Register now to get rid of these ads!

History NHRA Junior Stock

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by colesy, Aug 12, 2007.

1. P426

P426
    BANNED
    from New Jersey

Hello Jon! Welcome back! It's been a long time since your last post. Make some noise a li'l more often! :)

Regards,

Pete

2. OLD-OLD TIMER

OLD-OLD TIMER
    from indiana

Thanks to all who andswered my question!!!!!!

old-old timer
    P.S I too know about C.S. dis qualifcations

3. Bob Bender

Bob Bender

Just one great guy......................:D

4. Kentuckian

Kentuckian

Jon, you are right about Bobby Warren being a very laid back person. I have had the pleasure of teching his racecars for many years at NHRA events. He is always a gentleman along with being a tough competitor.

There was the time years ago at the Columbus Springnationals I was teching in his early Camaro Super Stock racecar. I had been checking everyones front bumper on their racecars and was able to bend his bumper by squeezing it with my hand. When I asked Bobby why the bumper was so thin, he answered in his usual slow southern drawl..."Musta been laying too close to the sea shore." He did have another front bumper with him and put it on the car.

5. Islandworker

Islandworker
    from Illinois

THOMAS E. PAUSER
    Thomas E. Pauser, 66 , of Piscataway died Mar. 10, 2010 at home. He was born in Plainfield & lived in Franklin Township before moving to Piscataway 18 years ago. Thomas had worked in the shipping & receiving department for National Starch in Dunellen before retiring. He had been a member of the Dunellen Elks & the Dunellen American Legion.
    Surviving is a daughter Cynthia Lueders of Fl., a son Thomas , serving in the Coast Guard in Michigan, 2 brothers, Philip of Piscataway, Bruce of Maine, & several nephews.
    Visiting will be Sun. 2-4 7-9PM at the Sheenan Funeral Home, 233 Dunellen Ave., Dunellen. There will be a 10AM service at the funeral home on Mon. Cremation will be private.

<!-- -->

6. TMcCrea

TMcCrea
    from Maryland

Another instance of "North Carolina Acid Dipping" !!!

7. Simon and Biebel

Simon and Biebel
    from N.J.

I am sorry to hear of Tom's passing. "Super Tom" was one of the better drivers out of the T/K stable.....

Jerry Stinner is also in that picture.

8. kurtis

kurtis
    from Australia

Thanks and an even BIGGER THANKS for the Junior Stock series.

This is a great thread, thankyou to all. BIG THUMBS UP.

9. ScottV

ScottV

Doesn't something like this give you chills ... you bring someone up to find out something like that just happened. I was on vacation recenyly and ran into an old friend that I hadn't talked to in about 15 years ago. I asked him about another mutual friend, and he said "Funny you should ask, I am just on my way home from his funeral"

10. Huds69z

Huds69z
    from maryland

My Grandfather raced back in 1960-1965 with 2 different fuel injected D/S 57 Chevy's under the name "Little Terror 1 and 11" and even had a B/A called "Sassy" if anyone would have any pics that would be great. His name is Bob Luck and he is 80 years young and still helps me with my racing. We would also be interested if anyone knows where either of the 57's are today. I would love to be able to find one of the cars and restore it for him.

Thanks,
    Robbie Hudlow
    A/SA 1820
    SS/BS 137
    B/AA 1902

11. DW31S

DW31S
    from Sparks,MD

Hey Robbie, Glad you're finally onboard! Wasn't one of those '57s sold to Iacconio and later raced as "Banana"? There are some pics of that car here on the thread. Make sure YOU and your GRANDFATHER are in attendance at the York Reunion this year. Junior Stock is the theme this year and both of you will enjoy it. Maybe I'll see ya Tuesday. Until next time.....Dave.

12. X-TECH MAN

X-TECH MAN
    from Florida

Don Gays mufflers were found to be a little bit to short after the bumper bracket deal on the "North Wind" 409. Teds bore was .001 to large due to being measured while it was still warm. After it cooled the bore was dead on but it was to late.

13. 56 Pontiac I/SA

56 Pontiac I/SA
    from Maryland

Last edited: Mar 15, 2010
  14. Huds69z

Huds69z
    from maryland

Hey Dave, the first 57 was sold to Jim Sartwell and the name was changed to "sea terror" I believe. Jim later had the 68 Z/28 that Dennis Durbin drove and was a very dear friend of my grandfather. He actually built the second car because Jim was talking smack and they battled quite a bit. Both cars were multi-time record holders and won many races. The second car was sold up north and we heard later that Frank Iacianio had it but from the other post thats obviously not the case. The second 57 was a 150 model (lighter) and thats the car I would like to find. Cool pics of your car Dave and when are you takin me and John to that garage of yours ? lol see you tuesday at the sale.

Thanks,
    Robbie

15. Huds69z

Huds69z
    from maryland

Thanks for the pic 56 Pontiac I/SA any more pics or info would be great. This is a great site alot of cool pics......keep up the good work guys ! I am also looking for Eastern Drag News copies from the early 60's.

16. kurtis

kurtis
    from Australia

We did have a Stock class back in the day, if you want to call it that. Most were quick street cars with a handful being very fast. Back then, Australia was hooked on circuit and dirt track racing and many of the faster guys ran engine combinations from either of the two disciplines which meant the cars weren't set up for 1/4 mile racing. By the time our muscle car wars started {'68 onwards} bracket racing was popular and the Stock class eventually faded away although some cars did make a jump to S/S which is really a Modified Prod. class and still to this day.

