Register now to get rid of these ads!

HAMB Dragsters @ Eagle Field Fresno Dragway Reunion

Discussion in 'HA/GR' started by Toymaker, Nov 2, 2009.

1. Toymaker

Toymaker
    from Fresno,CA

After the successfull event we held on October 10th 2009 (see http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=347626 ) it's time to start planning our next event in May/June. We stuck to the original idea of '65 and earlier for the Hot Rod Gathering and will be having the 2nd annual HRG again in the fall. The spring event will remember Fresno Dragways here in Fresno, Ca. that closed in 1973 and with that in mind the Eagle Field Fresno Dragways Reunion will be open to 1973 and earlier vehicles. We will have Stock, Modified, Hot Rod ('48 & earlier), Muscle Car, Gas, HAMB Dragster, Open Comp, Top Eliminator classes and the return of 300' Mini Bike Drags. The only category that will have an elimination ladder is the HAMB Dragsters. Racers will be allowed to race as much as they want and who they want, with winners decided by peoples choice.
    The event will be promoted and produced in the same manner our Hot Rod Gathering was held. Only those in the know will know, $10 will get you in, $10 raffle tickets ($500 prize) will be available again and will still be honored as a general admission ticket, race entry still $20 (in addition to $10 admision), FREE camping, $5 will buy you a dog, chips and a soda, the other GREAT Eagle Field food will be available, DIRT Pits, flag starts and all the other MAGIC we enjoyed in October. I'm looking forward to reuniting with all the volunteers that made the HRG so successfull and hopefully Marks and his Firetruck will be availible.
    The raffle/fund raiser this year (Eagle Field is a non profit orginization listed as the Central California Historical Military Museum) will go towards purchasing our own barriers eliminating the 5 volunteer drivers and donated trucks that took 30 hours each to move the barriers we were so LUCKY to use. The pavement will still be marginal as it was in October BUT we're sure the GOOD TIMES will continue! RJ our MAD MAN Flag Starter has promised to return, the PA system will be improved, more restrooms are going to be ordered, and a dust control product will be sprayed in front of the spectators. Spectators are still advised to bring chairs and easy ups, there is talk of some portable bleachers but we'll have to wait and see if they materialize. There will be handicapped parking nearby but only '73 and earlier vehicles will be allowed near the track.
    Stormy Byrd has vowed to return and I'm working on a match race between Elmer Snyder and his 50's Dragster against a well known Jimmy 6 Dragster a magazine guy owns. If they both accept my invitation it will be a great show.
    With the thought of this event being '73 and earlier it occurred to me that is the Veitnam era and altough Eagle Field is primarily a WWII Museum they recognize and honor all service men and have a Helicopter that screams the era to me...................... introducing the "Iron Butterfly"
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The plan is to use the 'Butterfly as a backdrop for racer registration, consessions or maybe for the DJ. With all this in mind all servicemen get in FREE.
    We are also looking for honored guest to attend (Blackie Gejian and others) and join fans for breakfast. This is our plan and with the holidays, other events and hot weather around the corner the date is looking like May 22nd,
    So were on another mission at Eagle Field and your input is welcomed and important to us. Let us know your thoughts! Rocky

2. Katuna

Katuna
    from Clovis,Ca.

What would the HAMBster count look like by then? Might have a pretty decent sized field!

3. Toymaker

Toymaker
    from Fresno,CA

I would hope at least 8 by all the input I have. See ya there Charlie:D

4. Toymaker

Toymaker
    from Fresno,CA

I found out over the weekend there is another build here in the valley well under way, A GMC 6 middie. The field is GROWING guys, MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!! Rocky

Last edited: Jan 2, 2010

5. ThingyM

ThingyM

Well,,, If the $$$$$$$$ hold out, I'll be there for sure with my Lil' POS...With it's new intake and exhaust set up..

6. Toymaker

Toymaker
    from Fresno,CA

It's official, the 2010 Eagle Field Fresno Dragway Reunion will be held on May 22nd, the Hot Rod Gathering will be Oct 9th, see ya there! Rocky
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. buddym

buddym
    from Clovis

Hey Rocky,

It was great catching up with you the other day. Looks like Christmas is coming in May this year! Can't wait. Thanks again for all of your hard work to make this possible. Please let me know if there is anything I can help with.

All the best,
    Buddy Meddock
    http://buddym-hotrods.com/

8. Toymaker

Toymaker
    from Fresno,CA

Buddy here's a Flyer I think you'll like!
    [​IMG]
    Can't wait It's gonna be FUN!

9. ThingyM

ThingyM

Hey Rocky.. Are any of these "NEW HA/GRs" cars going to be at ANRA races in April..
    BTW. Tell Mark to get ready, We're just about ready to get with the program...

