Register now to get rid of these ads!

Model A coupe roof pieces?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Fixxxr, Jan 25, 2010.

1. Fixxxr

Fixxxr
    from Sk, Canada

Hey everyone...this is my first posting so greetings!

I have a question to all of you "coupe" experts. I recently found a '28 model A 5 window coupe that a local guy has up for sale. The question I have has to do with the roof pieces. It seems like there is something strange about the rear window piece...like it doesn't line up with the body or something. Is this normal or is it off of something other than a 28/29 coupe? I really don't know enought about these to tell for sure and the guy doesn't know anything either, he just says that that's how he got it. Any ideas?

Attached Files:

2. Tank

Tank

That isn't right. It almost looks like the back of a sedan or something that has been cut to "fit" judging by the belt line.

3. Fixxxr

Fixxxr
    from Sk, Canada

Here's a couple more pictures:

Attached Files:

• r1.jpg
      r1.jpg
      File size:
      306.2 KB
      Views:
    • r2.jpg
      r2.jpg
      File size:
      296.7 KB
      Views:
  4. ratster

ratster

coupe looks like a leatherback with a sedan part added

5. Fixxxr

Fixxxr
    from Sk, Canada

So is this something to stay away from..or could a guy cut that bottom piece out and weld it back up?

6. Everything is relative to " how much " $$$$$. If it's priced right and the prior work was done to your satisfaction I'd say go ahead and get it and whack about 3 1/2 or 4 inches out of the roof. That will make it look better, ( in my opinion ). But you have to decide if it's worth pursuing or if the prior owner just screwed it up to bad to continue. Piecing stuff together isn't always a bad thing, as long as it was done right. You have to have a vision at the start or you'll never see the end. I think it's a roadster with a sedan rear roof section and some coupe doors, certainly would be a challange, and I mean that in a good way.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2010
  7. Fixxxr

Fixxxr
    from Sk, Canada

As far as I can tell, the pieces aren't welded to the body yet so I don't think things are screwed up too bad. The price IS right as far as I'm concerned since the rest of the body is very soild(other than a couple little patch panels...but that's to be expected). I guess the real question I had, was whether that back piece was off a different model of car(other than a Model A). I now see how it could possibly be off a sedan like Tank suggested. I guess if I just cut that piece out, weld it all together, it should look just fine!

8. i agree with the leatherback with maybe a hacked up sedan piece. anything can be fixed..if the price is low enough. how much does he want?

9. LOWCAB

LOWCAB
    from Houston

Looks like a Model A special coupe. Back panel looks wrong for the model, but if you are going to go back to the upholstered back then you should be able to at least use the panel you have now with some mods. Upholstery will cover much of the steel in the back.

Attached Files:

10. Fixxxr

Fixxxr
    from Sk, Canada

I can pick it up for $1500. That does not include the gas tank & firewall though. I still think it's a deal. Suppose I have to actually see it in person to find out for sure.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2010
  11. Fixxxr

Fixxxr
    from Sk, Canada

Don't really think I'll go back to the leather covering...not really my thing. Most likely will do some metal work and and keep everything steel back there.

12. Reds 29

Reds 29

I agree with what others have said, it's a special coupe, some call them leatherbacks, with a sedan center piece stuck in there. You are probably also missing the beltline trim that fits around the bottom of the quarter window area, and covers the gap between the quarter panel and top. Originally the beltline trim covered the nails and wood that attached the top to the bottom piece. The wood bolted to the quarter panel. Check out carnut.com for pictures of how they looked originally. I built a standard coupe out of pieces from a special coupe, standard coupe, and sport coupe. The lower quarter panels were the same for all them. The original Special coupe center piece didn't have a metal edge around the window. It had wood around the window and the material of the top folded around the wood. It probably rotted out, that's why you have something different in there. Let me know if I can help.
    Red

13. 56nobrakes

56nobrakes

I also have a 29 special coupe that I am building. It came with the same back window that is shown with the one you are interested in. I was able to cut it at the top so it aligns with the side panels and thru the window area (it's chopped) to get it to fit. the trouble is getting the belt line to fit properly but it can be done. I to like the metal look over the vinyl

14. Fixxxr

Fixxxr
    from Sk, Canada

How do you mean you cut it at the top? The only way I see making it happen is by cutting the bottom section off.

