Register now to get rid of these ads!

Monthly New Jersey Hotrod Meet?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by R.Otto, Mar 14, 2010.

1. J. Clear

J. Clear

I won't have my car ready until summer, but what about a meet at Atco. There should be plenty of space to park on an off night, and I don't think anyone would hassle us.

J. Clear

2. Lets drive! Keep it along the Garden State PKY... we'll stop off in all the commuter parking lots, pick up and drop off guys. This way everyone can do it, centrally located, and get back to there days if they need too.

If it winds up just a parking event, I cant make it. Too much work. Lets run em!

3. Flat Power

Flat Power
    from New Jersey

4. Pat Pryor

Pat Pryor

not a bad idea. im down

5. R.Otto

R.Otto

A run sounds good bro

6. Diana The Doc

Diana The Doc
    from New York

Thompson Park in Jamesburg is one of my all time favorite parks... It's very spacious-- Lots of open spaces... It's also a scenic sort of place-- The town it's located in is pretty and historic... They have a cute little zoo to make the kiddies happy (I love the zoo too!)... It's a little bit off the beaten trail, but it's certainly a very nice place to meet with friends and socialize... A lot of people in New Jersey aren't even aware of the this particular park, but I assure you, it's a nice place to see animals, and it'd probably be a nice place to assemble hot rods too... "The Doc" (Celebrity Drag Racing Authority & Visionary)...

7. R.Otto

R.Otto

If a run is in order where shall it start?

8. VanHorton

VanHorton

its gotta start or end along the shore somewhere

9. hellcat666

hellcat666

maybe not the answer to the questions being posted right now, but if anyone is interested the american cruisers put on a huge cruz night every saturday starting in may in lyndhurst at the whiskey cafe. show gets a huge turn out proly 900 to 1200 cars a night. theres a buncha of everything there but could realy use more rods and kustoms aside from myself and my buddys. it would be cool to see some new stuff there so im encouraging everyone to try and make a trip up one night if you can. Theres a bar inside and they have food thats pretty decent, myself and my cuzin DJ so for the most part the music doesnt suck haha. my father started the show a long time ago and its one of the only really big things around up here. hope some of you can make it.

10. banjorear

banjorear

Mel,

That sounds dangerously close to something former Gov. McGreevy was doing at some of the rest stops along the Jersey Turnpike.

Tim

11. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

There also use to big a to do in Brick/Toms River,,and drag racing on some old airfield ( thats what I think it was ,,over by rt 9 ?? )

12. Slim Pickens

Slim Pickens

13. DirtyThirty

DirtyThirty
    from nowhere...

I like the Parkway....I'd probably join the convoy from time to time, so long as it doesn't go too far north. I hate the scenery, the traffic, and 90% of the people up there, no offense if you are in the 10% minority, who DON'T think their shit don't stink, and that they are somewhow FAR more wise, and enlightened than us "hicks" down here, who pay 4 times less for 2 times more property, and actually enjoy trees that AREN'T fenced in!...;)

It IS really a crappy road surface, down here where we are, but, it is a VERY nice ride, and we have resolved ourselves to steering clear of sitting in any sweltering parking lots, in shitty/uppity towns, watching people wag their jaws...it's boring...always has been, really...I think thats why folks NEED to get a drink on at a car show, it staves off boredom...
    I know it makes me feel better about listening to everyone yak on and on about their shit...

We have been talking about taking the roads along the shore, this year, too...maybe Ocean drive, right along the shore, and then up towards Tom's River, how ever you can stay closest to the sea, stopping and getting a drink, or a bite, here and there ( I CAN enjoy cars at the bar, at least while I eat a sandwich and wash it down with a pint, before setting out again......:D) Fuck the "who's who in hot rodding" shows...fuck promoters, and all that bs...I wanna drive and stare out my window, and let my mind wander.
    Freedom...

The Parkway, though decent, still, really does not afford a REAL glimpse into N.J., or it's little, back roads and by-ways...
    Planned routes, through the pines, or any outskirts, or out-of-the-way rides, would be the REAL deal.
    However, of course, far harder to plan, and make meeting up easy.
    But...it COULD be done, with some ambition, and a good planner, and map, but, timelines might get tough to acconut for, of course, they can get tossed all to hell anyway, with just one breakdown.

