Register now to get rid of these ads!

312 y-block carburation ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by LIL.TIMMYUser Name, Feb 11, 2010.

1. The old books actually show it as 145 ft/lbs and that is deffinetly a misprint, I always torque to 95 even with studs. ;)

2. Low Fat 38

Low Fat 38
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Norton,Ma

Are the Factory dual quad set ups worth the expence? Mine is a 292 with stock intake with 2 barrel.

3. shmoozo

shmoozo
    from Media, PA

Sorry to be so negative and piss all over this discussion, but ...

Is it just me or does anybody else regard the installation of an excessively multi-carbed intake with blocked off carbs as a bit like having a fauxtina paint job?

I mean, yeah, I can understand not wanting to just have a single 4 barrel on top of every V8 in every hot rod (booorrrring!), but would it really be so bad to have a properly configured and well-tuned dual quad or 3x2 intake where all the carbs actually worked?

4. A Rodder

A Rodder

Just because they are not all operational does not mean they are fake. Where is yours?

5. Low Fat 38

Low Fat 38
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Norton,Ma

Both Ford and the Aftermarket gave us a lot to choose from. I would like to have a well tuned dual quad. The Ford Factory piece is half the cost of the others 2x4 or 3x2 set ups. I have my budget others have theirs. The end result is it all looks good and its bolted onto a Y Block.
    My original question was performance wise, is it worth the expence. What otherchanges need to be made.First find two Correct Ford carbs with linkage,order the rebuild kits. Or look to the aftermarket.A pair of Holly/Carter 4160's 390CFM. seems like a good start. Would like to here from the guys who've been there and done it

6. i am doing the same on my 54 merc i have a edelbrock 6x2 but there are no water ports on it. what are some ways to hook that up?

7. It depends on how clean you want it to look.

The simplest way is to simply tap the water passages on the heads (where the intake manifold would normally attach); screw in some type of hose bibb on each side; and run hoses to a remote thermostat housing. You then use a Chevrolet style water neck, which come in various styles and angles- pick one that goes in the direction you need. The problem that you may have is that the water passage holes can be very corroded. This can usually be worked around, but some of the passages can be a mess, and you don't want to use a 2" diameter bibb because you had to make the hole just that big. You will be using a pipe thread tap into cast iron, so plan accordingly. :)

A slightly cleaner method is to fab up small adapter plates/bibbs out of aluminum and bolt those to the head....you will probably need to integrate these with your manifold logs in one fashion or another so that the plates have a bolt holding them down on each side.

The third option is to block off the passages entirely, and drill/tap the front of the heads for your hose bibbs. Without lecturing ya- be very certain as to exactly what you are doing, and where, before you do it. If any doubts, a machine shop can probably do it for not too much $$.

The remote thermostat: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/OFY-5308/

8. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

When I rebuilt the 312 in the 57 the machinist said the mains would be $110.00
    I was a (real) parts guy at the time and told him to hold off on that cause I needed to look around. I did. Then I called him and said go ahead and gettem, and what kind of beer did he like? I couldnt get a better deal by $20.00