Register now to get rid of these ads!

History NHRA Junior Stock

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by colesy, Aug 12, 2007.

1. jakethefake

jakethefake
    from fla.

on the 57 pont.i think the side trim represents an ARROW ;on the weight the PONT.is model to model , 300 lbs. heaver than the CHEV. hope this helps . thanks JAKE

2. Bob Bender

Bob Bender

About 300 to 400 more then a 55-57 Chevrolet.

3. P426

P426
    BANNED
    from New Jersey

Thanks Jake.

That front bumper and grill assembly looks like it made up the bulk of that 300 or so lbs. that made it heavier than a comparable Chevy model. :)

Even so, still a great looking car.

Pete

Last edited: Mar 12, 2010
  4. P426

P426
    BANNED
    from New Jersey

I'd have to guess they didn't have a favorable NHRA horsepower rating unlike the 1958 models.

Am I right?

Pete

5. Simon and Biebel

Simon and Biebel
    from N.J.

I can't recall seeing a single '57 Pontiac as a racecar. Really never saw one with fenderwell headers like a '57 Chev. either. Mostly the cars I recall were some wagons as tow cars. There seemed to be a lot fewer of them on the street as well. I liked the body style. My frist nice car was a '58 Pontiac.......I also had a '55 before the '58 but it was pretty rough looking and nowhere near as fast as the '58.

6. straightaxle65

straightaxle65

This Pontiac had the original 347 Tri-power and was raced in H/SA. This picture was taken at Thunder Valley in Marion South Dakota in the very early 70s. Bud Lias from Akron Iowa bought the car in Washington state and for a time it held a National record. Bud eventually blew the engine up and then sold it to a couple other guys from Akron. They in turn found a junkyard engine and ran it like that in the brackets. Thats why in this photo it says HR-1 which was Hot Rod 1, a bracket class back then. It shows it dialed in at 15.55 but in its stocker days it ran in the 13.60s according to Bud.

On kind of a sad note my brother and a buddy bought this car for $150 in about 1974 and was going to race it that next summer. One day a guy came through town and offered him $300. My brother didn't want to sell but his buddy did and so they doubled there money. I showed this picture to my brother a couple weeks ago and the first thing he said was "what a dumb ass I was for selling that car" Hind sight! :( My brother also remembers it having only a few hundred miles on the odometer as it was mostly just a race car up until that time.

Here is a picture of Bud Lias towing the Pontiac with his new 67 GTX.

Attached Files:

7. OLD-OLD TIMER

OLD-OLD TIMER
    from indiana

Having met John in the mid to late 1960s at the us Nations I learned more about racing Pontiac's in one afternoon than any one else ever taught me. He was a sure
    nice Pontiac guy

old-old timer

8. Simon and Biebel

Simon and Biebel
    from N.J.

Oh...I forgot about John Thropps car..... John Thropp or Fred Borcherdt had a '57 Safari Wagon tow car, I don't know who's it was.......and I think it had a F.I. unit on it. I saw it at one race and loved it....

I had a '58 F.I. unit in my basement for years.....I was trying to find a '57 Safari wagon to build as a street/tow car......I had a '58 engine laying around in pieces.......eventually gave up and sold what I had....

I took the F.I. unit off a car I found on a farm in Flemington ,NJ. Paid $75.00 for it with everything. The car was a '58 Super Chief......

Sold the unit for something like $300 a few years later and thought that was good......I wonder what that unit would bring today?

I had the F.I. front fender emblems off the Super Chief in my basement for 30+ years....sold them a few years ago for $150.....

Last edited: Mar 12, 2010
  9. TMcCrea

TMcCrea
    from Maryland

We talked about both John Thropp and Fred Borcherdt at dinner the other night. Both Little George and Dick Jarrell said that they have had phone conversations with Fred in the past few months. Maybe we can get him to contribute to the discussion.

10. 55chieftain

55chieftain

Wow , that's a nice looking 57 ! If anyone has anymore Pontiacs pics or info please post them, thanks. I think i've already saved all the other Pontiac pics on this thread.

