Register now to get rid of these ads!

no windshield on roadsters?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hotroddub, Mar 6, 2010.

1. im lookin for some windshield idears for my 27 stude. i think they look pretty good without. any roadsters w/o windshields, pics?
    DUB

2. I don't have any pic's, but I will say that I've been hit in the face shield with some pretty hellAsious bugs while riding my bike. Something you might want to consider...

3. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

I would think most states require a windshield. Alabama does not technically require a windshield but windshield wipers are mandatory.
    One option is a custom or hand made frame with some type of curved glass to give you a very subdued windshield. Much like the Elvis Coupe, It has the slightly curved rear glass of a 40s Chrysler.
    The back and even side safety glass of later 30s-50s cars have the same design as a modern windshield. In the late 50s to early 60s tempered glass began to be used. The newer tempered glass will shatter, not good for a windshield.

4. Knuckle gaurds count as a windshield. Look for very old road racer or dirt track pics.

In MO if you have a windshield you have to have wipers but if you don't have a windshield then wipers are not required.

5. barslazyr

barslazyr

Have you seen the grass hoppers on the road in the summer? My cousin cams back from Stengus last summer and his black leather coat was green. I vote for a windshield.

6. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]

It can be fun on special occasions with goggles at least but I can't see running with out one on a regular basis.

7. Some of the old "speedsters" had some pretty innovative "windshields"
    Don't know what the cowl looks like on your Stude, but I've seen sports car windshields used, i.e. MG Midget, TR, etc., or go the Lotus 7 route
    Whatever you think looks good

8. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

Windshield is a comfort item. No windshield has been done a lot.

Wear Goggles.

m198130510720.jpg

9. roddinron

roddinron

If you do it, get some big glasses like the ones in your avatar.

10. I admitt I like the look too,,, but I hate eatin bugs and flys

11. titus

titus

it was windy! but fun

Attached Files:

12. Next your cheap ass is going to tell us you can use spray foam in tires since air compressors cost too much!? :rolleyes: Your fuckin cheapskate input shows no boundries.

13. 5window

5window

Sorry, I don't get this venom. I sure don't see where 29 Nash's advice warrants your response. You boys need to take your personal game outside-and leave it there- before an interesting thread gets closed.

05snopro440 likes this.

14. Wrong, just go back to the infamous $300 paint job thread. Many of us care about helping others. 29's cheapskate input doesn't help further the hobby at all. Notice I added a current link to a good solution for not having WS Stantions?

Last edited: Mar 7, 2010
  15. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

I've got a mildly short winshield and while driving on the feeway, something came over it and hit me on the forehead.:eek: Left a nice little bump. When I got a chance to look, I was expecting a rock, it turned out to be a June Bug. No telling what a rock would have done and what if it had hit me in the eye.

So a windshield might help, but not having one is not too cool.

05snopro440 likes this.
  16. ap1930

ap1930

Modified '36 Ford screen with homemade screen posts?

[​IMG]

17. I used Chris Craft sanctions to peice together a windscreen. They're REALLY short and choppy looking, but thats how they came stock. I lovem. From what I can gather these are circa '34.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 7, 2010
  18. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

If you value your eyes definitely use a windshield. I was riding in the rumble seat of my friends '34 5w at about 45-50 miles an hour when suddenly I got hit with what seemed like a marble shot by a slingshot right in the forehead. Turned out to be a june bug. That thing left a bruise that didn't go away for a week. I can only imagine if it had hit me in the eye and not wearing any goggles/glasses. Ever since I've had a campaign against rumble seats................in my opinion the most worthless option imaginable on an old car.

Frank

19. June bugs hurt dont they Frank! What is worse is a fat ol BummbleBee that manages to hit your face but most of it explodes in your mouth. YUCK!

20. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

Tman, I've forgot more than you'll probably ever know. Just what part of my pointing that I can paint a car with acrylic enamel after the body work is done for $300 can't you deal with? :D Don't bother to reply, , except of course to beat your chest for the benefit of your bully buddies. I'm putting you back on my 'ignore' list

21. Thanks, I wont ignore you, gotta make sure you don't teach others to cheap out on their cars. ;)

22. ya it was just an idea since i plan on just drivin it in town but i think itl be easyier to make a new frame since mine is all hammerd at the top. but ya i agree i drove it about 30 miles last yeer without glass and it sucked!

23. franklgr

franklgr
    from SWPDX

Many years ago, late one night on my way home it became very foggy. Easier to see the center line on this four lane road with my head out the side window. A car came up along side of me very slowly. Then I noticed it was a cop motioning me to pull over. After inspecting my license and vehicle he asked me "son, what do you think your windshield is for". I, not being in any mood for jokes, explained "why officer, it's to hold up my windshield wiper". Where upon he filled out a small paper, with carbon copy, signed it and explained we would meet again in a couple of weeks in front of the judge.

The rest of the story. It was thrown out of court. No law against it.

24. CDNTED

CDNTED

I have a 29 model a single seat with a 6 inch winshield .looks cool and was inexpensive to make. Bugs and rocks hurt . If you go to ebay.uk right now there is a nice pare of windshield from a 30s morgan or mg listed today at about 40us

25. CheatersPete

CheatersPete

Mine

Attached Files:

26. striper

striper

My screen is quite low. Stuff hits me and it hurts. I hate to think how bad it would be without a screen at all. I never drive without glasses.

[​IMG]

Pete

27. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

"Brooklands" style individual windscreens are available as repro parts. Check a repop Cobra dealer, or the sporty car folks. Or make your windscreen fold down over the cowl and rest on rubber stops (like an old Jeep) for those days you want some wind in the face. Be sure to strap it down and don't forget to get some goggles and a tube of that "Bug-out" toothpaste the old bikers used. Gary

28. CAL

CAL
    from Neosho Mo.

Very nice build.

29. irace2win41

irace2win41

My last car had Brookland windscreens and it was better than nothing but still not great. They looked cool and was perfect around town. Now at highway speeds...that was a different matter.

I'd go with a shorter cut down windshield.....