Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Nor Cal (Sac) bone marrow drive..

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jim, Mar 11, 2010.

1. Jim

Jim

I know this may be O.T. but I have checked with Ryan prior to posting and the title does have the word drive in it ;)...

My wife has been diagnosed with Leukemia and will be in need of a bone marrow transplant after all of her her chemo. Some friends have helped arrange a bone marrow drive next Friday the 19th between 11am and 3pm at the Hard Rock Cafe in downtown Sacramento...

If anyone could make it that would be great, I would love to have people bring their Hot Rods and Customs but I have to say that there isnt much parking available at that location so it may be a pain...

Here is the flyer and a picture of us from lat summer..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  2. Jim....I'll be there for sure and working on bringing some friends and co-workers. As it turns out, many are already on the donor list...I guess I do keep good company after all.

Tell Brent to turn the truck off and take out the keys before locking the doors.

Fuck Cancer!!

XOXO

Rusk

3. 59 monkey

59 monkey

There is no pain involved in getting tested -- it is just a cheek swab. So, if you work on your own car, you probably have had a much worse injury. So, don't be a chump... show up. That way you can have a big karma pass when you drive your heap around town and get pulled over next time.

Oh yeah, having someone click you car remote over the phone and holding your phone next to the door will not open your car 15 miles away. Trust me, I know.

4. MEDDLER1

MEDDLER1

This really needs to be at the top! There are alot of us around this area,I will see If I can have the day off now!!!!!!!

5. GOONZ

GOONZ

If you can't make it, at least join the registry. They'll send a kit to your house, just a cotton swab. BETHEMATCH.ORG

6. 36brothers

36brothers

I am sitting in resource center at Seattle Cancer Care Alliance, having just completed a few days of tests to be the donor for my brother. Its a privilege to be able to do this for someone and I encourage you all to step up and help. We all need to step out of our selfish lives and give something worthwhile to someone.:):):)

7. doctorZ

doctorZ

jim-
    e-mail me the flyer so i can print some out and put them up in the store.
    [email protected]

8. Mr.Dean

Mr.Dean

Jim
    I will be there with Hoss and james give shelly a big hug for me!!!!!!!!!!

oh yea "CUCK FANCER"

9. KK Hickey Designs

KK Hickey Designs

I'm fairly sure I'm not eligible because I've broken my neck and I know that is one of the disqualifying factors but best of luck, I hope this helps her find a donor!

10. GOONZ

GOONZ

Hey Dr. Z I already put one up in the store, but maybe sneek it up to the front window an d post it!

11. low-n-slo54

low-n-slo54

I'll sign up to donate but being so far away, all I can do is wish you all the best and pray she makes cancer her bitch.

12. resqd37Zep

resqd37Zep
    from Nor Cal

Hey man my Prayers are with you and your wife. I'll do my best to make it out and definately get on the registry.

13. Jim

Jim

THANKS for the help getting the word out and also the good wishes...

Here is a picture from my alley last weekend to keep this "car" friendly;)...

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  14. Awesome picture ^^^^^. Mentioned this to my wife last night and I think we will be showing up.

15. blue collar guy

blue collar guy

I will be there for sure and I will try to drag some extra people. Scott *FUCK CANCER*

16. doctorZ

doctorZ

brent sent me the file and i printed a few more out and put them around the store and in front of all the tills.
    i'll be down there and i'll try and drag as many of the guys with me.

17. blue collar guy

blue collar guy

18. Deathtrap Kustoms

Deathtrap Kustoms

I'll be there and will drag all my bike riding budies there to!

19. GOONZ

GOONZ

20. river1

river1

you can look in your area for marrow drives and get it done there. you may not match shelley but you may match someone else who needs it.

later jim

21. Mr.Dean

Mr.Dean

22. For all of those out there who think this is so painful they would never think donating, here is my story. I had been on the list for almost 8 years when I got the call I was a match. What was involved was very little I had my blood drawn 6 times in all, I had 7 injections to make my bones produce more stem cells, and the collection consisting what is most closely resembling dialysis. They put a collection line into one arm and a return line in the other, and filter out the cells they want. They did it all without going into my bones at all, that is where the pain use to be. So don't be afraid of the pain as most all of it has been taken away with new advances in the collection technique. I would not hesitate to do it again, I know I am not a match here as I know they have my number and they would have called me by now and I would have gone. You also don't have to travel far as they can collect in one area of the world and send it to where it is needed, so you don't have to be a local. Most blood banks can now put you in the registry, when you go in to donate there. I wish your wife all the best and my prayers are with you and your family. For further information on the process feel free to contact me for first hand information (not only have I been a donor I am also a RN so I know a bit more than most about this) or you can go to Be The Match http://www.marrow.org/

23. i just signed up online. im at work in folsom today so i can't make it. keep your chin up jim. prayers sent.

24. Dick Dake

Dick Dake

Like useless said, I did it about 5 years ago. The shots make you feel like you have a touch of the flu and since my veins suck, I had a central line put in. That was the worst part for me but hell, it's only in a couple hours. The pop for food vouchers and even pay for time off work. It will ruly be one of the best things you can do in your life.

25. OldRacer

OldRacer

Since I'm an old fart at 79 they said I can't be a donor but I can still pray for your wife and family, God Bless !!!!!

26. If anyone gets tested and location is an issue, I'll kick in 100 bucks to Jim for MOOLAH to get the match to his wifes side. "Have marrow, will travel." I hate H A T E cancer with a passion. My sister fought and beat breast CA 10 yrs. ago.

27. BruceVE

BruceVE
    from Sacramento

Jim,

Just got back from Florida and had a chance to catch up. I'm really sorry to hear about Shelly. I've had a few members of the family die of cancer and I know how hard it is on both of you. Sorry I couldn't make it today but my prayers go out to the both of you.

Bruce

28. MEDDLER1

MEDDLER1

Sorry I couldnt make it either,I have a bad flu that has gone into my chest.....I will sign up online and have the package sent to my house using Tims link that he posted.I wish you all well.FUCK CANCER

29. MEDDLER1

MEDDLER1

I didnt meet the health guidlines due to my Asthma.Im sorry Jim.But I urge everyone to go to the site and join the registry www.bethematch.org.it is very easy to do and they will send the package right to your house.