Register now to get rid of these ads!

Help. I need all opinions, before I jump

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dirtroad, Mar 4, 2010.

1. Dirtroad

Dirtroad
    Member Emeritus

Yea. Some of the southern people don't realize that up here, in Canada, it cost at least half again as much to bye, build, restore, or modify any car. I have a 2007 F150, I bought new for $65,000.oo I bet that would raise a few eyebrows stateside. Deuce Roadster seems to know what he's talking about, and has given some good advice. But I don't think anyone has steered me wrong. I asked for Opinions, and I got exactly what I wanted.
    I guess its hard to fathom what it costs to live in Canada. They go to Pep Boy's and buy a quart of oil for around $1.50. We go to Canadian Tire and buy a liter (a little smaller than a quart) of oil for $3.50. The part that burns my ass is that both bottles came from Alberta.
    I think that the price for the 31 is a little high. But like you, I looked at the cost to build a piece like that one, and it doesn't seem to far out of line. Even if I had it built in the US, I still need to get it home, and that the part that costs.

Thanks for understanding
    Dusty

2. Just because things cost more in Canada, doesn't mean you should overpay when buying in the US. Your comments give more reason to pay less for a car down here, not less reason.

3. Dirtroad

Dirtroad
    Member Emeritus

I'm Looking. Price isnt the whole story here. It could be free. If I dont like it, it aint comming home. I know exactly what your saying. I've already found 6 that I'm going to look at next week. None over $30,000.oo I'm flying into Charolette, I have one to look at in Fayettville N.C, I may not bother with the over priced one.
    Thanx
    Dusty

4. 45 grand is nuts for a model a!I'll sell you mine for 20 CAD and I'm only 5 hours away!And yes it got a hemi![see my album]

5. Dirtroad

Dirtroad
    Member Emeritus

Thanks Rusty.
    I got my heart set on a 30 to 35 Ford. One we're going to look at is a BBF.:cool:

6. wheels1950

wheels1950
    from PA. USA

I know this isn't a coupe but this was just sold in my area for 20

Attached Files:

7. hEY MAN, iF YOU BUY THAT CAR FOR ANYWHERE NEAR WHAT THEY'RE ASKING...i BEG YOU to please NOT post here. I'm DONE. And you're NUTs if you pay anywhere near that, no matter what the circumstances are, OK?

8. Dirtroad

Dirtroad
    Member Emeritus

I sent you a p/m. Dusty

9. Got it. I sent you some info on a nice "A" that's here @ Pomona swap meet for 25K asking. A "done" car for you to use for comparing what's out there. Good luck

10. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

45k for that Model A today=no way! You're getting into 32-34 prices there. Sure it has a Hemi, but that interior material looks to be the pre pleated stuff you can buy at a well stocked fabric shop. Looks like a do it yourself interior, and the stained pine dash/gauges look out of place and should be in a 70's build.
    Look for a 5-8k Model A resoration project that has a straight body. Sell off all the stock stuff/chassis and build or buy a rod chassis. Or start with a 3k Model A body. That car is worth 25k or so in my book.

11. Dirtroad

Dirtroad
    Member Emeritus

Thanx Groucho
    I'm looking foward to just getting away. Hopefully, I be will home with a new toy next week.
    Have you got any info on the "A". Your right. I need a base line. I'm taking my camera and lap Top, so I will Blog my adventure.
    Who know's, if I cant find something on the east coast, I'll try the same on the west coast. After all, that's where this whole thing started.

Thanx very much
    Dusty

12. mikeco

mikeco
    from virginia

Just checking in to see how the search is going!!

13. Dirtroad

Dirtroad
    Member Emeritus

:D I made It! I got back to Toronto Int'l Airport ( Pearson Int'l. For the young Canucks) at 10:00pm Friday. It was a good trip, with a very good out come. It didn't start out well. We got to the airport at 6:eek:o am Monday, only to find that our flight was canceled. ( they couldn't sell enough seats) The next direct flight to Charlotte, was at 5:00pm. So after I came down from a bout of rage. I got us on to a direct flight to Atlanta GA. It got into the air by 10:am We landed, got threw Customs, and had a Rental Car, by 3:30 pm. It was time to check the lap top for Local prospects. "Hay, where the F*#K is my lap top!!" Newt ran back to the luggage carousel. No luck. He then ran around Atlanta Airport like a Raped Ape, trying to find someone that could help. In the mean time I thought I would phone my wife and let her know that we arrived safe. " Hi Hon, We got here, But here is Atlanta Ga." I said. "Great", Didn't you want top take your lap top.?" Say's her. " Huh!" says I. " I saw it on the back seat of the pick-up as I got home" Says she. "Oops". Say's I.
    It was around 5:eek:o when I found Newt. "Hay" I said. "Ya wanna hear sum thing real funny". Boy, that guy needs to work on a sense of humor.
    After he calmed down, we found a hotel and grabbed as many Old Auto books as we could find. and plotted a plan while we ate our first meal of the day.

