Register now to get rid of these ads!

History The greatest time to have lived in America?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BAILEIGH INC, Mar 17, 2010.

1. BAILEIGH INC

BAILEIGH INC
    Alliance Vendor

I had a conversation with my father in law. "The greatest time to have lived in America" He told me he would give up everything in his life to live back in the old west days. Horses and guns.....

.....no thanks :eek:

I personally think being a teenager in the late 1940's and early 1950's would have been the greatest time to have lived in America. Right after WW2 and right before television. :cool:

Last edited: Mar 17, 2010
  2. I think it's a subjective to when you grew up and what was cool for that time period. I'm sure my grandfather would pick the old west too.

3. Greatest time to live is right now, we should all make the best of everyday. The world has always had issues of one kind or another. I grew up in the sixties and they were fun times but sure enjoy working on my hot rods in my shop now. Gary

Last edited: Aug 6, 2011
  4. I think now is the greatest time to live in America. while it is romantic to think of America in the post war days of the '40's thru the beginning of the Vietnam war as such a great time to have lived, the era we are in now is just as equally attractive (with the exception of amount of available tin).

5. ratrodder34

ratrodder34
    from Irvine,ky.

I'm with the 1956F100......my thoughts exactly.;)

6. Donnda

Donnda

I believe I wold go back to the late 50's and early 60's given the chance. I lived in Orance Conty California at the time and it was the best time of my life. Hot rods, Custom cars. Lyons Drag Strip, Street Racing Harbor Blvd. Chasing girls, Loud pipes, Drive in restrants, drive in movies. Oh Well can't go back sadly

Donn

7. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

Is when you feel alive,,and where ever you live anywhere in the world.

Life,,The sun coming up ,,etc

8. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

instead of being born in the early 60's..i would have loved to live in the early 60's old enough to enjoy it
    and than there are things about those years that werent so great..hard to say

9. HitIt

HitIt

I think a lot of people on this forum are going to lean towards the 50’s, which I can agree with. I think the 1920’s would have been an incredible time to be alive.

10. Well said

11. doctorZ

doctorZ

i think it also depends on who you are and what you are. this message board is primarily comprised of white males so we forget that for minorities and also for women, the 1940's and 1950's were not an especially great time. just my own opinion ...

12. az67goat

az67goat
    from Mesa, AZ

I would want to be in a time after the development of antibiotics, painless dental care, and heart bypass surgery. Then before FM radio and cable TV.
    I could live without A/C in the house.:eek:
    Oh..and before starlets had to be rail thin.:rolleyes:
    I think that puts me in early 60's?
    1955 to 1965 was nice. It was a simpler time without giving up too much modern conveniences.
    I would like to have the internet back then though...:D

13. BAILEIGH INC

BAILEIGH INC
    Alliance Vendor

Good point

14. woodywagon1965r

woodywagon1965r

cant remember the song ..i miss back then...when crack was a crack and a hoe was a hoe ..coke was a cola and i am down with that meant you had the flu ..lol

15. GREASEMONKEY72

GREASEMONKEY72

while i enjoy whats available today with techonoligy and sort

i would go back to the late '40s early '50s and live through the hot rodding days and enjoy the time period and music

16. Kerry67

Kerry67

50's - 70's. America was strong, still had the mom & pop business, and the cars were cool.

17. Aaron51chevy

Aaron51chevy

I have some buddies that are a generation ahead of me, I grew up in the 80's, it sucked....best thing from then, transformers.....

To me the best time to live where I live in Michigan would have been the 30's-40's when Detroit was the top of the world. I mean designers came here instead of L.A. because it was more glamorus! My Grandma would tell me about going to downtown Detroit to go to the Hudson's building at christmas as a kid. Seems magical. We'll never get that back, that was a special time...

18. woodywagon1965r

woodywagon1965r

lmao before this baggy ass to the knees. hat on sideways yo yo crap and tuners lol

19. 5window

5window

I totally agree with this. Still, it is fun to think back to those days when I was 18 and women and girls tended to leave their bras at home! Of course, now that I am married with three daughters, I might not be quite so encouraging.:)

20. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

Born in 1950, in Southern California all 59 years. Everything from the jalopy races in the late 50's, to the "Golden Age" of drag racing at Lions, Irwindale and Fontana, all witnessed weekly first hand...good lord it was fun...

[​IMG]

But...we wouldn't be communicating with eachother today with computers and many of us wouldn't be here at all, because modern medicine has kept some of us alive by saving us from a disorder that was untreatable in the 1950's..

Don't long for something you can't have, like being in another era. Just take the wonders of that era and incorporate those things into your lives today. The cars, the music, the ethics and morals of the 1950's are not unattainable. They just need to be part of your daily choices.

a sign in my garage says..."These Are The Good Old Days"
    ...these are the only days we have....now get busy :D

21. poofus1929

poofus1929
    from So Cal

I second that, also to live right here in So Cal because I would've been surrounded by all the old drag strips.

22. The old west would be great until you got the clap, or scalped by an indian. I'm gonna go with the 80s.

23. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

John (Cougar) Mellancamp..."Pink Houses" told it like it was...

The greatest time to have lived in America...??? IMHO, from the time I was born in 1943 to today...the greatest cars have been built, we have the greatest freedom to do with them what we will. The greatest men in America have been elected as Presidents and the greatest scientific minds in America have added to our longevity, our way of life and our comfort.

Is there more to come...??? Sure is, those people were born yesterday and two (or more ) years ago and...are yet to be born. The greatest time to live in America is right now...do your part to keep it that way...

PS, I've always been an optimist...!!!

R-

24. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Had this conversation with some friends just the other day. All of us were born at the start of the Boomer years (myself,1944). Agreement was almost unanimous. We lived in the greatest time for America. Great cars, TV, space exploration, relatively peaceful times, hot rods, rock and roll. I feel very privileged to have been here during this time.

Frank

25. 1930roadster

1930roadster

Grass is always greener... like everything else its has it pros and cons, i'm just happy i didnt get myself killed yet,lol.

26. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

wow

27. DAVEG2

DAVEG2

I would have to say the 50's to mid 60's.

28. davidwilson

davidwilson
    from Tennessee

i grew up in the 60s, but i don't remember it

29. awesome and true!

30. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy