Register now to get rid of these ads!

History old cars in the midwest "find' photos

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by corndog, Mar 14, 2010.

1. corndog

corndog
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Indiana

Went to Louisville swap meet on Friday and decided to check out some "info" I was given on an old junk yard in Indiana. It was there all right-saw it with my own eyes. Couldn't really find the "home-base" gas station I was told about, so I ended up asking some guys at the volunteer fire dept. They told me the "gas station" was actually the old town hotel and had been turned into the garage for the guy that owned the junk yard. But they had not seen the owner in some time and rumor has it that he was in a nursing home and future plans for the cars and collectibles were unknown. The pictures I took of the cars were from the road. I did wander into the car-area (woods?) a short distance but it was real wet and soggy. Most of the cars were late 40s and early 50s and most looked to be in bad shape but complete. Still have some good parts no doubt! I took a lot more pictures with my phone as I walked around but dont yet know how to transfer those to the computer. I figure I will go back to this place at least one more time to try to get some info on an owner.

Attached Files:

2. Is that a 32 3window laying in the woods upside down?

3. russ1403

russ1403

Cool:),,i love the pics,,i could spend a day there looking around.looks like lots of good stuff waiting to be picked up,,hope it all dosen't go to the scrapper.

4. Kool49

Kool49

I could spend all day there, i just love being around the old stuff..........................................

5. I'd keep on it, if the guy's in a nursing home he has a lot of bills to pay, a scrap guy comes along with it up to $200 a ton right now his big-$$$ offer to buy it all is going to look real nice either to the guy or to whomever is managing his affairs -

6. bobj49f2

bobj49f2

25+ years ago I found an old junk yard in central Wisconsin with a bunch of old cars, mostly complete. Went in search of it a few years back but couldn't find it. I recognized some land marks from the last time I was there. Stopped and asked a guy mowing his lawn if he had any idea of where the place was. Turned out I had the right place but a few years before they completely cleared the yard out. The guy said there were truck after truck of crushed hauling it away. Too bad, the yard was on the back roads and didn't get a lot of traffic. I have a feeling a lot of nice old iron was crushed.

7. BEAR

BEAR

thanks for the pic's

8. Nicholson

Nicholson

Great pictures...you ever notice that all of the really old bias-ply tires that you see are always bald...

cars in woods (5).jpg

9. ponchopowerd

ponchopowerd

nice find i would keep a eye out on it like rusty said, i found a place like that a while ago, but same story was gone by the time i got back around to it