Tuesday 6:00 am
    2 local cars, ; 32 3window, SBF, Auto. Older build, but, the picture looked good. Asking $9500.oo. It did look Ok, but it was due for a rebuild, and updating. The 302 ran like a clock. (tic, tic, tic,) Sticky lifter.
    34 Coach. Best left in Atlanta. It was for sale as a completed project. "Drive It home" It said. This car wasn't safe to walk around, let alone drive.
    We headed for Charlotte.
    Wednesday,
    I couldn't resist, we went and looked at the 31 in question. That killed an hour. I offered him 20 grand as is, or 25 grand with a new interior. He didn't find me funny ether. Whatta sleaze.
    Off to Fayette.
    32 roadster, BBF, C6, Very well built, The car was great. I took it for a spin. I have the speeding ticket to prove it. Man, that F*#kin thing is a beast. 1971, 460, 60 over, tunnel ram/ 2X650 Holley's. I have a list of all the parts, as well as the bills. The seller (George) couldn't have been better. He pulled the wheels, Took the car to a friends garage to put it up an a hoist, and his wife feed us lunch. We spent the rest of Wed. with him looking with a fine tooth chome,at this 32. The only thing that I didn't like was the fiberglass hard top. Newt pointed out, that the thing wouldn't be on that much. Good point.
    We got back to the hotel around 7:00 pm. I was $23,500.oo lighter, With a grin that will not come off. I'm heading back down in two weeks with my trailer. Meanwhile, George is having some minor things looked after and She'll be ALL MINE!
    I haven't unpacked yet. I will post pictures later today or tomorrow.
    We had a great time and made some new friends. We toured around a little on Thursday, with George and the 32. North Carolina is a beautiful State, It was great to cruise in the 32.

Thanx To all for the advice. It was very helpfull.
    Dusty :cool:

14. mikeco

mikeco
    from virginia

I guess the hardest part will be getting the smile off your face!! Congrats on the new 32!!

15. 5window

5window

That's a great tale with a great ending. Keep us updated when you get the car home.

So, the '31's still for sale? :)

16. koolkemp

koolkemp

Cool!! cant wait to see the pics of the 32 !

17. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

Glad you found out the TRUTH about that dealer ... :)

Congratulations on the new ROADSTER ...
    You need to come down in June and run the " All Deuces Run " to Blowing Rock NC.

[​IMG]

Go here for a thread on last years run.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=367045&showall=1

:D

18. ironpile

ironpile

It doesen`t appear to be worth that much,but it`s you and your "WIFES" money. If she agrees to it,please negotiate your butt off to get a better price. My opinion is worth just what you paid for it.LOL

19. DMFB

DMFB

Tagman, I'm sorry to hear about that! I will keep you in my prayers. As for the A......no way in hell. You can buy one just as bad ass for half the price. I think it is a horrible investment....I can't see you doing anything but losing your ass if you ever went to sell it. Then again, if you keep making a mess in your crotchial region over this car, and you have the funds, buy it. I look at things in a different perspective I guess.....$7 for lunch is too steep. I can't relate to having that kind of money in my bank.

20. donnie

donnie
    from NC

"It was around 5:eek:o when I found Newt. "Hay" I said. "Ya wanna hear sum thing real funny". Boy, that guy needs to work on a sense of humor."

Now that was funny. But proably not for Newt!
    Sounds like you had a good time.
    Just waiting for the pics.

21. SDhotrod

SDhotrod

I'm glad to see a happy ending to this tale. Can't wait to see your '32!

22. Where's the pics?

23. All the help you pumped us for, and no pictures?

24. Dirtroad

Dirtroad
    Member Emeritus

I am Newton Andersen Jr, Dustin Frazer's best friend.
    It is with great sorrow that I must report that Dusty passed away. He wasn't feeling well on the latter part of our trip. Sunday he was taken, by Ambulance to South Muskoka Hospital. He had suffered a stroke. While in, He suffered 2 more before passing yesterday morning. He leaves his wife of 34 years (Donna), 2 Daughters and 2 Grand Children. We went threw School together
    Donna has asked me to pick-up the Deuce,and bring it home. She said that we would decide to future of all his cars and trucks when I return
    Dusty felt grateful for all the help that all fellow HAMBer's were over his quest for a car. After his accident, we went from building and racing Late Model Sportsman cars to Hot rods. We have been partners and best friends for 50 years. He was a great, kind, loving man. I have lost a brother.
    I will keep monitoring this site. I will post more when I can hold it together better

Thank you Newt

25. -Brent-

-Brent-

How tragic! Please pass along my condolences... just terrible.

26. Dustin? As in Dirtroad (the screen name)? Holy crap, that's terrible

27. mikeco

mikeco
    from virginia

This is the saddest thing I've seen here. My condolances to you & his family........
    You are a good friend!!

28. 333 Half Evil

333 Half Evil

HOLY SHIT. Newt, I am so sorry to hear this. I've folowed this thread with enthusiasm as Dusty really seemed to be having a great time searching for a rod. My condolences go out to Dustys wife, Daughters and grandkids, you, and the rst of his freinds/family. This is just soo hard to belive....damn man, just when a guy has a happy time...you just never know when you time is up.
    Once again, me sincere condolences go out....

29. Deathtrap Kustoms

Deathtrap Kustoms

Wow, this thread has been a roller coaster of emotions! My heart goes out to Dusty's wife and family. Proof my fellow HAMBers, you gotta live every day like its your last cause...

30. SDhotrod

SDhotrod

Very sorry to hear this. Prayers going out for his family.