We'll be driving a lot this year, either way...
    I'm finally to a point with my Ranchero that I think I can expect it to be resonably well-mannered for a longer haul.

Hell, better than a park, even, is winding up at the beach, or at someones farm, or whatever...no politics, no police/enforcment code shit, insurance...nothing...private owners.

Who has 10+ acres we can camp out on after a long day driving?!?!
    Anybody???:D

14. R.Otto

R.Otto

I would be interested in organizing something like this a monthly or twice a month meet and drag that would be a solid night out

15. Nobodys Hero

Nobodys Hero
    from New Jersey

What fun is a Reliability run if its always in the same location. There should be a few dates, and a new location each time, that way you can get a better mix of cars. I know up here in north jersey there are some amazing back roads that would lend themselves for a run. Right of of 287 up through some state parks. Im down for a run of some kind. Wouldnt make it out, just to sit in a lot, or a park though. I dont think the run should be on a major highway either, thats no fun. Back roads cruise would be nice!! Count me in with my coupe.

16. Count me in for Edison.

17. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

7 Lakes Drive would be cool,,although yer out of Jersey at that point

18. Nobodys Hero

Nobodys Hero
    from New Jersey

Seven lakes drive would be great, also, old 17 going up towards harriman, past the Red Apple rest would be great also.

19. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

Red Apple is still there ?? WOW ,,that was the best stop on a hot summer day as a kid.

20. Nobodys Hero

Nobodys Hero
    from New Jersey

It hasnt been opened in years, but its still there lolol

21. DirtyThirty

DirtyThirty
    from nowhere...

Hell...if there be "back" roads in North Jersey, that I am unaware of, I might even change my mind, and drive that far...:D
    You must be talking about north-west, maybe, in the hills???
    I just have no desire to sit in traffic, in a ghetto...I wanna DRIVE!

22. Nobodys Hero

Nobodys Hero
    from New Jersey

North west my friend!!! about 15 miles outside of nyc, well above the oranges and that whole cluster on the parkway. Up here, theres plenty of back wooded roads that run through lake towns, state parks, etc. no traffic, no lights, and All the stores in bergen county are closed on sundays, so there is little to no traffic, and plenty of empty lots to park in and work on cars etc.

23. Pat Pryor

Pat Pryor

i was looking around google maps a while back and found this place down in manchester. maybe with some work it will be suitable to make some time runs.

[​IMG]

24. R.Otto

R.Otto

That would be sick as hell

25. 6t5frlane

6t5frlane
    from New York

I'm in for that. If ya make it on a Wed night there is a LARGE cruise in at Bear Mountain State Park in Harriman. Not just HAMB friendly however. It's a nice ride up out of NJ to the par/seven lakes area

26. DirtyThirty

DirtyThirty
    from nowhere...

Now some pretty cool ideas are coming out...
    :D

Not sure where Manchester is, but that sand looks kinda fun.
    might hafta put some paddle tires on the truck, though, for that one!

Yeah...Bergen county, I've heard is nice.
    The Oranges and such, really leave a bad taste in my mouth...And Asbury is crappy, too, from my memory...
    Shit...keep it on some cool, enjoyable rural routes, and it would be great, near or far....
    Along the river, or toward the shore.

27. Slim Pickens

Slim Pickens

I DONT KNOW ALL THE ROADS. But this part of NJ has some NICE Back roads. Slim

Attached Files:

28. NITROFC

NITROFC
    BANNED

Looks like this debate will go on forever ... pick a location because as we all now everyone will not be happy if there is not chosen

29. 1927 Death Trap

1927 Death Trap
    from CT

I agree, gotta pick a spot and start plannig the other details. You guys know your area better than me, I'm down for a run no matter where.

30. ELD

ELD

Central NJ Millstone Valley Scenic Byway-27.5 mi
    6 miles off I95 outside of Edison. 3 miles off 287 outside of Somerville
    [​IMG]