11. 4MALS

4MALS

I might have posted these before anyhow heres a 57 pathfinder sedan delivery, M/P or Jr stock? It was raced at Cayuga and Niagara , late 60's early 70's. I have known about this car ever since i was a kid and was , is owned by a good friend of my dads. From the look of it he did pretty well, thats only a small amount of trophys he won.Unfortuneatlly he was diagnosed with allzhiemers and the car is in limbo at the moment. His name is Bob Crysler. Any pics or info out there?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Stock Racer likes this.
  12. cgaswillys

cgaswillys
    from New Jersey

Amazing. That car needs to be saved and restored.

13. WagonKiller

WagonKiller
    BANNED

Yes it does i really like that .

:cool:

14. Gary Glover

Gary Glover

Congrats Colesy on 300 pages and the Ultimate Junior Stock articles. I was there for most of that.:)

15. OLD-OLD TIMER

OLD-OLD TIMER
    from indiana

Colesy
    Do have any info on why Don Gay and Ted Harbit was DQ that year?

old-old timer

16. straightaxle65

straightaxle65

Maybe this will explain why the boy from Texas was DQed :eek:

Attached Files:

17. ScottV

ScottV

18. straightaxle65

straightaxle65

No, I'm sure Don was as straight as they come. That picture was one of the imfamous murals painted on the shop wall at Mr Norms Grand Spaulding Dodge from back in the 60s to make fun of there competitors. When it was asked why he was DQed that picture came to mind.

Sorry to get off topic but heres one more of the Ramchargers.

Attached Files:

19. straightaxle65

straightaxle65

And you can see Ohio George Montgomery in the back ground of the obove picture.

20. TMcCrea

TMcCrea
    from Maryland

If you are really "old-old", you will remember that stockers were required to run a full exhaust system. Don Gay's muffler was deemed to be too short by 1/2" or 1/4".

Can't remember the Harbit deal.

21. Hoosier Hurricane

Hoosier Hurricane

Harbit's bore was declared .001 too big. The same engine was checked at a points meet a few weeks before the Nationals and was declared legal. This is why we Jr. Stockers started building our engines .058 over instead of .060. The temperature of the block could affect the bore size. In another post, it was mentioned that Jack Clifford probably drove his Hudson to Indy. Well, Harbit always drove his cars to the Nationals. He once told me he went to Farmer at teardown to ask when his engine would be checked, he had to put it back together to drive it home. Farmer couldn't believe he drove it.

John

22. straightaxle65

straightaxle65

I believe Arnie Beswick was DQed for being .001 oversize on the bore back in his stocker days but I'm not sure what race it was at.

23. straightaxle65

straightaxle65

My favorite Mopar stocker.

Attached Files:

24. 67 W-30

67 W-30
    from N.E. Ohio

congrats colsey on"fabulous" 300

25. Jon Lundberg

Jon Lundberg

Had the pleasure Thursday night to introduce the first-ever Sportsman inductee to the International Drag Racing Hall Of Fame. I'm sure he has been mentioned in this thread. His name is Bobby Warren. Bobby has been a three-time NHRA World Champion. First time was at the wheel of his J/SA 69 Chevy Nova in 1970.

A truly amazing, yet very laid back, person with a marvelous personal story.

I have a new hero and his name is Bobby Warren.

26. spauser

spauser
    from florida

The color was right off the 'lot'..... here is a photo of the car as we knew it... Sad to say "Super Tom" passed away this week at the age of 66 in Piscataway NJ... he will be missed!
    Nice to see he is still thought of in the 'Drag Racing World'.....
    Sandy

Attached Files:

27. spauser

spauser
    from florida

Here is the Vett and "Super Tom"... I'm sad to say "Tom" passed away this week at the age of 66, in Piscataway NJ.... makes me smile to see he is still thought of...
    God's speed Tommy!

Attached Files:

28. P426

P426
    BANNED
    from New Jersey

Such fanaticism and hair-splitting is mega-absurd. For crying out loud, those tech guy(s) could've let those class winners slide! No one would've been the wiser, either, especially since in no shape, way, manner or form was there any performance gain by such a microcosmic infraction. Zero, zip, none, nada!

Pete

Last edited: Mar 13, 2010
  29. P426

P426
    BANNED
    from New Jersey

Sorry to hear that. :( My condolences to you and the rest of Tom's family.

Best regards,

Pete

30. P426

P426
    BANNED
    from New Jersey

Can't say the same thing about "The Drag Queen" Gene Snow.

Pete