10. OBFB HA/GR

OBFB HA/GR

Hey Dick , how is the new intake and exhaust set up coming along. Let me know if you need a " tune up guy". Ha Ha . Hope all is going well buddy.

11. ThingyM

ThingyM

Nigel.. I've been working on my Fiat Altered trying to get it back together for this year.Lots of work to be done.. SOOOOOOO, The new intake has been put on hold for a tad. But the old one worked "OK" for time being. Will get back on it after the new motor for the altered is finished..You can be my tuner on the HA/GR anytime you want to be...Dick..(Sitting home hurting from my eye surgery today...)

12. Toymaker

Toymaker
    from Fresno,CA

I don't know if any new cars will be there but with you that makes 4:D

13. ThingyM

ThingyM

Rocky.. Whats this I hear, The Dragfest is a "Might not be" race..Seems finances are in the way..Heard anything.???? .Dick M..

14. greasel

greasel
    from Fresno, CA

Ours won't be, we're trying pretty hard to make it run by May 22.

15. ThingyM

ThingyM

Get'er done Grease..We'll wait for ya.. Would love to see it there...Dick M.

16. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

I called their offices and it's on.

Also, even though the FH and HR/B classes don't show on the 2010 registration form they're still included in the site's class listings.
    HA/GR will run in the FH class (open wheel flathead & 6 cyl), same as last year.

17. zombie

zombie

1st i've heard of this...

zombie

18. ThingyM

ThingyM

Zombie.. Glad your here.. You know how stories go.. But what was said was, Fuel guys asking mucho bucks.And BLAH BLAH and so on...

19. zombie

zombie

yes, i do know how the stories go. ha ha. there were a few reasons for not having the top fuel class this year. one being the heritage series race at firebird raceway is the same weekend.

20. Toymaker

Toymaker
    from Fresno,CA

OK Guys I'm working on the layout and this is what I came up with. I want to keep you guys together so you can decide when to come up and run together.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

21. Katuna

Katuna
    from Clovis,Ca.

Cool! Thanks for putting the RV parking up front. Guess I need to get my charging system fixed in my trailer. Had some "issues" last Oct. C/GD and HA/GR with there own pits. That's too cool.

22. Toymaker

Toymaker
    from Fresno,CA

I can't wait any longer! Zombie knocked this out for us (this is just a draft) and it is FANTASTIC!
    [​IMG]
    Bow to the MASTER:D

23. Toymaker

Toymaker
    from Fresno,CA

A quick update.........We had some events happen on Monday that will keep me from attending DragFest:( We really were looking forward to this event and supporting Zombie but life gets in the way sometimes. Anyways, I will be working weekends at Eagle Field getting things ready starting May 1st. If you would like to join the FUN:D let met know. Rocky

24. greasel

greasel
    from Fresno, CA

WHAT?! Man, sorry to hear this. Well, rail or not we'll be there, we're really trying to get this thing done for May.

25. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

We know about that "life" thing Rocky. If it wasn't so dang far we would come up and help.

We'll be there in the afternoon on the 21st if we can help then.

26. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

It looks like we won't be making Dragfest this year either. Too much damage from the blown clutch to get'er back together in the few days I have available. :mad:

Sucks, but at least we're still on schedule for the aerie at Eagle.

27. zombie

zombie

dragfest is back on for may 1-2. the decision was made about an hour ago. the weather looks good, and the track only had 2 other dates available, july 9 (100 degree weather), and the weekend before hotrod reunion.

zombie

28. Toymaker

Toymaker
    from Fresno,CA

20 Days until the BIGGEST HA/GR race on the WEST Coast! Field includes Old6's Slant 6 Middie, Joe Roseberry's Chevy 6 powered "Streamliner", "Gorilla" Racing's flathead Pontiac 6 powered entry, ThingyM's Chevy six powered rail driven by Royal Shifter, the team of greasel-kustomdlux & Saubo Nasty and our Falcon 6 powered HA/GR. Gonna be a "SHOOTOUT":D
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 2, 2010
  29. greasel

greasel
    from Fresno, CA

Is anyone else fired up for this weekend? I'm pretty excited, I guess :D

Richard from Brown's Diesel in Riverdale is bringing out his '32, a guy from Morgan & Slates is bringing out his '30-something truck. We'll be trailering our almost-but-not-really complete HA/GR Rail.

30. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

Yeah, fired up. Well, not quite just yet, maybe later this afternoon she'll fire up. :D

Still hammering away, I'll have the engine back in today. Talk about "up to the wire".

Greasel, it's always been that way for me. Hell, it still is. :D
    Don't know how much of that is due to just drag racing and how much is HA/GR but I think it's gonna take a long time to decide. ;)

I still recall our first tow-up to the "Sandbox". Didn't even have a cage on the rails or a steering wheel. Wasn't 'til our first "Grove" showing that she fired and wasn't 'til the following year we finally got to race'er.