Register now to get rid of these ads!

Ohio George Montgomery's '34 Ford (photos??)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by redlinetoys, Feb 28, 2010.

1. redlinetoys

redlinetoys
    from Midwest

Below is a brief history of the '34 Ford mostly as outlined on the Ohio George website www.georgesspeedshop.com. Curious if anyone has any more photos of this car or any more information???

"George's first professional race activities began in the 1950’s in a hopped-up 1953 Cadillac. Later came a ’34 Ford five-window coupe with a flathead engine in it. George had a friend who's dad had a Ford dealership (Stenger’s Ford in Dayton, Ohio) and in 1951 they towed his '34 Ford to compete at the Bonneville Salt Flats in northwestern Utah. That Bonneville trip, as it turned out, was merely a prelude to his championship racing career."

"It wasn’t long until he swapped the five-window body for a three-window coupe body. By 1955 George had a 331 McCullough blown Cadillac motor with 4 2 barrel carbs, a La Salle Transmission, and an early Ford rear end in the '34 Ford. It was FAST. He won a pair of NHRA Safari tours and Top Eliminator, even beating all the dragsters with it. During this time he was still working at Delco Products and making some trick stuff for the ‘34, stuff that wasn't available anywhere. Amazingly, the ’34 Ford was a dual-function street/drag machine and was seen frequently on the streets around Dayton, Ohio. Even the ’34 Ford’s tow truck at the time, a supercharged 1955 (265 c.i. engine) Chevy Cameo Carrier, was raced from time to time."

The '34 was retired in October 1959 when the more famous Willys came onto the scene.

I believe the car has been in the Don Garlits Museum for the last 5 years or so. Current or past photos anyone??

Here is the one photo I have seen. Surely there are others...

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 28, 2010
  2. oldsrocket

oldsrocket

subscribing.... I used to go to stengers when they were still around when I started restoring my first car. It was amazing the stuff that they still had that was NOS on the shelfs from the 50's and 60's.....even into the early 90's.

3. redlinetoys

redlinetoys
    from Midwest

The car ran 11.96 at 125.87 mph. Unreal at that time.

When the 33 Willys replaced this car in '59, the little '34 Ford stayed in the Dayton Ohio area until it was sold in 1964.

Either at that time, or sometime thereafter, it ended up in my home town in Ed Beckers garage (Indiana). He had the car for many years and, as I understand, Don Garlits spoke with him several times over those later years regarding getting the car into the museum.

In 2004, the car was finally sold for an undisclosed sum and ended up with Garlits.

Would love to see any photos that are out there of this amazing street/strip ride.

4. Redline, If You know anybody that has a collection of the "Little books", There was a feature article with pictures in the Jan 57 Rod and Custom.

5. mickeyc

mickeyc

It is indeed in the Garlits muesum, saw it last Thursday, right next to the 554 coupe. Nice pair. MickeyC

6. moparman71

moparman71

is there anything specific on the car that you want picture of. I see it everyday

7. 1934coupe

1934coupe

Here's a picture of what are believed to be Ohio Georges 33 Willys steel fenders from the early 60s. I have the magazine article to go with them, they are still light blue but the paint is flaking off.

Pat

Attached Files:

8. Streetwerkz

Streetwerkz

Subscribed!!
    love the Ohio history

9. Paul2748

Paul2748

Those 33 Willys fenders were declared illegal for Gas coupes/sedans class because of the drastic cut made to the front. Looks like the same thing was done to the Ford.

10. moparman71

moparman71

here are some pictures for you

Attached Files:

11. Heo

Heo

but...but...its not flatblack and
    got disc brakes no e&j lights
    cant be from the 50s

12. 'Mo

'Mo

Side by side with his Willys; cover Rod and Custom (Feb/'60).

[​IMG]

13. lowkroozer

lowkroozer

MO I love the price of the book , let alone the cover picture!!!!!!!

14. narlee

narlee

What's with the disc brakes?

15. Mat Thrasher

Mat Thrasher

Does anybody have any info on the disc brakes? Very cool.

16. 58fed

58fed
    BANNED

the discs look to be early airhart or most likely british sports car, from that era.

17. 'Mo

'Mo

As of the above R&C cover (Feb/1960) the Ford was still running Ford (hydralic) drums.
    The Willys, however, had been equipped with Goodyear spot disc brakes.

18. Here a picture of it I took last year at Garlit's place. The front clip has been repainted, it kind of stands out against the old paint elsewhere.

Steve

Attached Files:

19. That's all us kids could afford from out lunch money back then.

20. redlinetoys

redlinetoys
    from Midwest

Moparman and the others. Thanks so much for posting up some additional pics of this car.

You may have seen another thread on here with a member looking for information on an old local car club called the Lafayette Lugs.

One of the original members owned that 34 for many years in my home town, but I never got to see the car, only heard rumors about it. As we try to put together some history on this old car club, it is fantastic to have some photos like this. Perhaps the local owner will have some photos and or stories to share as well. We haven't gotten that far yet.

Thanks again, and if there are other pics out there, particularly of the early history like the magazine shoot, feel free to add them to this post.

21. moparman71

moparman71

I just looked today and on the caliper it has embossed (Goodyear MAWLEY Type) the caliper stands are homemade, and it appears that the rotors are from a motorcycle adapted to a early ford hub.

22. redlinetoys

redlinetoys
    from Midwest

Moparman, thanks for the details. Any more pics you care to take would be appreciated. Would love to see a recent side shot and a rear shot from. Do you work at the museum (or is this DON!)???

23. moparman71

moparman71

sorry I am not don. I just work on the cars there at the museum. George`s car was actually the first car i worked on there. I can`t get you a good rear shot but here is a side view.

Attached Files:

24. redlinetoys

redlinetoys
    from Midwest

No disappointments! It is very cool that you work there and are on this board willing to provide up close photos. I REALLY appreciate it. The additional pics are great. Thanks so much for your time!

Happy Motoring!

25. Hoosier Hurricane

Hoosier Hurricane

April 1957 Hot Rod Magazine has a one page spread on George's '34.

John

26. redlinetoys

redlinetoys
    from Midwest

Great info! Thanks everyone!!!

27. M.Edell

M.Edell

One of my all time absolute favorite 34 Fords.