Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Historic Stock Car Photos

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by indybigjohn, Aug 28, 2008.

1. Falconred

Falconred

I have a few if I can dig them out. I have a couple of postcards I got at the old Darlington Museum some years ago of Andretti and Panch. I have a few off the net that I will be able to post, these were probably stolen from Dan Bell with the exception of the last one which I hijacked from Indybigjohn from the HAMB forum.

[​IMG] Andretti and Curtis Turner
    [​IMG] Dick Hutcherson
    [​IMG] Red Farmer
    [​IMG] Andretti again

Last edited: Mar 15, 2010
  2. Falconred

Falconred

Dan, Dan Pay attention.

Driver introductions at Georgia International Speedway.

Neil Bonnett, the lovely Eva Taylor and Dan Spence the AllPro flagman.

[​IMG]

3. Falconred

Falconred

Here are a couple more from GA Int. Going to get into some later photos of the ASA in Atlanta tomorrow maybe.

Ben (??? with Gary Balough), Ben's son (and the ever present Prototype Engineering red shirts and hats) and someone all north GA racers know and someone who knows more racing history than anyone else I know, George Seagraves (blue shirt). That's Ronnie Sander's car behind them.

[​IMG]

Georgia's favorite Kenny Rogers look a like, Billy McGinnis:

[​IMG]

4. tom27

tom27

if my memory serves me correctly, thats Ben Kay. bring on some more like this!

5. Falconred

Falconred

From what we can guess I have some 14,000 to 15,000 negatives that are being scanned.

I will tease you all with a few along until I can get organized.

6. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

keep those red farmer shots coming!! billy mcginnise never met a camera he didn't like. great guy

7. Falconred

Falconred

Last one for the night.

Shot from out side turn one at Atlanta (formerly AIR now AMS), ASA race has Alan Kulwicki leading Mark Martin.

[​IMG]

8. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Damn, Robert! Between you, Big John, Big Dan Wright, and others, this awesome thread should go strong for another year or two (or three). :D

9. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Thanks, BrerHair. I'm still digging through old photos, and have to slow up a little as we're getting ready to start our season in this area.

Falcon, that's a tremendous shot from Atlanta. Can't wait to see more.

10. larry-41

larry-41

the famous smokey's chevelle is a 66 chevelle bodied car i have it called a 67 before and may have been built in 67 but the body is a 66:rolleyes:

[​IMG] Andretti and Curtis Turner
    [​IMG] Dick Hutcherson
    [​IMG] Red Farmer
    [​IMG] Andretti again[/QUOTE]

11. FlaRacingHistory.com

FlaRacingHistory.com
    from Florida

For you Plymouth fans... Here are some shots of the late Al Stageberg's Plymouths that ran throughout Central Florida in the '60s and early '70s...
    Billy Hancock and Ken Faircloth were the primary drivers...
    Unfortunately we lost Billy a few days ago at a racing reunion called the "Blast for the Past" at Citrus County Speedway... He was 74 and hadn't driven a race car in many years but was on hand to race with many of the old timers... After doing a few practice laps, he can in the pits, parked the car and suffered a fatal heart attack...

12. FlaRacingHistory.com

FlaRacingHistory.com
    from Florida

Here are some shots from New Smyrna Speedway, FL back in 1968, the first full year of racing after it was paved following an ill-advised run as a dirt track in 1967 when it was known as Daytona Raceway...

#1 is from the first "Cracker 200" with Tampa's Jim Alvis leading Largo's Dave McInnis, Sarasota's Billy Gill, and Orlando's Ernie Bass... These guys alone combined for over 1,000 feature wins in their careers...

#2 has the #20 Six-Cylinder ford of Aden Erb out of Tampa spinning... Going by are #30 Billy Collins of Melbourne, #81 Johnny Jackson of Jacksonville, #17 Larry Rogero of Hialeah, #99 Benny Moore of St. Petersburg and #29 Eldon Yarbrough (Lee Roy's brother) of Jacksonville.

#3 is from one of the first shows after lights were installed... The line-up has #7 Ernie Bass of Orlando, #19 Harry Pullen of Melbourne, #10 Gene Winn of Miami, #30 Billy Collins of Melbourne and #31 Don'l Burkhalter of Orlando...

