Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features VINTAGE SPRINT CAR PIC THREAD, 1965 and older only please.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Joshua Shaw, Jan 17, 2008.

1. Jim Dieter

Jim Dieter
    from Joliet

We still discuss Danny often. Who knows how much he would have accomplished if he lived.

2. racer5c

racer5c

Yes Sir Same Day

3. LittleFauss

LittleFauss

.....'So funny and so ironic. Whoever it was (Buildy, Wynns#1 or Ron Kramer) that mentioned they were at Reading (PA) when Gary crashed Willie's DOHC Ford qualifying; supposedly never lifting. That's exactly why Gary was so admired for his bravado and bravery. I remember reading his quote from his hospital bed in NSSN after his crash in the dirt car at Syracuse in July '74: "Gary: Car Humming!".....'he was driving around the Moody Mile without lifting that day too, until he hooked a rut. And sadly, but also VERY ironic, back to that 1971 season, at the November '71 USAC Midget race at Manzanita Park in Phoenix, Gary made a bet with the promoter, Keith Hall that he would drive around Manzanita in qualifying without lifting!!! He did it! And he set the all-time track record doing it. Sadly, Gary did it in the Doug Caruthers' SESCO that Danny had vacated a few weeks before.

4. racer5c

racer5c

All time track record? or Midget all time track record?

5. RABs32

RABs32
    from new jersey

Tonite's special.....Rich

Attached Files:

6. RABs32

RABs32
    from new jersey

A little dessert....

Attached Files:

7. RABs32

RABs32
    from new jersey

Needed a doggy bag....

Attached Files:

8. wynns #1

wynns #1

Hi Spike,
    I was there at Flemington when Harry beat John Drauker in the match race. You have to remember he was driving a car that weighed about 400 lbs. less than Scats Ford. I used to time Harry, and often he was as fast as the sprinters. If he drove a typical 4cyl. midget it would different.

9. ron kramer

ron kramer
    from penna.

Thanks again, Rich. Look at the last shot in the first group. The car with the bolt-on downtubes looks like it has a flat R.R. Is that George Snyder? Now look at the first pic in the second group of the 36. Outside by the wall is a R.R. wheel/tire with the center gone. From the car in the first shot? My rememberer isn't that good.

10. RABs32

RABs32
    from new jersey

Hey Ron,I goofed the last shot and that first shot were supposed to be together,Sorry Guy's, but I had a Brain Fart!!!!....Rich

11. BenMtrsprts20

BenMtrsprts20

if i remember the stories right about my grandfather that is why he is known as the outlaw. for years i asked my father while his old sprint car sat in his garage what the saying "The Outlaw" was for on the wing and i think that is why if i remember right. i could be wrong though.

12. BenMtrsprts20

BenMtrsprts20

hey weathrmn was that the race that i saw clippings from where he flipped as high as a light pole? i saw that clipping in one of my fathers photo books.

13. OldRacer

OldRacer

Speaking of records.a midget set The all time fast time on the 3/8 mile Oakland.Ca speedway, known as the fastest 3/8 mile track in the world, in the 50,s. Due to a senior moment I forget the year, but it was sanctioned by the BCRA, Bay Cities Racing Assoc, who I drove with in the 50's.

14. Spike Ruth

Spike Ruth

I agree JOE; with a Midget engine it would be no contest. Especially at Flemington. That was a very different track; Speeds were faster than tracks twice its size.
    My main point was the condition of Midget racing in the East at that time. It was hard for the average fan to get excited back then. Many people i talked to then believed only half of what they heard coming out of SMRC.
    You do have a better memory from back then than i do, thats a given.

15. Offy

Offy

I remember many years ago my father telling me that a midget held the track record at Winchester. With the right gear and momentum it seems possible, especially at a high banked asphalt track.

16. weathrmn

weathrmn

Benmtrsprts20, no I think that was not a high flip. I didn't see it happen, but I can tell you he went through the fence.

Here's something on a good note, I was coming off the 4th turn at Flemington flat out, thinkin I'm fast, and Harry blew by me on the outside and scared the shit out of me. That will always stick in my head.

Your grandfather took some nasty flips, ask Joe Fiore

17. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

..on the Midget vs. Big car speed debate.. Remember:

"QUICK and FAST are two different things" :D

...I been away for a while, you guys are doing great!

