Register now to get rid of these ads!

Race Cars On The Street

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Mar 15, 2010.

1. Beach Bum

Beach Bum

Probably Jim Glickenhaus. He has that Lola and a bunch more seriously cool stuff including a Ferrari P3, a Ferrari P3/4, a Ford GT MkIV that was second at Lemans, and I believe the second Ferrari ever built. I think they all have license plates and I have seen photos of them on the street.

Cheers,
    Kurt O.

2. crosleykook

crosleykook
    from sackamento

That pic is awesome, but admit it- you know you really want a Kellison![​IMG]

3. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Red and I redid a Ford racecar GT40 with adding AC and some better sound proofing plus extra pads,for owner Brien Oneal ,but it was righthand drive and hard to drive on the street,he didn't drive it much.

4. metalshapes

metalshapes

I used to drive my Abarth on the street.

TC4.jpg

Drachten 001s.jpg

It was my only car, I drove it to work, drove it to the races, and drove it back after the race ( if it still ran... it came home at the end of a rope lots of times )

It was nuts...

Stripped & gutted interior so I had to wear earplugs on the street.
    I had to be realy carefull to not push on more than one pedal at the time if I wore my workboots, to and from work ( almost crashed once because of that )
    It got keyed in the parkinglot across the street from my job.
    It wore out parts that I should have killed on the track instead ( 6 gearboxes in one really bad month...)
    It was a cop magnet.
    No fan on the radiator, so it instantly overheated in traffic.
    11to1 compression ratio, so it was hard to find good gas for( I went to an airfield about once a week with a bunch of surplus army gascans in the car , where the passenger seat used to be, and dropped a shitload of money on Avgas...)
    It set off car alarms, and pissed off neighbours.

But it was also kind of magical...

So I'm building another Road Track/Streetcar again.:D

Last edited: Mar 15, 2010
  5. You're 100% correct. I think it was R&T magazine that did a feature on the M6B (cover car) in the mid-1970s. There were a group of guys in SoCal that had taken a lot of Group 7 (Can-Am) cars and put them on the street. I used to see them quite regularly when I lived in the Fairfax District.

You can add to the mix an Indy roadster that a friend of mine had found (and owned) that had been set up for the street. If my memory serves me well, it had a Healey six and trans in it instead of the Offy.

6. I have since a friend of mine at college had a J-5 back in the early '70s! :cool:

7. Plowboy

Plowboy

Yep, that is him. He also bought a brand new Enzo and had it shipped back over to Pinnafarina to have a new carbon Fiber body made for it to match the original P3/4.

They just got done building one of those new '57 Convertibles for his wife.

8. Pre-K

Pre-K
    from Ventura

Replace Abarth with Cooper 1275S, and this was my story, plus 2x weekly tune-up, frequent Yoko A007 replacements, and scaring away fellow drives with my slide/drifts, which required even more A007s!!!

Driving the Cooper was probably the most fun I've ever had with something that didn't fit between my legs.

9. metalshapes

metalshapes

Yeah, it was a lot of fun.

Test drives in the middle off the night to break in a new engine, or to do some carb tuning, etc...:D :D

10. Todd553

Todd553

Certainly not a road race car but we drove our G/BFR from Pomona to Bonneville in October of 2004. We went 207 on our first pass and eventually set the record at 210.881. I got in the 200 club. What a great week!

Attached Files:

11. Todd553

Todd553

A few more.

Attached Files:

12. axle

axle
    from Drag City

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha. You're absolutely right !

13. I've pretty much decided to do that to the Vette. But, a Drag car. A very very sick small block, and a NASCAR T-101 4 speed (read-bulletproof sonofabitch), and beef up the rear a bit. I mean, I want it sick with power, but on the street. I want power that'll spin the tires from a 50MPH roll on command

14. Weasel

Weasel

There's a dark blue street legal Lola T70 Mk IIIB coupe - a real one - that is often at the Main Street Garden Grove, CA Friday Night cruise - and it's for sale - or was the last time I saw Gary the owner.

15. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

Well, there it is...nobody will ever beat that. I remember reading about that trip. A true 210 MPH street car.....thats it...contest OVER! WOW

16. fitzee

fitzee

Attached Files:

17. Groucho ,a month ago a guy turned up at our house with a small block chev powered holden commodore [1987model,GM Aus]with a t-101 4 spd.The 355 sounded like a sprint car engine,when he left,the thing was outa control-instant revs,1st,2nd,third.Crazy shit.:D Im trying to find out the exact engine and clutch combo but the engine builder has passed on.I'm thinking about something similar in my 55 but maybe with a 5 spd tremec.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2010
  18. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Just Mad Max it. Toggle switch n blower. ;):rolleyes::D

19. OHV DeLuxe

OHV DeLuxe
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Norway

How about Zora Arkus-Duntov in his early days with his Bob racecar. This is what I found on his race car on Berlin streets.

