Register now to get rid of these ads!

Honest Charley is the right name!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Malibob, Mar 10, 2010.

1. Malibob

Malibob
    from Pittsburgh

I was shopping around for some misc. parts a couple of weeks ago and saw that Honest Charley did not have any shipping costs on their orders; so I decided to buy from them. Last week the money for the order came out, and then another sum was withdrawn from my account. There was no explaination, no email to tell me what the extra charge was for... nothing. Since then their website has changed so I do not know if this was a problem, if it has changed or if this was a sinlge instance oops for them. I like Honest Charley, their quality and their prices. Just look out for this.

I just called them and had to argue my case, the sales guy told me that they cant ship stuff for free and I argued that people do ship for free all the time and furthermore you cant just start taking money from people without disclosing a reason. I also said that shipping should have been disclosed to me at time of purchase or I would have bought elsewhere. He got a supervisor on and they finally said they will credit my account.

Just keep your eyes out for this from them, had I not been paying attention they would have got one over on me.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2010
  2. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I'm curious... what was the additional cost? If they withheld charging initially in order to charge you actual shipping costs, that's actually a thoughtful deed. However, they should have disclosed this.

All that said, I know Mike... He runs the joint... and he is one hell of a good guy. Very dedicated traditional hot rodder.

3. Malibob

Malibob
    from Pittsburgh

It was for shipping, and that is my beef. They should have explained that actual shipping charges would be added at a later date if that was the case.

Hey, I am not mad they ended up doing the right thing and I like Honest Charley- I have an '81 Malibu I used to buy stuff from them all the time. All I am saying is whatch out for extra charges- Hopefully the new site resolved the issue.

4. Larry T

Larry T

Don't Jegs and Summit also charge a "boxing fee". I don't think anyone really ships for free. It's in there somewhere, either as shipping, boxing fees, or figured into the cost of the product.
    I agree that you should have been informed at the time you ordered and not added later on. That's bad business.
    Larry T

5. Have done plenty of buisness with Honest Charlie online an at events.Has always been a good buisness man an full of personality.In these times I can't imagine anyone giving free shipping I agree with Larry T its in there somewhere.Keep buying from these folks everybody needs the business.

6. 51 BIRD

51 BIRD

Hiya Bob! As a guy who ran a large warehouse for many years,I can tell you this: There is no such thing as Free Shipping. All they're doing is bundling the shipping costs into the price of the product. It sounds like Honest Charley decided to eat the shipping charges in hopes of keeping you as a customer. That's about as good as it gets.

7. Eric at Riley offers free shipping to Alliance members......

8. ..."There ain't no free lunch"...

9. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

It seems to me that seperating the item cost from the shipping charge could merely be an accounting tool. I wouldn't get wrapped around the axle about it since it was, as explained, a shipping charge. Unless, when you ordered the item, it was flagged as FREE SHIPPING, then you have to assume there is going to be a shipping fee. DUH?

10. I don't think the whole story has been told.As they say,the devil is in the details.

11. Mattimus

Mattimus

After I ordered some large items from a vendor that needed to be shipped by a trucking company, the vendor I bought from charged me an additional shipping fee that came from the freight company itself. I knew about this ahead of time so it wasn't a big deal, but maybe this is the same situation?

12. Malibob

Malibob
    from Pittsburgh

You are right, I am lying. Suck it pal.

As I said already, they did credit me the money for the shipping charge they added as they agreed that it was not right to charge someone without disclosing the charges. I am very happy with Honest Charley, they DID the right thing in the end. I was just saying for others who have recently ordered to keep an eye on your account so the same thing does not happen to you.

READ.

13. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

Situation sounds like just a misunderstanding and resolved pretty honestly to me. Good for you for paying attention and good for them for understanding and trying to keep you happy.

14. Chuckles Garage

Chuckles Garage
    Alliance Vendor

Sounds like an over-reaction to me. If they credited your account for their mistake, why would you go on a public forum with tens of thousands of members and state that they are "not so honest"

I see that you pretty much recant what you say later on in the thread, but its still LAME.

