Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Historic Stock Car Photos

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by indybigjohn, Aug 28, 2008.

1. Falconred

Falconred

A little something by request. I'll try to find some more later.

JR. Hanley and some other Hanley cars:

[​IMG], [​IMG]

[​IMG], [​IMG]

2. Falconred

Falconred

If you knew Rob you probably knew me also. I was always there for the first few years until I had to move away and still drove down to work a lot of shows. I was the photographer there for awhile then moved to the tower and announced and directed the races.

THIS ONE...................................................OR.......................THIS ONE
    [​IMG], [​IMG]

3. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

the 'HOT SHOE" i can here uncle bob yellin that name over the p.a. now.man gary could wheel a race car!!!!!

4. Falconred

Falconred

There used to be a standing joke about Bob testing the PA system. Someone would imitate Bob with something like this:

"Attention in the pits, can you hear this? Frankie Grill, there under the car wiggle your foot if you can hear this.................."

5. hanley_72

hanley_72

Thanks for those pics Falconred. Will be looking forward to more Hanley stuff. Post whatever you can. He is my fav..
    That pic of Ronnie Sanders with Bob Applegate in it is also a Hanley car. Not sure if you noticed.
    Love this old stuff.

6. wally bell

wally bell
    from VA.

Smokey's "hybrid" 66,
    fast it was......

7. Falconred

Falconred

I missed that.

8. Calhoun

Calhoun

I'm gonna post some pics from Nashville in the 80s. Some of the drivers I remember, some, especially if they weren't local, I don't have a clue. I'm counting on some help from you guys. Lots of local heroes came to Nashville for the A-A 400s.

And here is a perfect example. Pretty sure it's an Alabama car. I know it's not Butch Miller, and that's who most of us would identify with the 52.

Thanks in advance for the i.d. help.

If you like these, I'll post more.

[​IMG]

Tony Cunningham
    [​IMG]

Buddy Broome
    [​IMG]

Phillip Grissom
    [​IMG]

Wayne Carden
    [​IMG]

Steve Grissom
    [​IMG]

9. Racewriter

Racewriter

Could the 52 be Jimmy Means? I know he always kept a short track car, his cars were usually orange in that time period, and that he ran several All Americans. Plus, that looks like a late-70s/early 80s era Winston Cup decal on the B-pillar.

10. Calhoun

Calhoun

Just for Hanley 72:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Calhoun

Calhoun

I don't think so. Jimmy never ran an A-A 400. He only ran two races at Nashville that weren't Cup races after 1975. A late model race in May of 1976 and he finished second in an ARCA race (!) in June of 1977. I think after that most of his focus was on Cup.

12. txtom

txtom

The #13 is Billy Harvey from DelRay Beach, Florida. We all know his story.
    Blue #3 cars are also Harvey, with the 1 part of his number blanked out. Probably due to Steve Grissom being in the same race.

13. 35outlaw

35outlaw

I was thinking of Balough, Do you remember the black and gold #13 chevelle that ran there some? I read in a magazine that it was one of Smokey's chevelles (not sure if that's true or not).The magazine ,which is in my basement somewhere, said that the chevelle was recovered from Georgia and restored . I think the guy who raced the car was named Joe something. I do remember the car racing there but I'm not sure if that is the same car.

14. k9racer

k9racer

The 52 car the best I recal was driven at different times by Harold Lemley and Dean Bentley..Both were winners and very capiable drivers

15. BHfanGB

BHfanGB

If you have any, I'd love to see some Bobby Hamilton pics from his Nashville days! I've been searching for some for quite a while, but so far have only found pics of him and his cars once he made it to Winston Cup.

Any help would be appreciated!

16. Falconred

Falconred

This is the car you are talking about. Wheither it was the actual Smokey Chevelle I don't know but I saw it run weekly at GIS back then. The restored car was/is at Floyd Garrett's museum last time I knew of it. It was verified by Smokey and Smokey actually built the engine that is in it.

[​IMG]

17. Calhoun

Calhoun

Here you go.

Bobby in victory lane with his quarter mile car. Bobby Jr. told me this car still sits on jack stands just as it came off the track after the last time Bobby drove it. The place it's stored was hit by a tornado a couple of years ago and a quarter panel was damaged. Earl Thurman still owns the car.

[​IMG]

In action on the quarter mile. Bobby won a lot of races in this car.

[​IMG]

He actually drove both of these cars. In this photo he is in the #54. The 80 belongs to Tony Formosa. In July and August of 1985, Tony stepped aside and let Bobby drive the car. Bobby won 5 races in-a-row to firmly land on the Nashville radar.

[​IMG][​IMG]

The car he drove to back-to-back track championships in 1987 and 1988.