Zora loved the feeling of being on a bike at high speed and the ability to lean into the turns as if the bike was an extension of himself--the ultimate feeling of control. "You only need your eyes," he said years later. "It"s stronger connection to my brain with motorcycle than connection with car." Racing his own motorcycle was everything he had imagined back in Russia after seeing his first motorcycle at speed.
    Zora, however, neglected to tell his mother and stepfather about his racing, and when Schlesinger showed up at his home looking for Zora, his parents temporarily put a stop to his competitive career. But they couldn"t suppress Zora"s desire for long, and eventually he resumed his activities under their wary eyes. His mother, who now seemed to be more concerned about his safety than she had ever appeared to be in Russia, kept urging him to get into something safer. Zora persisted in his attempts to race, but Rachel refused to back off.
    Eventually, Zora relented and bought a cycle-fendered "Bob" race-car, which had been built by an obscure, short-lived manufacturer of the same name. His Bob was one of only two built in 1922. It featured a three-speed transmission with a special U-joint that allowed the effective length of the drive shaft to change with the level of rear-wheel travel. It was powered by a 1500-cc. Siemens and Halske engine, which featured side valves and a three-bearing crankshaft. Zora described the sound of the engine as having boulders inside it. The Bob was set up for oval track racing. It was essentially a jalopy with no front brakes and fairly ineffective brakes at the rear. Despite its inadequacies as a practical street machine, Zora used it for everyday transportation.
    Zora was a relative novice in cars and had only recently learned to drive a car because automobiles had been so rare in Russia. He learned in an Adler that belonged to a driving instructor. Zora claimed he already "knew" how to drive mentally--just like he "knew" how to swim in Russia; the Adler simply represented his first hands-on experience in a car. But this didn"t stop Zora from driving his Bob as hard as he could get away with on the streets of Berlin.
    Zora went everywhere in the Bob and didn"t let long distances or poor weather hamper his enthusiasm for driving. When Zora began formal classes at Darmstadt in January 1928, he described driving with his stepfather Josef from Berlin to school at Darmstadt with two suitcases hung over the scuttle ahead of the cockpit like a pack mule and his tea kettle atop the Bob"s pointed tail. "No Russian ever travels without a tea kettle," Zora said. "On flat-land the car was all right," said Zora, "but get in the mountains and I feel screeching tires, brakes and I look over to see my stepfather"s eyes rolling out."
    The Bob was a disaster in the rain, with no windshield and a belly pan that held water. He eventually pulled the belly pan off the car altogether. Once in Berlin, he decided to amuse his passenger by using his feet to try to stop the car instead of the handbrake. He barely avoided ramming a bus in the process. Through it all, however, Zora was driving and having the time of his life--nothing was more worthwhile than this.
    The Bob also gave Zora an opportunity to demonstrate his hands-on mechanical abilities with automobiles. Although he never had any formal training as a mechanic, he had a basic knowledge of how cars worked. He also wasn"t afraid to grab a set of tools and get to work to improve the power or handling of a car. He developed a reputation among his small circle of friends as a mechanic with "golden hands." Nothing pleased Zora more than diagnosing a problem, fixing it, and then driving the results of his labor. In so doing, he kept the ill-tempered Bob running, even though it required constant tinkering. In Zora"s case, the result was usually a faster car, something he took great pride in. He began to think more and more about making a living around cars.

:)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 16, 2010
  20. neonloverrob

neonloverrob
    from newton, ks

Sonofabitch! It doesn't get any cooler than this! WOW! I LOVE this car!! I was born 30 years to late.

21. lostintime

lostintime
    from minnesota

Just finished, all that is left is chrome the pipes! 276, 3 speed, clutch, flywheel, starter, 4 wheel hydraulics and the nasty taillight!

Attached Files:

22. lostintime

lostintime
    from minnesota

23. dragsterboy

dragsterboy

Although it's not a "street driven" car,it did drive on the street at least once.Vancouver B.C.'s Jack Williams testing for the 1963 Winter Nationals in Pomona.He still owns the car,and just took it to the 50th Winter Nationals for the Cackle fest.
    Shane

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

24. Eastfarthing

Eastfarthing

Take a look at the Lotus 7 clones. There are factory built models, kits and a complete build it yourself movement for a clone called the 'Locost'. People are building everything from 1.6 litre 4 cylinder to V8s. Many of the homebuilt locosts will smoke a ferrari in autocross. The issue is power to weight ratio.

http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=46

25. woody2

woody2

Here's one from the land of the long white cloud.:D

Attached Files:

26. skull

skull

my 1931 chevy coupe dwarf car that was made in 1989 is now my street car.

the man started to build it and never finished it. the car was never raced. the guy he lost interest and put in a barn in 1991 and it sat there till l found it in 2006 and started the tranformation into a street car.

streched the frame 8'' inches and put in a V-twin for a more hot rod looking
    ride. speedway headlights, 39 ford taillights and DOT slicks.

Later

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 18, 2010
  27. skull

skull

my friends street legal sprint car. gets pulled over all the time.
    shows the paperwork and then the cops sit and talk to about how cool it is.

the car was built in bremerton washington in 1969. this winter and spring he's upgrading the car and when finished late spring, it will be viper red and bigger rear tires and no mud flaps.

Later:cool:

Attached Files:

28. bava17

bava17

i know, i know.
    only a little bit the same but very different.

Attached Files:

29. skull

skull

more street race car pics.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 18, 2010
  30. ehdubya

ehdubya

A bit early but here's a couple I posted in the prewar race thread.

On the eve of the 1904 Vanderbilt (doesn't look like they showed)...

[​IMG]

Miss Dahlgren (grand daughter of the father of naval ordinance from the library of congress where she's also pictured earlier doing girl scout stuff like digging holes and flag signaling) in her Mercer Spl
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]