Register now to get rid of these ads!

To 12V, or not to 12V?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by critterrice, Mar 9, 2010.

1. critterrice

critterrice

I'm trying to decide whether to switch from 6V to 12V in my '48 Dodge pickup.
    I've heard some positives, but what would be the disadvantages to this?

2. Flatheadguy

Flatheadguy

I highly recommend this conversion. The downside is a bit of labor and the cost of a few bulbs. You can use voltage reducers to retain the original gauges, horn and heater motor. Someone will probably offer a negative view, but I think more will agree with me.

3. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

If it is working OK now why would you wish to change??? Biggest 6V problems are undersized cables ,poor connections and tired/undersize battery.

4. wvenfield

wvenfield

Do you want a modern stereo? If not, IMO there is no reason to fix something that isn't broke.

5. CheapSheep

CheapSheep

Keeping the 6V in the Opel, because of the nostalgia factor of it. I will not be running a big/modern stereo, and a 6-12V converter will give juice enough to run the CB radio. This car is in the process of original restoration.

When it comes to custom cars, i'd say go for it! 12V kicks 6V ass when it comes to juice. If you will be rebuilding the whole electrical system, it would be plain stupid not to do it, as it will improve most things. And there is plenty of 12V generators and starters out there that doesn't look modern, so you can't tell the difference from just looking at it!

6. Flatheadguy

Flatheadguy

See? I TOLD you some would disagree!! (smiling) This is what makes this hobby great. Differing opinions. You listen to them all and pick the best solution for your situation. By the way, all who disagreed, I absolutely see your point. If we all did everything the same it would be SO boring.

7. 48fordor

48fordor
    from York, PA

Do you drive at night? I found the conversion to 12V and installation of good sealed beam lights made a huge difference. Try Sylvania Xtravision sealed beams - better lighting without any of the color filters.

Ed

8. plym49

plym49
    from Earth

Keep the 6 volts. Get a 6 volt gel cell battery and never worry about a thing.

On your old Dodge, 12 volt conversion usually also implies changing from positive to negative ground, because 12 v negative ground alternators are what is out there.

There is nothing wrong with a 6 volt positive ground system.

9. 73RR

73RR

What are you planning for the truck 'down the road'? If you are even thinking of an engine or trans swap then you will likely need 12v, otherwise, maintain what ya got and drive that thing.

10. 59ab

59ab

I agree with plm49. A 6 volt Optima will do the job.

11. RopeSeals???

RopeSeals???

Disadvantage? Expense and Labor... If it's working OK, no reason to change unless you need to power fuel injection, a stereo, or modern heater (like a Maradyne)

The '50 Dodge Truck I have now was converted by the previous owner using a Delco 10SI Alternator ... Works great!!!
    PM me if you want more info

XM Satellite Radio and seeing the road at night is nice :)

Last edited: Mar 9, 2010
  12. shmoozo

shmoozo
    from Media, PA

Seems to me that pretty much anybody who has ever driven behind standard 6 volt headlamps after having driven behind modern 12 volt halogens understands why a 12 volt conversion could be worth the bother.

13. wvenfield

wvenfield

I just drove with the brights on.

14. I am replacing my factory cloth wrapped wiring harnes on my 51' Merc. The harness is all trashed......cracked, frayed, taped up etc. So I am repacing the main dash, engine and body harness. I am also replacing whatever is bad in between. Since I have it all apart I am going to convert it. I figure it's the best time since the dash is off. I just want better hot starts, a real non vaccum wiper motor and brighter lights. I may add a hidden modern stereo in the future and a hotter ignition.

15. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

If your system is working now, the disadvantage would be the initial cost of conversion, after that, assuming you are going to an alternator, none.

16. Used Up Junk

Used Up Junk
    from Merced, CA

I helped my dad and a good friend of mine swap thier cars over to 12 volt systems. There is no downside to it! You're looking at an easy weekend project and spending maybe a couple of hundred bucks (people never think about the cost of a new 12V battery haha) but I know on both of the cars I worked on it made both of them much easier to live with. There is a lot of great tech here on the HAMB about doing a 12V conversion and plenty of people willing to help if you get stuck.

17. critterrice

critterrice

These are all great points. Thanks.
    I do intend to at least put a new rearend in it (probably a posi,) but I haven't decided whether to keep the straight 6 or upgrade.
    It was a farm truck so it's real low geared and will need the new rearend if I ever plan to take it on the freeway. Which I probably will because cars are for drivin' dangit!
    There are some things I like about the 6V, I was pretty proud of myself when I fabricated a "lip" so that the VW generator I bought wouldn't slip out. Small thing, but fun puzzle for an amateur like myself.
    I enjoy the challenge of the 6V, but I'm also attracted to the power of the 12. Hm... Will weigh the information you all have provided.
    Thanks again.

18. nwaringa

nwaringa

From one farm truck owner to another.... go for it. You'll be glad you did when your wipers actually work and your not fuxin' around with a stupid vacuum.

19. If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

That being said, start gathering your parts for the conversion and then you will be ready when (not if) your Generator, voltage regulator, or battery needs replacing.

At that point I would say that the conversion would be worthwhile.

20. Vorhese

Vorhese

Generator can charge a dead battery.

21. Do you drive at night?,,,12 volt headlights are a major improvement,,be there done that.HRP

22. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

Except for the initial cost, which really isn't much unless you buy everything from a website, there is no down side for a farm P/U. I love farm P/Us.:D

I happen to prefer generators over alternators. You don't have to buy a one wire alternator to do it. Yeah it's easy but not necessary. Believe it or not people often drove across country with generators. They are very reliable. Your truck doesn't need an alternator.

I'll get off of my soap box. I just like to remind people that there are other options available.

23. zzford

zzford

For many years I worked as a VW mechanic and did a whole slew of 6 to 12 volt conversions, including my own stuff. I NEVER had a customer that wasn't thrilled with the results.

24. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

I have a 41 Chevy which is 6 volts neg ground. I have had the car for 5 years now and I never had any problems with it other than dim lights at night. About 5 months ago, I installed a new wiring harness(orginal cloth) and boy did it make all the difference.
    My lights are bright and it starts up so much easier now. The only drawback is if I want to install anything 12 volt, I need a voltage increaser which is sold thru Chevys of the 40's
    Remember, if you replace your wires and are keeping the 6 volt system, the wires need to be a larger gauge then you would use for a 12 volt system. If the wires are too small, you'll fry them.

25. critterrice

critterrice

More excellent points. And Hacksaw Jim rocks, "HOOOOOOOOOO!!!"