Register now to get rid of these ads!

Air bag pressure witch question.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by TMoney, Mar 12, 2010.

1. TMoney

TMoney

I was wondering if what I have planned here will work. Anyone's input will be benficial. Thanks in advance.

If I install my pressure switch in-line before the drain out the bottom of the tank, will it work? I only have the 4 outlets besides the drain and they are all being used. I guess my thought was that if I put it in-line on any other outlet that the line opening will drop the pressure in immediate surrounding location and switch the compressor on prematurely.

I made the diagram below to show what I am talking about.

Any thoughts?

[​IMG]

2. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Is that a dual needle bag pressure gauge, monitoring each bag? Or a single needle, monitoring both bags?

3. I dont see why it wouldnt work

by the way very nice diagram

Last edited: Mar 12, 2010
  4. TMoney

TMoney

It's a dual needle air gauge monitoring both bags.

5. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It should work fine. You are measuring the pressure in the tank and there will be a slight pressure drop at the outlets to your fill valves when they are in operation, but that happens anyway. All you want to do is cut the compressor back on and, presumably, you are doing that at a pressure greater than the lowest pressure of any axis. Correct?

You want to make sure you have a check valve in each of those lines going to that gauge, if you use one gauge. You don't want air from one bag bleeding over to the other. Best to use two separate gauges.

6. TMoney

TMoney

I thought about putting the tank pressure gauge and aux. outlet before a fill valve on one bag line but just think this would look cleaner.

7. kraka138

kraka138

you better wire that pressure switch to the power for the compressor.......

but yeah your plumbing plan looks right

8. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The dual needle gauge is like two separate gauges in the same housing.

The tank pressure gauge can go anywhere, just not where water would flow into it. I think that you might want the pressure switch away from where it will be exposed to water too.

9. TMoney

TMoney

The pressure switch kicks on at 165 and off at 200 so ya, it'll work perfect.

The lines going to the gauge go to 2 different connections in the back. It's basically 2 gauges on the same face.

10. rockabillyrat

rockabillyrat

Dont forget to use a high amp relay to do this. do not share one for both if you plan to run 2 compressors.

11. TMoney

TMoney

Ya, thats the point of it right? This diagram only shows plumbing, not wiring.

Thanks guys.

12. TMoney

TMoney

I never thought of the water problem. That's exactly where water will rest. Will this be a problem? Should I get an in-line dryer?

13. TMoney

TMoney

Or just not put It there?

14. TMoney

TMoney

That is also drawn on the wiring diagram and not this one. :) 1 fuse for 1 compressor.

15. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Both. Water traps are good to have, so long as you make absolutely sure that it is rated for the tank pressure you are planning on running.

I'd put the switch up with the pressure gauge, just to be safe, trap or not. Stuck on or stuck off can both a big problem.

16. TMoney

TMoney

Ok, probably some good advice there. This also gives me another good safety idea. Maybe I'll run another tank pressure gauge up to the dash and wire an emergency shut off switch for the compressor up there too.

17. rockabillyrat

rockabillyrat

Yeah run a inline dyer. Its a great idea, you dont want water getting to you valves and have a problem like a dump valve stick open!!!

also are you running check valves?

i ran 4 one at each line out of the tank. that way if i was low on air i would never take air out of a line by hitting the switch.

18. rockabillyrat

rockabillyrat

yes this is a very good idea too. also if your not running a 100% duty cycle compressor you will be able to shut it off if you need to so you dont over work it. plus some times it nice to turn them off. I had 2 viar 480. so loud!!!

19. TMoney

TMoney

I just bought a brand new chrome viair 480. This wont have an on/off switch I assume so I will just have to wire one in.

20. SquashThatFly

SquashThatFly

pressure switches do not like water. They will seize.

21. LIVINLOW08

LIVINLOW08
    from Kentucky

Everyones advice is pretty good......You diffently dont want to run the pressure switch at the bottom because it will seize....Diffently run a water trap and if it was me,,I would just run the gauge to my tank inside with the other dual needle gauge so you can keep an eye on it..!!You could just tee off of the same port...Im assuming your not running a square D?? I just prefer a square D where its fully adjustable for
    any application....good luck man

22. TMoney

TMoney

What's a square D?

23. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Square D is a brand of electrical components. They make a stout pressure switch for compressor applications.

24. Salty

Salty
    from Florida

I would move the pressure switch to teh port that you have set aside for the tack pressure guage as well as the aux air source (to keep it away from the moisture)

As far as a dryer....I highly recommend one, bout 14 bucks...kinda like a oil filter...you really dont need it, but do you want to run without one? Put the dryer in between of the compressor and the tank.

25. lowlife matt

lowlife matt

The pressure switch can go in or share any port in the tank. You can get a fitting that will let the pressure switch and the compressor share the same port.
    suicidedoors.com

26. TMoney

TMoney

What size pressure switch should I run? My tank says it's max is 200 psi. Should I get a 165/200 switch or should I get something that doesn't let the compressor pump the tank all the way to 200?

27. TMoney

TMoney

Oh ya...and an updated diagram. Ha.

[​IMG]

28. TMoney

TMoney

Anyone have some insight on what pressure switch to use?

29. lowlife matt

lowlife matt

Go to suicidedoors.com They have square D adj. switches(I dont like). And regular non adj. inline switches. The non adj. switches range in 110 on/145 off psi, 145/175 psi, and 175/200 psi. A tank can hold the 200 psi but its hard on the compressor. (depending on the brand and size) Your best bet is 110/145 psi or 145/175 psi switch. Thats the most popular.
    //www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=925608&stc=1&d=1268580496ches[/url]

http://www.suicidedoors.com/catalog/air-management/pressure-switches

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 14, 2010
  30. TMoney

TMoney

Cool. Thanks for the insight. I guess I will buy a 145/175 switch. I think the 110 would be too small.