Register now to get rid of these ads!

1949 plymouth coupe vs. wagon frame

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kurts49plym, Mar 12, 2010.

1. kurts49plym

kurts49plym
    from IL

Would anyone know whether the body of a 1949 plymouth suburban wagon bolts on perfectly to a 1949 plymouth 2 dr. coupe frame?

Are the frames the same? I think the wheelbase is the same:rolleyes:. Thanks for your time! Considering buying a wagon with bad frame, and using the coupe frame. Kurt

2. my 51 hardtop and a 51 wagon were for sure different. ask on the p-15 they will know.

3. Frankie47

Frankie47
    from omaha ne.

First series 49 looks like 46-48, second series is boxier and shorter...I cannot see either one fitting the suburban frame but I will check it out.

4. gonejunking

gonejunking
    from NW USA

Yes they are the same frame. The P-17 3 passenger coupe and 2 door sedan frame is the same as the P-17 Suburban frame. Thay are 161 and 5/8 inches from the front hole in the frame to the rear most hole in the frame. All body mounts are the same. The different frame that year is for the P-18 club coupe, and four door sedan, and they are 169 and an 1/8inch from front hole to rear hole in the frame. I got this info out of Chiltons Motor age, Body and frame Manual, first edition, printed 1950.
    If you really need to see it, I can scan the 2 pages that show the frames with all the dimentions.
    Jeffrey

5. Frankie47

Frankie47
    from omaha ne.

According to Allpar the p17 bizzy coupe, 2 door sedan, and 2 door suburban all share the same 111 inch wheelbase. Just google 1949 plymouth wheelbases:)
    Yuck my foot tasted bad!:eek:

6. kurts49plym

kurts49plym
    from IL

Attached I think is considered a 49 p18 coupe. If I have a wagon that needs a new frame, I should try and find the business coupe model of this for parts, which is considered a p17. Am I correct? Thanks

Attached Files:

7. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Yes, you have it right. As indicated by a previous poster, there are two wheelbases for the '49 Plymouth series. The Business Coupe, All Metal Suburban, and the Concord fastback 2 door sedan share the 111" wheelbase. The Club Coupe (pictured), four door sedan, convertible and 'woody' wagon all were built on the 118" wheelbase.

Ray