Check out my web site at www.floridaracinghistory.com
    Also check out my title sponsor, Creative Motion Concepts at www.cmcpros.com

13. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Thanks, History! Some real racing history in the Sunshine State.

14. Dennis Andrews

Dennis Andrews

These are the drivers of the cars in RABs32 post #2634
    1970 Grand American race at Flemington, NJ
    #33 Joe Huss finished 19th
    #55 Tiny Lund finished 1st
    #26 Richard Childress finished 7th
    #87 Buck Baker finished 6th
    #64 Joe Phipps finished 18th
    #8 Phil Wills finished 14th
    #44 Ken Rush finished 16th

Last edited: Apr 6, 2010
  15. Dennis Andrews

Dennis Andrews

These are the drivers of the cars in RABs32 post #2635
    1970 Grand American race at Flemington, NJ
    #82 Bill Chevalier finished 20th
    #3 Doug Aldridge 3rd
    #14 Jim Paschal 2nd
    #55 Tiny Lund 1st
    #15 Wayne Andrews 4th
    #33 Joe Huss 19th
    #9 Stan Star 17th
    #7 Jimmy Vaughn 8th

Last edited: Apr 6, 2010
  16. Eracer

Eracer
    from Wisconsin

17. Eracer

Eracer
    from Wisconsin

18. Eracer

Eracer
    from Wisconsin

19. Eracer

Eracer
    from Wisconsin

20. FlaRacingHistory.com

FlaRacingHistory.com
    from Florida

Would be nice if everyone would put a caption to what we are looking at!!

21. Falconred

Falconred

OK this is it for the day, try again tomorrow:

Neil Bonnet................................................................. Bobby Allison
    [​IMG], [​IMG]
    Davey Allison............................................................ Donnie Allison
    [​IMG], [​IMG]

22. Falconred

Falconred

Well one more:

An out of focus brother Bob Applegate steps into the frame. Bob is a great racing photographer and general supporter of racing and has been for many years. His website is ChasinRacing although it doesn't seem to be kept up anymore has a lot of old photos. Anyone hanging around asphalt (and most dirt) short track racing, specially in the south, knows Bob.

[​IMG]

23. Dog427435

Dog427435

24. Dog427435

Dog427435

25. denracer

denracer

Check out the square tubing used as rollcage and bumpers. This was built for some "rough and tough" racing. Probably Santa Fe.

26. PSB

PSB

Word On Smokies car is ... It is indeed a 67.. Just Smokey thought the 66 front was quicker at high speeds.....

27. Racewriter

Racewriter

I used to write for a couple of magazines that Bob was involved with. Great guy.

Keep the pics coming, Falcon. That was really a great time for late model racing, particularly on asphalt. You didn't have 200 different engine/weight/chassis combos, and a weekly guy anywhere in the country could come run the big races - like the Snowball pictured.

28. 35outlaw

35outlaw

I believe that would be Georgia international speedway, maybe a World Crown. That was the good old days. The track is still running but they came in and rebuilt it and really screwed it up. If something isn't broke don't fix it.

29. Falconred

Falconred

Yes that's Ga Int. and it is probably a World Crown 300 I have to look back on that roll to see who won and maybe we can tell what year.

I always liked GA Int as it was a race track where you could actually race and pass. It was a lot more competitive than many short tracks which have follow me grooves. I will reserve my opinion on the new configuration as I have yet to go over there.

I hear they had a sell out on their first big race, I wish Rob Joice had been running it then as he promised one night, "If we ever sell this place out I will "Jack Off" on the finish line. Too bad the money wasn't there to make it over the hump back then. It seems that every time we were about to make it the money for advertising and such would dry up. I still have a couple of posters and ads I made up for them.

30. 35outlaw

35outlaw

The configuration hasn't really changed, however everything else has. The grandstands are now 1/4 mile from the parking lot, the inside walls have been moved out to the edge of the apron, you can't really see the cars in the corners,you can't see hardly any of the track from the pits. It is very nice but it just don't compare with the old facility. I was friends with Rob , I grew up a couple of miles from him and Cathy. Some of the racing from the late 80's and early 90's will never be duplicated over there. I remember one mid week race in 95 or 96 when the place was standing room only and who could ever forget that old #112. If you ever do make it down I would like to have a chance to meet up with you and talk about the good old days.