Register now to get rid of these ads!

Pontiac motor in a Ford??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Flyinsolo71, Mar 15, 2010.

1. Flyinsolo71

Flyinsolo71
    from Austin

I am in the process of installing a Pontiac 389 into my shoebox ford. It will be a gasser style car, wanted to run something a little different for a motor. I know that there is a SBC conversion but what about a Pontiac? Has anyone else on here ever done it? If so could you post some pics of motor mounts?

Thanks in advance!

2. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

Groucho did it with his '51 AWB. 421 and 4 speed.

3. 55chieftain

55chieftain

That depends on what year the 389 is. What year 389? 59-60 could also use the Hurst front mount if that would work, it's made for 55-60 engines only. I have an extra if thats the case and your interested. Groucho would know best on this deal.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2010
  4. Flyinsolo71

Flyinsolo71
    from Austin

The motor is a 63'.

5. [​IMG]

Is this an auto or a stick? Do you have the trans and related parts? What about location? will it be set back? 1959 and newer Pontiac engines use side mounts but, you could also mount it from the front cover a few different ways. Should be easy to do. Set it in there with trans and should be fairly easy.
    Also, Pontiac has a rear sump, not sure how that helps or hurts.

Good luck with it and keep us posted. I'd like to see pics.

Steve

Hosting-
    12th annual Pontiac Heaven April 8-11, 2010 Phoenix

www.pontiacheaven.org
    8th annual Nostalgic Show & Go! April 11, 2010 Phoenix
    www.nostalgicshowandgo.org

6. Flyinsolo71

Flyinsolo71
    from Austin

Applekrate,

I am running it with a auto tranny. I am going to bolt the block and tranny together and mock it up in a week or two. I will just mess with it til' I find something that works.

Thanks!