Register now to get rid of these ads!

tire size

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by back2thewoods, Mar 15, 2010.

1. back2thewoods

back2thewoods
    from ct.

hey i need some advise on tire size.i have a 64 gmc. van, lifted with b.f.g. 33'sx15 street tread on all four. want to give it gasser look. i have some 8'' slots for front. want to go tall,maybe 30-31's. on 15'' rims. thanks bill.just done painting, gotta love satin blk with flames!!!!!!!

Attached Files:

2. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Maybe should have painted a '40 Willys coupe on the side :)

Ray

3. back2thewoods

back2thewoods
    from ct.

-wish i could afford one. listen i just stripped that van to bare metal, did the bodywork and the paint and flames myself,i come to this site to get advice from the best not insults. got it?

4. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Relax Dude!!............you obviously have no sense of humor as my comment was not meant to be an insult....although, now that you mention it, a van is hardly the stuff "Gassers" were made of. Do whatever you want with your vehicle...no skin off my nose......just don't take any fast corners with that high center of gravity...got it??

5. Thor1

Thor1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You need to settle down Francis.

While this may be the kinder, gentler HAMB, there are plenty of old-timers here that will happily light you up for copping an attitude. While it is admirable that you have done all of the work on your van yourself, and it looks to be of good quality, it's still a long way from a gasser as Hnstray said.

Spend some time listening and soaking up the atmosphere around here before you go off half-cocked.

Peace,

Thor

6. 333 Half Evil

333 Half Evil

I agree...SETTLE DOWN NANCY. Lurk around a little, and you will realise some shit goes with the territory...and if you can't take it then you may want to shy away.

Now, I'm all for being different, and a "gasser style" van is definiatly different. If you want some advice, and will take it without being an uptight ass, then I'd personally advise you to run something a litttle skinnier on the front than anything on an 8" wide wheel. Go down to a 4"-6" width, and stick with a skinny tire too. You can go basically up to around a 30" tall front(as long as it is skinny) and have a decent "gasser" look. Now, if you want to build your van in more of a "street freak" style, then stick with your 8" wide front, put a set of 50's out back and 50's or 60's on the front and you are there.
    By the way, if you do not like the thought of painting a 40 willys on the side, how about a chopper? That was a trend that was done on some vans back in one of them "days"!!!

7. 333 Half Evil

333 Half Evil

After lookin at the pics again, have you considered lowering the rear a little and or raising the front some? Not too many gassers had an "ass bleed" stance, they went more for a "nose bleed" stance....

8. back2thewoods

back2thewoods
    from ct.

the front is actually a few inches higher, i think a 30'' would work for the look im after.i remember seeing a chopper on the side of a van , i think in an old hotrod mag. i just painted a rat-fink in the cowcatcher airscoop, holding on for dear life im just going for something different. thanks for your help and suggestions. im fine just had to put judy in line!!!!!!!!!!

9. back2thewoods

back2thewoods
    from ct.

there's alot of little details i did, keeps me sane in the winter. rat fink on air cleaner, flamed shocks. shocks i found online where rancho blems, which are a great deal at 10 bucks a pop, and seeing i have quad shocks that saved me a bundle. flying eyeballs on breathers,just having some fun with the airbrush.major big daddy fan,have all the old monster models he did, even boss-fink!!!

10. Gene@Gearworksmfg

Gene@Gearworksmfg

you can run a 265/75-15 that will fit on that 8" wheel and get you right about 30.5" tall.

I think that van will make an awesome gasser! The little red wagon is like a van(ish)

BTW it looks really cool with the one piece door on the rear!

11. back2thewoods

back2thewoods
    from ct.

thanks, maybe bfg has some. i love the little red wagon, great wheelstander, a ledgend!!

12. Gene@Gearworksmfg

Gene@Gearworksmfg

Just keep in mind that the 265/75 will be a wide tire.