Register now to get rid of these ads!

Steel 32 ford 3 window rebuild

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Crafty B, Jan 24, 2009.

1. Rem

Rem

Lots of nice details. Not keen on the perforated sheet behind the boxing plate holes, though.

2. Crafty B

Crafty B

The stainless is out, the more I look at it the less I like it. I worked on the brake assembly Sunday and it's pretty much done. I lost the dang throw out bearing so I need to figure out that mess and finish up the clutch. Thanks for the positive reinforcement guys it keeps me going!!!

Crafty

Attached Files:

3. Crafty B

Crafty B

Hi Guys

I built a few new patterns today for the schroeder box and longer friction shock arms. I did manage to get the clutch linage all working and most of the pieces detailed nice. I have one nailhead exhaust manifold smoothed out and need to find one more like the one shown, this one came off the drivers side.

Crafty

Attached Files:

4. claymore

claymore
    BANNED

Pretty good use of wood for the templates.

5. Crafty B

Crafty B

the wood templates are the patterns or molds for the soon to be cast aluminum cowl steering box mount

6. jerseyboy

jerseyboy

CraftyB, do you pour on the premises or do you send them out to a foundry?

7. Crafty B

Crafty B

I have a foundry do all of pouring, I have poured in my shop but the foundry does a great job and the owner is a hot rodder and a good friend.

Crafty

8. jerseyboy

jerseyboy

I like your part designs and the final castings. I had done some pattern work in college. Nice to see aesthetic castings incorporated into a rod:cool:. That is one of the reasons I started following this thread.

9. Crafty B

Crafty B

Thanks Jerseyboy
    I really enjoy making the patterns, Im trying to make this build a little special with some one off castings. I should see the schroeder mount tomorrow and I hope to get it put together this weekend. The ol B-line will be leaving the saftey of my shop this weekend and it's headed west to a cool guy who I know will take good care of her so I need to stay focused on the 32 and get it done.

Crafty

10. jerseyboy

jerseyboy

I never really checked out the B-line before. Just checked it out on your profile. Wow!:eek::D:cool: Talk about sweet details. It's kinda of a steampunk/deco hybrid, and I mean that in a very excellent way!:D

11. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

very nice work and great attention to detail!

12. Thor1

Thor1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Crafty,

You're doing great work - keep it up. Just curious, I may have missed it but what did you ever find out about that Ford motor? Was it a Boss?

Thor

13. Crafty B

Crafty B

Thanks guys!!
    the motor is a early 70 351 cleveland but not a boss, I completely rebuilt the wrecked chassis that was under the 3 window and sold it..it now has a glass roadster body on it,
    Im building it for a customer in the shop.

Crafty

14. -Brent-

-Brent-

You are sticking to your name, Crafty. I like all your creativity with this car... It'll be nice to check it out when you take it to Bonny in 2011. :D

15. Crafty B

Crafty B

keeping my eye on the prize Brent!!!
    Crafty

16. I SMELL SMOKE

I SMELL SMOKE

this is some great work!!!!! i love every bit of it!!

17. Crafty B

Crafty B

foundry Jay hooked me up today with the new steering box mounts and I hope to get it put together tomorrow. We have been working on the rear suspension of Jay's truck and should have it buttoned up soon. I hit all all time record today on the louver press...198 wow. The B-line has left the building..gone but not forgotten..enjoy Jon!!!!and I hope you had a safe trip home..thank you

more later
    Crafty

Attached Files:

18. Crafty B

Crafty B

Hammered out a bunch of good work today...got the steering box mount all together and started to sand it up, worked on foundry Jays rear suspension and got the truck sitting on the ground. The column drop is a new design and it will find it's way into the 32 I hope.

Crafty

Attached Files:

19. 41 Dave

41 Dave

Crafty, You really make some neat parts. Love the "Holes !". Looking forward to more progress on your '32.

20. Jimmy Tee

Jimmy Tee

Genius at work... You are introducing some excellent craftmanship into this guild. I'm really enjoying it. Keep the posts coming

21. Crafty B

Crafty B

hope to get the body on the next couple weeks, then out to fellow hamber (mecutum) and let Steve work his magic and pull her back into shape..time to start thinking about a color??

Crafty

22. kisam

kisam

Beautiful work, as always!

23. Crafty B

Crafty B

Im using my wire wheel knock off hub covers on the 40 ford wheels but I had to increase the dia so I made a second plate that will sit under the ribbed pressure plate. I want to make a cool badge that will fit in the center of the locking nut out of brass..just have to come up with it, I did a small CB design that I might use.

Crafty
    Crafty B Nostalgic Speed
    www.crafty-b.com

Attached Files:

24. hvychvy

hvychvy

Man,you sir,are AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!Please keep the updates coming,I can't believe I just found this!!

25. brentthebarber

brentthebarber
    from San Diego

great build and amazing craftsmenship on the parts!!!

26. jerseyboy

jerseyboy

Crafty B, great mockup!
    Do you think it might be less busy if you just put a flat on the dome (or even concave) with the CB in it. I like the finned transition to the cap though. The logo looks good as well.

27. Crafty B

Crafty B

I did get the pattern built this afternoon and I played around with the logo, my first attempt at carving anything so I made a small mold to cast the logo blanks in. I used body filler as the material for the logo and having the mold it with speed up this learning process. I do like your idea Jersey about taking out the radius below the hex nut..I will machine one up and see how it looks. Foundry Jay stopped down tonight and he is going to pour tomorrow, the knock off assembly in aluminum and the logo badge in brass. I will play around with some different designs and practice up on the carving.

I love this part of casting!!
    can't wait till tomorrow!
    Crafty

Attached Files:

28. jerseyboy

jerseyboy

Crafty,

What do you think of this? I did a little foundry work on the computer:rolleyes:.

[​IMG]

29. lorodz

lorodz

30. Hot Turkey

Hot Turkey