[​IMG]

After he moved to the Nationwide series they kept a late model for something to do on the off weekends. ;) Here are a couple of pics of that car.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Finally, in 1994 when he drove for Felix, he still had a late model to come home and play with. I think he built this in the shop behind his house, which would grow to become Bobby Hamilton Racing and earn the Cratfsman Truck championship 10 years later.

[​IMG]

18. Falconred

Falconred

The first time I saw Bobby Hamilton drive was at an All American 400 at Nashville. There was a young driver that they said was a local latemodel driver (thier latemodels at that time were Lemans, Novas and Fairmounts and such) who was making his first (or near first) start in the ASA-AllPro type cars. He made an impression on me as to how well he adapted and how well he drove. I don't remember where he finished but wasn't suprised when he got a chance to move up to NASCAR later.

19. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Great Bobby Hamilton shots, Calhoun! Keep the Nashville stuff coming. That's another place I really loved when I was with ASA.

20. Lugs Harvey

Lugs Harvey

Could the 52 be Jeep Plume (not sure on the spelling) from the Cincinnati area?

21. hanley_72

hanley_72

Calhoun-THANKS SO MUCH!!! they are great, if you have more please let me know. I am huge Hanley fan and collector. Have tons of pics of him if you would like to trade. Is that first pic the one they wouldn't let him race, the camaro/mustang monster he built. I remember the story in SCR mag from back then. Have to go find it now.

Falconred-thanks again to you for the Hanley stuff. Same deal with you as above if you are interested.

For the Bobby Hamilton fan - in 1987 we came down from here in Canada to run the 50 lap Sportsman race they held on the same weekend as the AA 400. Came down for 400 but thought, hey, let's go racing as well. Anyways, think I have a couple pics of Bobby's car. Let me check or send me PM and I can let you know. Also, still have the vcr tape off of TNN of the race and the hightlight package they showed of the 50 lap Sportsman race which he won. Let me know if you are interested.

THANKS GUYS, just love checking everyday for new stuff.

22. Calhoun

Calhoun

Here's more. And some of these I don't remember who they are. Hey, it was only 30 years ago!

My guess - Dennis Vogel?

[​IMG]

Just for you Lugs, I think this IS Jeep Pflum!

[​IMG]

The sponsor is from Louisville and the first name looks like "Steve" when I blow it up. Any ideas?

[​IMG]

Bob Strait

[​IMG]

Dave Jensen

[​IMG]

Mark Green. Yes the same one still running the Nationwide series.

[​IMG]

23. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

The 45 is probably Glenn Ohlmann from Louisville. He was nearly always sponsored by Truck Service Co. We lost him to cancer a few years back. I'm sure the 51 is Dennis Vogel. Great pics, Calhoun.

24. allstarracing

allstarracing

I'm not sure but I don't think this is Jeep. Seems his cars had some purple on them. He ran the last big block Chevy in ASA at the Dri Power 400 at Winchester. As I remember he led the race and was up front when it blew. I was helping Dennis Caves then and we had taken the big block out of his car the year before. I think ASA outlawed the big blocks after the Dri Power.Allstarracing

25. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

sm66p, thanks for the yearbook photos. I think they caught my best side. That was a happy time, when racing was really fun. Thanks again.

26. Calhoun

Calhoun

I'm pretty sure this is Bobby Dotter. Or maybe Bob?
    [​IMG]

Looks like the name on the door says Greg Guzzo, but he must have been a dnq, because his name doesn't show up in any results.
    [​IMG]

Now we start to get into some serious contenders. Dick Anderson:
    [​IMG]

Mike Eddy
    [​IMG]

Bob Senneker
    [​IMG]

Jim Sauter
    [​IMG]

27. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

The 79 is Bobby Dotter. The 27 has an ASA/Amsoil decal, and the only 27 I can recall is "Muttley" Kurkowski.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2010
  28. k9racer

k9racer

No the 52 was driven by Harokd Lemley of Grant Alabama. The car was owned by Charlie Parrish of Decatur Alabama also owner of valley pallett... The set ups were by Luther Click Huntsville alabama.. As per Harold lemley he said that Charley Chamblee built the car at the R&R speed shop.. The car ran the winter races at montgomery al.. snowball derby pcola fla..the aa 400 and some races at huntsville and Birmingham international speedway.. Bobby.. I will add all Jimmy Means short track local type cars were numbered 92..

Last edited: Mar 20, 2010
  29. BHfanGB

BHfanGB

Calhoun, thanks SO MUCH for posting those Bobby Hamilton pics! Those are exactly the kind of pics I've been looking for!

Bobby was such an underrated driver.... it's a shame that he never got a big-dollar ride. We'll never know what could have been, driving for a Hendrick or a Roush.

It's also a damn shame we lost him so soon.

30. twistedmetalvideo

twistedmetalvideo
    from Indiana

thx Dan, the actual correct website address is twistedmetalvideo.com