IMHO.

15. Malibob

Malibob
    from Pittsburgh

Chuckles-thanks for your honest opinion. My issue is that they did not disclose all of the charges they would bill me for (that is dishonest to me) After an argument with an associate there; a supervisor got involved and agreed they should not have done that. Let me try to simplify for you all...

I was sent an invoice for a certain amount which was deducted from my account. Then without explaination, more money was taken from my account. Had they sent an invoice, or said there was an error I would have been fine but with not such a word, I was understandably upset. So with all of the scams and internet theft out there I was concerned of something corrupt. Now when I found out they had charged me I disagreed and got it resolved. More time than I wanted to invest.

16. burl

burl
    from Minnesota

I dont know why guys would bust this guys balls for bringing this up.I was looking at ordering some stuff from summit and there shipping is way less than any body else.Found it kinda odd.This post just causes me to look into it further and make sure its all up front.

17. insider

insider

Mistakes happen, all the time, and as a small buisness owner, iam here to tell ya you can screw up and make it right, and people still aint' happy.... Why after he made it right would you bash them????? Grow up!!

18. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Perhaps if the title said "Honest Charlies is the right name" it wouldn't look as if you were bein a bit of crybaby. The post explains things, the tone sounds like aimless bitching, it does read like you were fearful of getting scammed, and all in all for those of us who actually can read it worked out for both. I don't think any warning is needed. They resolved an issue kindly and professionally. I'd brag about vs bitch about em. You even got Ryan's attention with this. I dunno, maybe you work for Fox News Network? :D :D :D

19. Malibob

Malibob
    from Pittsburgh

There ya go, happy everyone?

20. 39LOW

39LOW
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from MESA,AZ

There is always a shipping charge , but there are differences. Called in an order to speedway and immediately was quoted a charge for ups ground. I complained about the quote and requested priority mail. Turned out it was about half of ups.shipping charges really add up on a project.....sometimes adds more than 20 percent to the overall cost.i'd think that just about all the parts suppliers would offer choices on means of shipping.

21. electron

electron

I always assume they are going to charge me for shipping unless they state otherwise. That being said, I agree that it feels like a violation to have a company come back for more money on your card, even if it does save you money in the end. That would be my 2 cents if I had any money.

22. Clearly Summit/Jegs wrap the shipping into the price, the $15 handling they charge does not cover the shipping of say a set of wheels.

I'm a dealer for Billet Specialties and Weld Racing wheels and I quote wheels as a shipped price but it's not free it costs me easily $70-75 to ship four wheels.

23. 6inarow

6inarow

Yeah. Now knock the chip off your shoulder. you got the $$ back

24. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Fellas... Come on man... Guy was just reporting back... not pissing on anyone's lunch... Cut him some slack.

25. 51Fourdoor

51Fourdoor

Our business charges a flat rate of $6.50 for MOST of our items and we ship via Priority Mail. Heavier, larger items go UPS, but that is plainly stated on check out or if you order via phone we tell you up front. I wouldn't dream of charging a customer without telling them.

www.shiny-hiney.com

Wade

26. Malibob

Malibob
    from Pittsburgh

That was all, maybe a poor choice of words on my part, but like you all said mistakes happen. And if it happened to you (your account) now you know why. No more heads' ups for this site. I will just say how nice everything always is. :):):)

Thanks for the understanding Ryan.

27. firingorder1

firingorder1

Out of curiosity. How much was the shipping charge?

28. Malibob

Malibob
    from Pittsburgh

Not worth 2 pages of responses and bashing.

It is not even relevant- if I made someone stop and check to see if they were "backcharged" for a large amount the purpose of my post was met.

Should I open myself up for more ridicule? Not today man. My $100 may be worth more to me than it is to you. (and it was not $100)

29. I don't know about their shipping, but I got to stop by their place last May. That place is a really neet place. Had a ball looking around there. Seemed to be nice guyes too.

30. low-n-slo54

low-n-slo54

Thanks for the headsup Malibob