Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 32 Chassis, Out and About!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by thunderbirdesq, Mar 12, 2010.

1. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

It's been a long winter...:p

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Nicely done Thunderbirdesq! What is going on it? Keep it up.

3. JD's 32

JD's 32
    from TX

Looks great!

4. Fogger

Fogger

Sure looks like you took advantage of the long winter. You did a great job on your chassis, the x-member ties it all together. Post more when the body gets bolted down.

5. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Fantastic!

6. -Brent-

-Brent-

Beautiful!

Caught me scratching my head at the front mounts for a second.

7. NealinCA

NealinCA

Looks good. How did you connect your E-brake lever to the cables? My brother is trying to do that right now on his 32 chassis...so any suggestions would be good.

And...I think your headlights will bounce with that long lever arm. Just an observation.

Neal

8. poofus1929

poofus1929
    from So Cal

Nice. Looks super clean. Flatheads are so pretty.

9. SteadyT

SteadyT

10. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

Don't feel too bad, my neighbor was looking at it in person and couldn't figure it out! I told him it hangs from the radiator hoses, hehe. I'm going to trim the ears off the pumps for a clean look.

I really struggled with that, but the solution I came up with works great. The problem I found is that the stock 30's handle doesn't give quite enough throw for a good, positive pull on the later hydraulic brakes. Plus, if you don't have the stock brake pivot, it's tough to get the right-side mounted lever to pull the cable from the center of the chassis below the TT. I used a handle mounted in a "stockish" location that pulls on a 2:1 lever arm that I made from an old brake pedal. A piece of heavy flat stock would work just as well. I just heated and bent it and drilled in the appropriate spots. There's a pivot on the right rear Xmember leg for the lever, a clevis and piece of mech brake rod pull on a stock '40's cable and equalizer. If you don't have those rear legs and are just using a stock Kmember, you'd have to find another place to mount the arm, a fabricated stand-off from the back of the K? Anyhow, I'll send you a detail shot of the system tonight when I get home from work.

Thanks for the headsup on the headlight bar. I had that thought as well, but they do seem to be quite stable as is. I figured if I had to I could add a small tie bar from the bottom of the top arm to the upper shock stud. We'll see, SOON I hope!

Last edited: Mar 12, 2010
  11. did you shorten your 35/36 rods and just reangle the mounts for frame clearance?

12. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

Yup, and while I was at it, I mounted them to 40 cones!;)

There's a complete build thread for this car here... I was just thrilled with the chassis being done (almost...) and decided it deserved it's own thread.

13. GREASEMONKEY72

GREASEMONKEY72

14. Looks great Andy.

15. Just flippin' awesome!!

BloodyKnuckles

16. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

My oh my.......
    I was kind of on the fence over using a full 39 X frame I have access to but that needs repairing, or just making a modified K member like yours using an F1 crossmember and some old frame rails...but DAMN those long back legs on yours look so good that the 39 is coming in a distant second.

Love the use of the early Ford frame brackets for the front flex lines too.

Thats ABSOLUTELY as beautiful a traditional frame as I've ever seen. Gonna be saving those pictures for sure! :D

17. AJofHollywood

AJofHollywood

I like it! That frame is going to ride solid as a rock. The tires, 5.00 in front, 7.00 in back?

I looked at your earlier thread about this project. Why didn't you use a Model A cross member in front?

18. AJofHollywood

AJofHollywood

I just noticed --no mufflers!

19. pincher

pincher
    from Saginaw

It look's like you have had a busy winter,look's really nice,i like how you ran the exhaust.What's the white stuff at the end of the drive? Keep us posted on you'r progress.

20. mikeco

mikeco
    from virginia

Spring is in the air & your so close!! Looks great Andy!!

21. dsiddons

dsiddons
    from Indiana

Very Very nice!!!! Looks like mine...

22. CheaterCarl

CheaterCarl

That chassis looks really well done! You have done a really nice job!
    Very simple & clean... PURE INSPIRATION!

Thanks for sharing w/us.

Sincerely,
    Cheatercarl

23. Dirty2

Dirty2

24. Nice lookin chassis!!

25. doctorZ

doctorZ

looks great! i love the work on the center and rear crossmembers.

26. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

That is beautiful.....headlight bar is very cool how it is mounted to the shock mounts.

27. BEAR

BEAR

28. Rocket Sled

Rocket Sled
    from Hanover PA

I think a clean painted complete chassis is sometimes more beautiful than the complete car! something about seeing all the contrast of mechanical items.

Looks great! are you planning on going to the Showdown?

29. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

Whoa! Thanks guys, glad you dig it!

The original '32 crossmember was intact and with the reverse-eye spring and heavily dropped axle, I didn't feel the need to use an A crossmember in front. Plus, now I can use the original '32 engine mounts that are already built into the crossmember. Tires are 5.50 and 7.50.

Assuming nothing explodes during my shakedown period, I will be at the showdown in May, breakin 'er in right! Club brother Turkeyjerk will have his badass 22 T roadster pickup, Bus-T Beefcurtains, there too. Definitely stop by and say hi.

Here's a shot for Neal of the Ebrake equalizer bar I made... Kinda similar to what you'd find on some '50s-'60s cars, just dropped.
    [​IMG]

And since everyone seems to be enjoying this a bit, I guess I'll add this here too. Here's what it sounds like!

<embed width="600" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullscreen="true" allowNetworking="all" wmode="transparent" src="http://static.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid56.photobucket.com/albums/g184/thunderbirdesq/31%20dee-lux/VID00126.flv">

Last edited: Mar 12, 2010
  30. sawzall

sawzall