Register now to get rid of these ads!

How Much Have You Gone Over Budget?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HRod 50, Feb 26, 2010.

1. Stitchn

Stitchn

Remember, it cost's to be cool. If it makes you feel better, take your monthly house payment X it by the length of your mortgage and your project car will be cheap.

2. HRod 50

HRod 50

I have to say. This has been the most fun I've ever had.

3. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Blowing up the "budget" is so easy:
    "period"-perfect tires with tubes versus everyday available radials
    more HP than a mild cam and single 4bbl will make...add BIG $$
    new wheels versus junkyard/swap meet
    "name" upholsterer rather than the local guy who's been there for 45 years
    CHROME, CHROME, CHROME
    paying for work you could have done yourself
    redoing work you foolishly paid for where the pro didn't do as good a job as you can
    and on and on.

4. bowtiemyk

bowtiemyk

there's a budget?

5. dmw56

dmw56

Some where around "Oh shit, I hope the wife doesn't find out" range!

6. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

7. pincher

pincher
    from Saginaw

I don't go by a budget,but i do keep all my slip's for every nut,bolt sand paper,filling tank's,one of these day's i will get enough nerve to add it all up...........PINCHER

8. Ill give u 5000 for it. Ill take it off ur hands. Just kidding, not tryin to bust ur balls like some of the people on here.The money is still there! its an investment. If u dont want to keep going take a loss of a couple grand and get the money back. People spend 60,000 easy on mercedes's. I will never understand that shit. Ur car will be Nice im sure. And u made it ur way.

9. I like bowtiemyks Idea. The amount that I spend on my girl....... I swear I could have bout a car for ten gs by now. And ive only known her for 3 years. I literally have $150 bucks in my account now! Sigh....

10. I never set a budget, just a goal. And I always surpass my goal.

11. brad chevy

brad chevy

Sold my 53 the other day,yesterday bought a 55,didn"t get what I had moneywise for the 53 ,know I paid a little to much for 55 but its what makes me happy and as far as a budget,the only time I hear about that crap is when the wife rants about something I bought.Ihave learned over the years enjoy your life,family and without toys,it would be like living in a apartment complex ,1 parking spot,no shop,no yard,just a boring ass life.Give me an old hotrod,a cold beer and a swapmeet or just a hotrod gettogether and I"m happy.

12. Cliff Ramsdell

Cliff Ramsdell

Working on the Model A I went a different route from projects in the past.
    1)I made a list of the large items I needed/wanted and collected that stuff first.

2) I didn't keep track of anything I bought money wise looking for most everything either here, local in the New England area, local swap meets and such.

3) Went thru everything, brakes, steering and so on, gotta be safe first so everything is new but I bought stuff over time here and there.

4) The only thing I farmed out was the frame welding work, kick up and boxing, you know stuff like that with everything else done here in the shop.

Now, if you need to send a lot of stuff out because of lack of space, tools, knowledge and so forth the costs shoot right up there and that's when some kind of barter system works great, my frame guy needed a transmission rebuilt so we swapped labor for labor and paid for our own parts or materials.

Good luck with the project.

Cliff Ramsdell

13. long island vic

long island vic

hate the term but on my ((((rat rod))))) it was use this and that junk in the corner,,,them remember that i know the people that are driving and sitting in it....im over 8 grand and its not done....on the other side of the coin its safe and it stops steers and wont get the kids hurt..

14. red baron

red baron
    from o'side

two cars with a budget of 6-10k each. currently at 45K combined!@!#$%$ and thats jsut numbers of the top of my head!!!

15. HRod 50

HRod 50

See, Sorry Red Baron, but that makes me feel good. Misery Loves Company, so can I buy you a beer...

AMEN!!!!!

16. If the wife wants to know, it's 3% (you know, 3 x the original estimate)

17. Jalopy Jim

Jalopy Jim

I keep track of what I spend on my projects. keeps Mrs Jalopy happy, lets me be realistic on my next project, and it allows me to see where money is misspent.

I biggest misspent amount has been paying someone else to do metal work only to have it cobbed up when I get it back, and I have since learn't how to do it my self.

Also staying on the original vision saves money.