15. jbergman

jbergman

Looks like a 1930-31 roof on a 1928-29 body.

16. garagerods

garagerods
    from Omaha

Take this as constructive criticism only....

For what it is the money is too high.

And...if your asking these types of questions now, your really going to be confused when your building it.

I would start with something more complete. It will make your life much easier for your first project.

my 2 cents.

good luck.

17. I'd probably take a slice out below the window.

$1500 in Canada, is probably a decent price.

18. I know the car... looked at it. It's a leather back with a sedan back window stuck in to make it look more complete.
    WD40

19. ponchopowerd

ponchopowerd

looks like a 29 chevy back window, my buddy has one and it looks like it from what i can tell

20. nutajunka

nutajunka

Buy it fix it drive it.

21. Fixxxr

Fixxxr
    from Sk, Canada

Well....I ended up buying it a while back. I know what I'm getting into as it IS going to be a lot of work lol. I think I got it at a fairly decent price even though it's a leatherback. Coupes don't really come along that often up here, and when they do, they don't last long. What I meant by why would you cut it at the top is that I thought it would make more sense to cut the bottom off, that's all. Either way, glad I bought it and can't wait to get started on it now that the snow's melting!

22. 39 All Ford

39 All Ford
    from Benton AR

Good for you, congrats!

The HAMB is a great source of info and inspiration, with the internet, no one has to "go it alone" anymore.

23. Congrats! I think you did the right, looks like a great project. I think it’s a special coupe roof; the back of the roof is made out of wood. I have a rusted out sport coup I made into a standard coup, I bought a roof from a special coup with the rear section from a fordor (I think). Lots of work but it worked out good, I didn’t done it my self. I have a very good friend who is amazing with metal work. Here is a link to my project,,
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=336485

Lars

24. 32V8

32V8

This is a leatherback my buddy is building.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The roof is finished now, all steel with a 31/2" chop. I have more pics I will post Sunday after I get home from below.
    [​IMG]

25. Fixxxr

Fixxxr
    from Sk, Canada

I've followed your build and I must say...pretty impressive! My plan too is to turn this into a standard coupe(or as close to as I can). Mine is indeed a special coupe. It has the rear window section from a 28/29 sedan judging by the shape of the beltline moulding. Still trying to think of the best way to fabricate the metal strip separating the body and the roof. I have lots of time to think about it as this wont be on the road anytime soon!

26. kwoodyh

kwoodyh

Might be a Canada only Model A?;) Like the Merc truck? I'd grab it myself 1500.00 don't sound to bad to me?

27. kwoodyh

kwoodyh

Oop's didn't read down far enough in the thread! Great score good luck on the build and keep us updated on your progress!

28. koolkemp

koolkemp

I think you got a great deal for the money and lots to work with, make sure you keep us updated on your progress eh!

29. Tommy R

Tommy R

Any more updates? I'm curious how you plan to convert it to a standard coupe. I'm looking for an A coupe myself, but special coupes are certainly cheaper. I was told the leatherbacks could have the rear window roof panel and quarter window roof panels swapped out with those from a standard coupe to complete the transformation. Not sure what kind of sheetmetal fab work may be required to do this, though. So I'm here searching for the answer. :)

30. Fixxxr

Fixxxr
    from Sk, Canada

Not a whole lot to update as of yet...but it's coming! Roof pieces for the leatherback can indeed be swapped with those of a standard coupe. As far as I know, they should just bolt right on. The way I see it, with the prices of standard coupe roof pieces being as high as they are, I might as well just try and work with what I have first. The hardest part is definatly going to be tryinig to fab up the beltline piece that connects the roof to the body. I've got a couple really good ideas from talking to guys on here though.