Register now to get rid of these ads!

how low can you get a 50s chevy truck using straight axle

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by afterhoursbikes, Feb 16, 2010.

1. afterhoursbikes

afterhoursbikes
    BANNED

how low can you get chevy trucks... without clipping it... or mustang 2 front end.... using maybe lowered leafs and a 4 inch drop axle??? any pics of one... im goin 2 four link it and clip one day.. but for now want to put it in the dirt... any help... thanks

2. OldSub

OldSub
    Member Emeritus

It would help if you could be more specific about what the truck is. What year and what model. There are three different variations of the rear suspension in the 50's on just the 1/2-ton trucks. There are variations in the front too, though they probably don't make as much difference.

3. ChevyRat

ChevyRat

You can put it on the ground with kick-ups. What is your ultimate goal?

4. devilleish

devilleish

For my '55, a buddy of mine is in progress of splitting and narrowing the front axle off of a '58 so's we can flip it. He did it on a '51 F1 and it turned out fantastic (here's hoping this one does). With the wrong springs the truck could be low enough to be undriveable.

5. chevpickup

chevpickup
    from Australia

I am debating this at the moment, love the low look on AD trucks but not sure on the bagging vs drop axle and lowering blocks. I guess i"m just not convinced its worth it for a 3 inch drop? My truck is high though!
    [​IMG]

6. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

With a couple of springs removed and 195x14 tires you can go this low
    [​IMG]
    and no dropped axle.

I didn't say anything about it riding good or handling well though but it is low.

7. afterhoursbikes

afterhoursbikes
    BANNED

ok its a 50 ad 3 window truck... 1/2 ton.... i want it on the ground..... in florida everything is flat.....i mean maybe 3 inches.... might 4 link air bag the back..... was thinkin lowered springs ... and a 4 inch axle.... should be around 6 inches......just dont have the time to clip it or mustang it right now... the original 6 runs great... just want to slam it and drive it..... were do i get axle...and springs.....

8. Dave K

Dave K

9. OldSub

OldSub
    Member Emeritus

Dropped front axle can get you 4 inches. You should be able to pick up (drop) another couple inches with springs. Sid is probably the right source for the axle. As low as you're talking about going you'll need to modify the steering arm and possible the drag link.

At the rear you are going to be notching the frame to get that much drop unless you want to set the frame on the axle.

Do you plan to replace the torque tube and rear axle? I'm trying to picture a 4-link with the torque tube setup. I don't see it working without the axle binding just running over a dime.

As 48Chevy suggested, your ride and handling may be pretty ugly.

10. afterhoursbikes

afterhoursbikes
    BANNED

i still want suspension.. dont want back.. ridgid... if i keep stock rear.. can i flip it to top of leafes with blocks and step up the frame.... if i go 4 link ill change rear end.... what does everyone use s10??

11. OldSub

OldSub
    Member Emeritus

You might want to crawl under the truck and look at it...

The axle is already on top the springs if its a 1/2-ton. Yes you can use blocks, but there is limited room between the top of the axle and the bottom of the frame, so you'll be loosing suspension travel, and to go down six inches you'll have almost none left. That is why I suggested notching the frame.

Lots of people use an S-10 rear axle. I don't think its the best choice.

An S-10 two wheel drive is too narrow without tubbing the box. An S-10 4x4 rear is barely wide enough and depending on the wheels chosen you may need spacers to keep the tires from rubbing the bed.

I have the 62 inch wide rear from a '73 Chevelle under my '55 1st. Its almost exactly the same width as the stock rear. You really need to choose wheels and tires and rear as a package to make sure they are coordinated.

As for stepping the frame, or Z-ing as its called, you can do that, but its as much if not more work than clipping and not something to tackle unless you have some experienced help around.