The quickest Stocker to this day was an A/S Monaro that ran high 9s with a flat tappet 350 a few years back but because it was the same setup as a B/MS {= bigger tires} it eventually spelled the end of the Stock Eliminator in this country.

I'm still dissapointed that nothing was done to promote Stock class racing in this country. I guess there wasn't enough brains in the Tech. department or they were lazy. Personally i think our sanctioning body didn't have the foresight to understand what the future really is and it still doesn't.

Now, about that Long Distance Award.......

17. tenxal

tenxal
    from Div 5

Yeah, those darn rules can be pesky.........

18. Skip Asay

Skip Asay

I spent a bunch of years doing my thing on the track and then spent a couple of years on the other side of the fence. The problem with letting something slide is - where do you draw the line? True, .001 oversize just isn't going to give the slightest bit of performance edge. But what happens when the next guy is .002 over? And then the next guy is .003? And so on? Where should the line be drawn?

Having seen it from both sides, as hard a pill as it may be to swallow, I have to agree with the Tech crew.

Skip Asay

19. tenxal

tenxal
    from Div 5

Been on both sides myself, Skip...couldn't agree more.

Letting things slide has gotten us to the point where we are today in Stock and Suer/Stock....and that ain't a good place to be.

Always looked foward to getting the Dragster and seeing what new combos you were running 'back in the day'. Take care and be well. :)

20. WGuy

WGuy
    from Central NJ

Skip, You couldn't have stated it better. Everyone knows that a .001" overbore off the rules isn't an advantage. But you have to make rules and those rules have to be applied to everyone (no exceptions). It's sad when an infraction is a "mistake" and not an intentional cheat, but the line has to be drawn somewhere. And it has to be a HARD line. Tech inspectors who DQ'd a .001" issue weren't being pricks; they were just doing their jobs........and they did it WELL! I feel sorry for all the "good guys" that fell to those rules, but........live and learn. Bore it .057" instead of .060" and have a couple seasons without worrying about losing that title. ;)

Verne

21. Chuck Norton

Chuck Norton
    from Division 7

Pete,

There have been so many people who've shared your point of view over the years that a bunch of classes other than Stock were created for them and many of them have proven to be very popular. Examples: Super Stock, Modified Production, Gas Coupes and Sedans, Top Fuel, Pro Bracket, etc. All of those are viable classes but they aren't Stock. Stock is the place where the rules have always counted for something. Not everyone likes the rules and not everyone follows them to the letter but everyone knows where the line is drawn and is prepared to pay the penalty for being judged "out of bounds."

One of the great things about our endeavor is the fact that so many people with such differing points of view are able to gather on a given day and pursue their respective passions.

c

22. 67 W-30

67 W-30
    from N.E. Ohio

The most fair and logical answer to the problem of a .001 overbore check on a "warm" block is to establish a block temperature at which the block must be at or under before check is made. Or the position was taken that the engine isnt "cold" when it is running down the track ---- so in reality the bore size should be within spec at ANY temperature - eh? That goes along with the position that Marty took with the guy that complained that they didnt wipe the oil of his spring shims before checking! He tole the guy that the oil certainly was on them when the engine was running? -eh?
    Both good points. Guess thats why everyone started boring .058!! LOL

23. TMcCrea

TMcCrea
    from Maryland

Back when I was working and had my machine shop, we would let a block cool for a half hour before taking the final bore measurement. It was interesting to see how much a bore would shrink when the block cooled, usually .002 - .003. Imagine how critical that is on the Ford 4.6 that has a piston to wall clearance of .00085. There is no room for error in size, out of round or taper.

24. WGuy

WGuy
    from Central NJ

This is a legal A/S motor I purchased in Red Bank NJ. I was told it was built at Duffy's when Dan Jessel worked there. I don't know what car it came out of, but I'd sure like to know if someone recognizes it. I checked the bore (stone cold) before I bought it and it's .057" over.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Verne:)

Last edited: Mar 16, 2010
  25. TMcCrea

TMcCrea
    from Maryland

CRS got me again!!!

I mis-spoke when I said that the bore would shrink .002- .003 when it cooled. It is more like .0002 - .0003 (sometimes as much as a half thou.) and that is just from the heat made from the friction of the honing stones against the cyl. walls.

26. Tony Janes

Tony Janes

Here is a picture of the 1952 Olds that I have mentioned before. A friend of mine found it in his collection. The picture was taken at the place I have lived in for the last thirty eight years. Picture was taken Aug 1969.

Attached Files:

27. Anyone have shots of stocker '62 409 Impalas?

-Dean

28. WGuy

WGuy
    from Central NJ

Dean, I know that motor was not from Harvey Tilton's car nor Supinski's car. Although both were part of the "Duffy's gang", that motor is known not to be one of theirs. The black block and those unique painted valve covers might be a clue if someone's memory is good enough. The motor was purchased by a guy who put it in a '62 Corvette just long enough to overrev it illegally on a side street and drop #5 exhaust valve. That guy is gone now. I bought the motor from a guy who bought the Vette from his widow. :rolleyes:

29. Old Tech Inspector

Old Tech Inspector
    from USA

Remember the rules said a maximum of .060 overbore at the top of the cylinder , it never said that you had to rebore the engine at all. .055 or .056 always worked very well, allowed for many trick rehones and piston and ring combinations...

30. Oh I meant pictures of jr. stock '62 Impalas, cars, looking for some ideas :D

That's a cool mill though WGuy, wish I could find old drag motors like that around here! I really like that.

-Dean