Register now to get rid of these ads!

Ever seen anyone UNchop a top???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by cfnutcase, Mar 10, 2010.

1. cfnutcase

cfnutcase
    from Branson mo

So this guy has a really nice 32 ford vicky that was built in the 50's I would guess and he is paying big money to have the car UNchopped, now he is not restoring it, it will remain a rod, he just wants it to be like a resto rod, now this was a very nice car, running driving very cool piece, and he paid top dollar for the car, now he is paying top dollar to have it unchopped and the thing that gets me is he has a 32 3 window sitting there in line he is going to do the same thing with! If you want a stock height roof fine, go buy one, but why buy a chopped car then unchop it?? And get this, he doesent have any specs on what it should be originally so how does he know when it is unchopped? will it be too tall now? LOL WOW! What a mess, sorry I didnt get any pics yet, the car was in an enclosed trailer and it was dark and hard to see it now. He has had some work done on it, so now it is kinda cut into pieces and just a big fucking mess! LOL Just had to share with you guys! Jim

2. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

Well for one thing, there is a limited supply of those cars and they are either cherried out or a basket case. You just can't run down to your local Wal-Mart and pick one up.

3. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

4. Who cares? If the next lucky owner gets it he can rechop it!

5. The37Kid

The37Kid

I just hope he has a good TIG welder doing the work.

6. So many 32's have been chopped that today seeing a chopped one don't even raise an eyebrow anymore. Unchopped is the new chopped. Just my humble opinion and worth every penny ya paid for it.

7. cfnutcase

cfnutcase
    from Branson mo

Well I can understand if the car has a bad chop or if it was damaged or something, but this was a beautiful car!

And jcmarz money is really no problem here so he can just go buy one, Hemmings is loaded with them every month for someone with deep pockets like this guy, we are talking about someone that payed 75000 for the car then cut it apart! Jim

8. `32 ford Vickys are hard to find , chopped top or not...so you have to work with what you can get. the guy who owns it may not , but maybe the guy doing the work knows what a stock roof height is

a few years ago a i was in a conversation that went like this: "XXXX thinks just because he has money he can get whatever he wants". my response? yeah , but that's how it works

9. Chopped 46 Ford

Chopped 46 Ford

Ah you know the ole saying....a fool and his money are soon parted! just wish I could get one to part some money my way!

10. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

You buy a certain car cause its what you want,,folks buy cars all teh time that others have altered ,,and change it back or into something else so it can be what they want.

Thats just normal

I see folks all teh time DE raking old Harley frames,,same idea

11. 53chieftian

53chieftian

in my eyes hanging unchopped doors on it would at least get you in the ballpark for hieght!

12. bluestang67

bluestang67

2nd , time to be a bit different .

13. iammarvin

iammarvin
    BANNED
    from Tulare, Ca

Only a matter of time before our hot rods become a source for restorers. That's a joke......... well......maybe..........

14. roddinron

roddinron

I don't really see any difference between buying an unchopped car and then chopping it because you think it will look better, and buying a chopped one and unchoppong it because you think it will look better. You might think he's crazy, but he sounds like a hot rodder doing it his way to me.
    And now, the next guy gets to have the fun of chopping it again!:)

15. rustyhood

rustyhood

Either way it will still be a desirable car, I personally love the chop on one. It just gives the look so much attitude. But its his, he can build it how he wants it. But this is the first I ever knew of someone undoing a chop if it was done right.

16. Jims35

Jims35

Good idea,hope it comes out right.

17. Yep, you're right...and then buying some stock or repro garnish pieces, and buying the stock glass all the way around would definitely set you up with some good guidelines. If you know where the bottom of the glass sits relative to the body, once you have the stock glass and garnish, that should at least set up the tops of the windows along with the aforementioned stock door height for you....not that I'm endorsing such an endeavor, but if you really just HAVE to do it...oh well.

18. I totally agree with Ron on this.

19. KENDEUCE

KENDEUCE

I'm with Rich ^ ^ ^ ^ . I have a real vic if he needs dimensions.

20. There's so damn many chopped cars, that sometimes an un-chopped one actually looks pretty "trick" to me

21. I bet it would be fun to watch some do the unchopping. reinventing the wheel... or reconstructing it anyway.

22. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]

I told every one that I unchopped this one back in 79.

I sat in the chopped cab on the frame in the garage and realized it wasn't for me so I cut the back out of it through the carriage bolt holes in the back and restored this cab that someone had cut the back out of below the belt line. The chopped cab was a nice ton & a half cab.