12. afterhoursbikes

afterhoursbikes
    BANNED

thanks.. i build bikes for a living... fabing a z is no big deal for travel.... just didnt want to mess with front right now do to alot of work... in shop... ive built cars before... never did one of these trucks thats why im asking..... and dont want to waste alot of time building... want to drive....ya know

13. patch

patch

If your looking for a quick application here's what I did .... CCP dropped axle, take out 1 leaf and you'll get 5 1/2 inches of drop, you have to mount the tie rod from the bottom ... you'll experience some bump steer which will have to be addressed (easy fix). If you still want to use the original rear end for now just put in some 2 1/2 lowering blocks and take out 1 leaf and trim off about half of the rubber bumper stops. One thing I didn't realize when I removed my leafs was that there was an extra leaf added on the drivers side, I guess to offset for the extra weight of the driver??? so beware of that one. My truck has 205's on the front and 235's on the rear for tires. Here's a few pics for ya showing the stock stance and then the after stance. The pic with the signage on the door and side pipes are when I went to an auto transmission and I replaced the original rear with a '84 Camaro with 273 gears. I'm going to add another 1/2" of block to bring it down just a little or maybe a 215 or 225 tire. Hope this helps ... I'm not saying this is the all time best way, worked for me and this would be a quick way to do it. Stay in touch and get ahold of me if you need anymore info.

Attached Files:

14. theorangecouch

theorangecouch

Did you use a 3" or 4" drop axle?....nice truck

15. Just finished this one today! I put a 4" dropped axle up front with dearched springs, and back in the rear I flipped the axle over the springs. I had to notch the frame in the rear to make room for the axle but that's it.

Attached Files:

16. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

If you want your truck slammed to the ground, you'll have to air bag it. Lowered stock suspension has its limits. I have a 51 (5) window and the front has a new set of 3" lowered springs with 2 leafs removed. The rear has a new set of 5" lowered springs with 2 leafs removed and 1.5" old school lowering blocks.
    I still have good travel and a soft ride and while it's low, it's not slammed. Remember, in order for the truck to be slammed, you will need to make a lot of modifcations,i.e. you will have to "z" the rear frame in order to have ample travel room but that also means that you won't be able to use a stock bed floor.
    So, there is a lot to think about.

17. waldo53

waldo53
    from ID

The beauty of a dropped axle is that you don't lose any spring travel (if you stay with stock springs). I have one of Sid's 3" dropped axles because I wanted to be low AND still be above the scrub line. I also pulled 3 leafs out of the spring-pack for a total drop of about 6". It rides and handles great but I did add a front sway bar too.

18. theorangecouch

theorangecouch

nice..what size tires are you running?

19. waldo53

waldo53
    from ID

I'm running P235/75R-15

20. cadillac daddyo

cadillac daddyo
    from wichita ks

i say sids sould be the best place to get a drop axle i just put one in my 60 ford on fri and it sets great plus he is a hamber and a great guy to deal with

21. RDO_23

RDO_23

TimmyP and I are installing a 4" SIDs drop axle tomorrow night in my 52 5-Window, I'll let ya know how it goes.

and yes SID was great to work with - thanks SID!

22. BEAR

BEAR

23. Dave K

Dave K

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 8, 2010
    Sk1989 likes this.
  24. synthsis

synthsis

25. Dave K

Dave K

It is not my thing. I am happy with my drop axle and mono leaf.

Sk1989 likes this.
  26. synthsis

synthsis

that's the route I'm gonna go, gotta call up Sid one of these days and see what he's got for me.

27. Seems to be pretty simple to lower with out goin the bag route.

28. theorangecouch

theorangecouch

Thanks, I just got off the phone with Sid and ordered a 4" drop axel. Verry helpful and knowledgeable. Great recommendation. can't wait for to to get here!!

29. 55 Mercury

55 Mercury

30. afterhoursbikes

afterhoursbikes
    BANNED

that blk apache is my freinds trk.. he also put a rack in it .. its got 2 leafs... dropped avle and blocks..and it lays hard on da ground....just sold it on ebay for 12 grand