until 1962.

12. BZNEIL

BZNEIL

You lucky bastards! I have been looking forward to going to North Vernen for a while but I am stuck at home sick as a dog. There is a video of practice on iow that I had to watch a couple of times. Hopefully I csnmake eldora in a couple of weeks.

[/I]Interesting debate.. but screw it, there is more important things to think about:
    THIS SAT. NIGHT NORTH VERNON SPEED WAY in Ind. OPENS UP WITH SPRINT CARS! Winter is over! :D:D:D

Richcraft Mike and I drove his 32 roadster to this race last year. NOT MANY fans went because they were calling for a 100% chance of rain! We went, and got to see Hot laps, all the heats, and half the feature before the sky's opened up. Well worth the wet ride home in a roadster. :p

,[/QUOTE]

13. OldBill

OldBill
    from PA

A few more details on the Popplewell Willys No. X: Engine was reported to be
    157 c.i. 6-cylinder F-head on 30 degree angle. Home made fuel injection. Latham supercharger installed 1959.

Record (as sprinter in URC with Vern Harriman driving, probably incomplete): 1957 2 4th, 1 9th. 1958 5th in points, 1 1st, 1 2nd, 1 3rd, 4 4th, 2 5th, 2 6th, 1 7th. 1959 13th in points, 1 1st, 1 2nd, 1 3rd, 1 6th. 1960 18th in points, 1 3rd. Overall it ran consistently well, especially on hard, slick tracks.

14. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

I believe that is the Dunseth #16, at some point between its blue/blue paint job and its gold/bronze paint job.

15. 28dreyer

28dreyer
    from Minnesota

16. racer5c

racer5c

a few Pictures from the Columbus Oldtimers get together today, sorry didn't take very many

Attached Files:

17. Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Anyone know when Wally Campbell is supposed to have driven this car? :confused:

18. Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

[​IMG]

Any info on this car? Looks like a Studebaker President engine to me, so perhaps the 1930 Richards "Romthe Special"? That car ran for a number of years, changing around quite a bit, but never really looked like the above.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

19. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

For LittleFauss-
    Aldo Andretti at Eldora 1969.

Attached Files:

20. 28dreyer

28dreyer
    from Minnesota

You guys are playing with my mind again...a slightly off center set of stacks and a horizontal exhaust on the #3 midget...What is the engine?

21. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Columbus must have been great, Roy. Wish I could have been there, but we were practicing at Corbin. Dennis Unger has promised to send me some more photos.

22. LittleFauss

LittleFauss

.....'Thanks, Rootie! That's the shot I've been looking for all over! (That shot of Aldo in the Ford DOHC) My collection is so vast and so huge, I just couldn't remember where I saw it? 'Whether it was Racing Pictorial, Open Wheel, Circle Track or the many, many yearbooks and programs, etc. And I've definitely got to yield to "RippinChip"; that car is damn-near, signature Don Edmunds. Almost everyone of Don's cars utilized that 'chrome' roll-hoop over the radiator, especially on the midgets when he later went to the coil-over shocks. 'Even the super-gorgeous former Cleavor-Brooks and later Gerhardt Thermo-King Championship Dirt Car with the Turbo-Offy (the car pictured) that Don built had that chrome hoop over the radiator. One thing I remember very well was a friend of mine telling me back in the day that, when Mario bought that car for Aldo, "it was just like giving Aldo a loaded gun!"......'But what a car!!!

[​IMG]

23. Rootsgroup

Rootsgroup
    from Indiana

Michael-

I was in conversation with Doc Boles (a thrill in itself!) and the Studebaker was in view.
    I asked him if he could identify the wheels, and his first comment, after giving the car a slight frown, was "I don't believe that car ever ran at the Speedway."

Another gentleman identified the chassis as Hudson running gear.

Perhaps others can clarify?

24. hiboyroadsterboy likes this.
  25. Ebert

Ebert

Rootie,

I just sent this picture to Aldo's son, John, and he was overwhelmed by it. He had never seen it before and was very appreciative of you doing this. Thanks for sharing this with all of us and most of all, with John.

Eric

26. ron kramer

ron kramer
    from penna.

Heres one for racerbillyc.....
    [​IMG]

27. ron kramer

ron kramer
    from penna.

I'll add two more from Ken Felker of the Willys powered car at Williams Grove...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

28. RippinChip

RippinChip

racer5c or any one of the forum members who run into A.J.Watson.

Would you please ask A.J. what happened to the 4-cam Ford out of the Andretti sprint and who put the Offy in it?

29. racerbillyc

racerbillyc

thanks Ron don't even remember that car must of been 1 race ride when I wasn't there

30. ron kramer

ron kramer
    from penna.

You are welcome Billy. I should have added that the shot is from Westboro, Mass. 1971 or'72. IIRC the 38 was owned by one of the Boyds. I don't recall if your dad was the regular shoe or not.