J Shaw

18. Mitch G

Mitch G

Every now and then a guy really puts down a fast lap, Joe Giba had the worlds record for any kind of car, one a one mile paved oval, for a short period of time, in a Kurtis Midget with an Offy (maybe late 1940's early 50's?). Eddie Jackson won a open comp super mod feature on a 1/3 mile paved oval, Englewood Speedway, in Denver in the late 1970's, with a Edmunds VW midget. The National Speed Sport News ran a photo of that race, Eddie in his midget (no wing!), on the inside of a big winged offset roadster super mod. The caption read "The mite vs the mighty". He had Chuck Mauro's Edmunds sprinter for the show but blew the motor and went and got his midget, and won. In 1977 or 78 Mike Gregg, and Buzz Tappley started the sprint car fast heat in their Schlieger built VW midgets, during a midget & sprint, split show. Gregg won with Tappley 2nd, going away, on a dry slick blue groove 1/2 dirt track, Colorado National Speedway, I still have the program with my hand written notes in it. They would not let the midgets run the sprint main, track owner felt the little midgets would get run over with 24 sprinters on the track instead of 8. I don't think that could happen today tires, chassis, they get the sprinters horsepower screwed to the track more today, than in years past. And it depends on the track, look at Ascot, I don't think a midget ever came close to getting around that track as quick as a sprint car. I agree with Josh, the super mods had a much lower track record at Englewood, maybe full second, but that little midget was so quick through the corners, and could go deeper in the turn before lifting. Plus Eddie Jackson was just a much better driver than most of the 30+ super mod, and sprint car drivers there that night.

19. cg5

cg5

Early 70's Mid America Fair grounds Topeka Ks. early spring day race Gene Gennetten brings his first midget he built along with his sprintcar. After hot lap shake down of the midget he decides to run both cars. Wins his heat in the sprintcar and from the back the same in the midget.He put Ricky Weld in the sprint for the reat of the day, started on the pole in the main and won it going away.

Curt Grogan

20. 28dreyer

28dreyer
    from Minnesota

Anybody got records from USAC at Milwaukee Mile about '55, '56, or '57?

I was there for a midget 100 miler and I seem to remember the midgets timing slower, but fairly close to either the Champ Car record or they may have been part of the program that day too.

21. Speedwrench

Speedwrench

Interesting.

I was under the impression that Aldo's career ended at an IMCA race in Des Moines in the four cam Ford powered car that Mario had Grant King build so Aldo could run USAC. This coming about after USAC told Aldo to go someplace else and get more experience.

22. RABs32

RABs32
    from new jersey

Hey Joe, here's a few from Flemington for ya!....Rich

Attached Files:

23. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

I have been following the "sprinters vs midgets" debate with interest. Not to muddy the waters further but aren't some karts quicker than either?

24. LittleFauss

LittleFauss

.....'That's also what I thought, Speedwrench.

[​IMG]

25. racerbillyc

racerbillyc

back in 1983 I won Grandview in a non winged 3/4 midget during a combination show with the winged midgets I was timed consistently a full second faster than the midgets track was smooth and had a great cushion

26. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

Ha! Yeah, I almost mentioned that too! At mid Ohio road coarse a Kart held the track record there for years..
    The Kart might not have been as fast as injected big block Vette, but it got around that track Quicker! ;)

Interesting debate.. but screw it, there is more important things to think about:
    THIS SAT. NIGHT NORTH VERNON SPEED WAY in Ind. OPENS UP WITH SPRINT CARS! Winter is over! :D:D:D

Richcraft Mike and I drove his 32 roadster to this race last year. NOT MANY fans went because they were calling for a 100% chance of rain! We went, and got to see Hot laps, all the heats, and half the feature before the sky's opened up. Well worth the wet ride home in a roadster. :p

27. Buildy

Buildy

Lincoln Speedway opens this Sat and I will be there taking photos of the 410 sprint car action. Weather will be perfect!

I`d be at the Williams Grove opener tonite,but I can`t get out of work.

28. hopkins1

hopkins1
    from bedford pa

Curt, I have a Kenny Weld sprint car frame that Ricky Weld crashed at Sadalia. It needed a front clip and was in Pa when Kenny got nailed. I need a photo before the wreck. Were you there ?

29. cg5

cg5

Yes i was there. Here is a picture of Greg Weld driving that car at Knoxville two weeks prior to Ricky's crash at Sedalia.

Curt Grogan

Attached Files:

30. hopkins1

hopkins1
    from bedford pa

Yes,thats the car,rear shock mount is between the cage and brace. Thanks so much for the photo. Bob