Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Winter Project: 1957 Pontiac Starchief

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bryan6902, Feb 7, 2009.

1. hellerods

hellerods

GREAT JOB, just found this post and will try and follow through to the finish. I think you and your 57 qualify as a " Darksider" and welcome to the club :>) when do you think you will have the Poncho on the road? GO SON GO !!:D

2. slim53

slim53

Holy hell Bryan! It's soo rad to see that back on the frame. I'm speechless man. Just fucking speechless.

Slim

3. rockabillyrodder

rockabillyrodder
    from Colgate WI

Awesome! The firewall looks great. Glad to see in more of the reassembly stage I still haven't got to the disassembly stage. To much fun driving mine in the piece of shit stage. Hopefully I can get another on the road soon so I can fix that. Keep up the good work.

4. bryan6902

bryan6902

Give yourself a BIG pat on the back, there's a lot of you in those pictures too! Thanks again for all the help. Bryan

5. Fuckin hell, man. Looks great! What colors are you gonna paint it again?

6. freebird101

freebird101

great time to see vintage ads
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. bryan6902

bryan6902

Thanks for lookin' and all the kind words! I'm really excited to have it back on the frame and be moving forward. I'm going to paint it the original colors, green and white, or some variation that matches closely. I like it! Too many black, white, red and pastel color two tones. They had some really neat colors and combinations on the chip sheets that I think people ignore. How many spectacular, or not so spectacular, cars do we all pass by without hardly looking because they look exactly the same? Trying to avoid that.... Not saying it's gonna be the most spectacular car ever but hopefully it will stand out in a good way. Thanks for posting the ads. I have a few of those, cheap way to collect something cool. Bought a couple of ads off e-bay, but they're more like mailers or post-cards you would get from a dealership. I think it was junk mail then so they are harder to find, I'll try to scan them sometime... Here is a photo of the color combo I'm going to go with.[​IMG]

8. freebird101

freebird101

sweet looking colors !!

9. brocluno

brocluno

57 Ponchos are my fav. You are doing fine :)

10. Rusty52

Rusty52

Great looking project Bryan! I love Pontiac's and I think the '57 is probably my favorite. I like the '58 as well, but I still like the single headlight and grille of a '57 over the '58. Color combo looks very nice!

Rusty

11. Baggs

Baggs

Dude-

i didnt even know you had this post going???!!!??? i cant wait to see that thing rolling around. Like i always say, let me know when you are gonna work on it, if i can be there, i will be there!!! offer still stands for painting it. looking good dude. keep it up!!! trust me the day will come that i need some help putting a 54 ford frame back together, maybe sooner than later!!!

Jason

12. CrazyTalkCustoms

CrazyTalkCustoms
    from MN

Nice project thread!

I'm a bit confused on why, if you were struggling with the blasting side of things, that Slim wouldn't have mentioned giving the Crazy Talk guys a call. :confused:
    He then could have informed you with kind words like, "Duuuude, they'll come out with their truck and trailer so you don't have to worry about it".
    Now granted the pick-up/delivery is mixed into the blasting rate, but at least there would be no signs of "leftovers".
    I never understood paying to have someone blast a vehicle and getting it back and having to grind on it for some hours to get it clean. I'm not knocking you or your project, but crappy blasters really chap my "Cadillac Mentality" of a hide. :D

Please don't take any offense to my post. I'm being overly sarcastic. Slim, on the otherhand, you're dead meat! HAHAHA

13. bryan6902

bryan6902

Should have called you but hindsight is 20/20. I had been working a deal through another friend and got a sweet heart deal, flip side was a little more effort on my part, either way it got done. I also knew nothing of the pick-up and delivery sevice. Totally not Slim's fault so don't ride him too hard!

There is an update coming sometime within the next 7-10 days for all you guys who have been holding your breath, can't be too many of you left, it's been a looong time!

14. ponchopowerd

ponchopowerd

great to see you saving a poncho, i have a 55 my self and there defently a rare bird

15. Nice! What's the final build going to look like? Stock? Mild?
    Bil

16. CrazyTalkCustoms

CrazyTalkCustoms
    from MN

He can take it. HaHa

Can't wait for the update. Love that hue of green you're thinking about.

17. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

"LIMEFIRE GREEN & SEACREST GREEN" Pontiac Paint Code STT

[​IMG]

18. bryan6902

bryan6902

It will end up being a mild custom, lowered, decked a few other little things... nothing radical, I just want a nice driver. You need to direct me to some photos of your cars, that avatar is such a tease!

19. slim53

slim53

CTC, I would've mentioned you but you keep posting off topic cars on here and pollute the content. HAHA

Jive-Bomber, your wagon is dreamy.

Bryan, have I missed any updates? You holding out?

Slim

20. CrazyTalkCustoms

CrazyTalkCustoms
    from MN

You funny guy, you...hahaha...lets see how funny your traditional ass is after I get off the phone with OSHA.

:p Talk about pollution :p

21. bryan6902

bryan6902

Alright, as promised I am back with another update!! When we left off and then got slightly veered off topic I had just set the body back on the frame. So I started putting pieces back on, just to make sure it all fit before I started any major body work.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Unfortunately, I got about this far and I got crashed into.:( The accident was the 2nd week in November and the car was totalled. So we spent the next month fighting with the insurance company to re-imburse us for an amount we could actually replace our car for. Then we ended up buying another repairable that needed some TLC. I ended up with a concussion and my neck was really tweaked, missed some work lots of chiropractor visits, not cool. Project was shuffled to the back burner for 6-8 weeks.:(

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 21, 2010
  22. bryan6902

bryan6902

So we hobbled through Christmas and New Years, with no real progress. When I went back to working on it I was so sore from working my real job I couldn't really make any effective effort towards completing any thing, so i tried to focus on small things.

So test fit the radiator and made trans cooler lines
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Got my brake lines hooked up to the master, hung a gas pedal, hung a fuse panel, got my e-brake hooked up. Sorry for the sideways pic! This took 3 work nights to get set-up, just because I was still so sore.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also tried to work on putting together small assemblies like headlights, tail lights, some interior things. So when it's time for final assembly I can just solder the wires and bolt stuff in. Only have tail light shots, I know their pitted but re-plating isn't in the budget right now.

[​IMG]

23. ken1939

ken1939

Nice work, gonna be killer when done. Great post as well!

24. bryan6902

bryan6902

Finally really started feeling better about the middle of February so rather than just have panels hanging there I bolted the front end all the way together just to make sure it really fit. And amazingly enough it actually all fit together of course it all needs adjusting and fit and finish, but it was actually really close! So I blew the front end all apart again and hauled my inner fender liners, core support and related items down to Slim53 and we sprayed some single stage black all over them.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

They turned out great, LARGE THANKS to Slim53 for helping out! So i got my stuff back home and put the front end back together again in preparation for body work and here's where I stand right now.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

25. bryan6902

bryan6902

And we also started another project that should be done mid-May!

[​IMG]

Its a boy and we're excited of course! We have 3 little ones coming to our club this year so should be fun to watch our own kids get excited for cars and car shows!

26. apound

apound

love the Pontiac. But, reminds me how much work I have ahead of me on mine.

27. hellerods

hellerods

Very,very nice Poncho!! I am following your build with great pleasure and interest, thank you-- please keep the pics and info comming you are doing a super job on a big project :>) :D

28. Sauli

Sauli

Cool project You´ve got going there, been following Your thread on-and-off for the last year or so. Good job! I like Your choice of sticking with that stock color, good call, and what a nice "hue" it is! Sure looks different from all the somewhat "played-out" reds, whites or pastels typically seen on anything from this era today. I agree, people don´t seem to pay enough attention to all the nice, light metallics that were available straight from the factory.
    Seeing Your buddy paint the cowl white, for a second I thought that was gonna be Your main color -choice, are You looking to match the firewall with the roof-/side-insert color?

29. its gonna be cool when its done your doing some good work

my dad had a 57 poncho when i was a younger (i think i found his in a junkyard this summer)

i like to find a 57 poncho someday to build my 3rd favorite 57

30. bryan6902

bryan6902

Thanks, great minds think alike! Kind of undecided about the firewall matching the rest of the white on the car. I've looked at a lot of pictures of these cars and with that color combo it appears the top was painted a pure white, while the side inserts were more of an off white. I know I like the white so the firewall should match the top fairly closely. Not sure about the insert yet though..... Not a today decision, but something to think about.