Register now to get rid of these ads!

Mig welding in Tight places!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rustypipes, Mar 17, 2010.

1. rustypipes

rustypipes
    from san jose

I been encountering few instance where Im trying to weld in tight confined spaces where I cant fit in with my welding mask on to see what Im welding, But when take the helmet off Im able to get in and see but cant weld cuz no eye protection.

Was thinking about just rigging up some goggles with darker shade lens and wearing a beenie but really dont want to burn my face off with limited protection!! I was wondering what you guys do or if there is and equipment out there that allows your melon to get in to small spaces.

Thanks

2. GREASEMONKEY72

GREASEMONKEY72

i usually end up being uncomfortable or welding blind

i would think you could make some kind of mask with a face shield thatll let you get in tight spots, just never tried to make one myself

3. modelacitizen

modelacitizen

they make little hand held masks for situations like that.. I can't remember where i got mine but it's indespensable

4. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

I like it when my sensor panel gets blocked by something so my shield won't turn dark when I strike an arc.

5. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

6. Fordguy321

Fordguy321
    from Arizona

LOL yeh i hate!

7. Pat Pryor

Pat Pryor

yep

8. MEDDLER1

MEDDLER1

What about a nomex ski mask?I bet with one of those and some good goggles it would work.Nomex is a flame resistant material,alot of refineries require the workers to wear it hell I bet you could even get one from fastenal or grainger or look into racing safetywear.Hope this helps!

9. freakboy

freakboy

I just love when that happens! especialy how close i get to the weld just to be able to see what im doing.

10. onlychevrolets

onlychevrolets

Almost all my welds are hard to get at , I've learned over the years how to weld without seeing what I'm doing, then I check it out with a mirrow. Most of my stuff is over head and on top of something like a 3 inch pipe.

11. AntiBling

AntiBling

Some guys make actual leather hoods for just that occasion. I haven't made one yet but I should before I have the need for one.

Or you could walk the cup and weld blind if you know what you're doing.

12. brad2v

brad2v

I can tell you that welding barefaced will give something akin to hell of a sunburn!

13. onlychevrolets

onlychevrolets

yes Brad it will and over time skin cancer...

14. brucer

brucer
    from western ky

what kind of welding helmet you got?

i had a jackson, then switched to a hobart, and i finally scored a topend Speedglass helmet cheap. the speedglass helmet is alot more compact and lighter than the others i had..

there are also different size guns you can use..

other than that its just welding standing on your head ,running a bead lefthanded with your arm fully extended looking through one eye...

15. barslazyr

barslazyr

I took a pair of goggles for the cutting torch and changed out the lens for a 10 shade and it worked great.

16. Captain Freedom

Captain Freedom
    from Upstate SC

It works for the chinese
    [​IMG]

17. Nelsen Motorsports

Nelsen Motorsports

Now thats funny right there.

18. They actually have Nomex welding hoods or Pyrovatex is another flame resistant material. You can get welding hoods made of either from most welding supply places.

Where I work, someone made a hood out of leather and put an auto-darkening lens in it... The lens is just held in place by wire. It works great for welding in tight spaces.

19. choppedsled

choppedsled
    from Spokane WA

20. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

I seen guys just close there eyes , I dont know if cutting glasses come in different tint

21. mikeyfrombc

mikeyfrombc

22. curt56

curt56

You can buy a soft hood at any welding supply. If you need it more then once its worth the money

23. Rich B.

Rich B.
    Member Emeritus
    from Portage,IN

Burning goggles w/dark #10 lens, welders cap, and bandana
    over your face.

24. tiredford

tiredford
    from Mo.

I put on sunblock and close my eyes.

25. Lazer5000

Lazer5000

Just use bolts!

26. Belchfire8

Belchfire8

It's hillbilly as hell but I have taken a piece of cardboard and cut out a hole big enough to tape a lense over. Large enough to cover my face small enough to fit in a small place. Only problem is that you have to use one hand to hold it, but if it's that tight of a spot you can't use two hands in there anyway. I suppose you could rubber band it around your head, but even I am not that hillbilly....:rolleyes::D

27. williebill

williebill

Good ideas..Thanks to all..been a while since I checked out the welding supply store,sounds like I need a new leather helmet

28. Hal_396

Hal_396

I've used a sandblasting hood before with the changable lens. Removed the clear and put in a dark lens. Didn't have much welding to do so it worked out great. Sounds like a leather hood would be the better way to go.