Register now to get rid of these ads!

Who wouldn't want to build a hotrod around this engine?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by adjustablejohnsons, Feb 16, 2010.

1. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

2. Are there any more pictures of that motor?

3. Paul

Paul
    Editor

could it be those wire looms came from the 288 Kettering was experimenting with sometime between '46 and '48?

looks like Edmunds intake with dual carbs and Cadillac? air cleaners and Beylond headers

4. Hotrodbuilderny

Hotrodbuilderny

5. Bingo, Paul....288 CI forerunner to the 303. Sitting in this car somewhere in California.

[​IMG]

6. mac762

mac762

Check out that cool hood. :) I saw that car in a magazine somewhere.

7. If its a small block chevy why are the heads Oldsmobile ;)

8. When Tommy Thompson built the Original Goldenrod in Golden Colorado, He was given a similar engine that Oldsmobile had used at the Pikes Peak Hill Climb. The car an engine are now in the Tom McIntyre collection in Burbank, and was on display at this years GNRS.

9. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

When Ford introduced the OHV Y-block in 1954 every dealer in the US was shipped C.O.D. a windowed display hood and a chrome accessory package with display lighting and instructions to paint the hood to match a V8 car in stock, replace the factory hood with the windowed one after dismantling the engine externals to replace with factory chrome-plated display pieces (valve covers, pulleys, fan, etc.).

10. GREASEMONKEY72

GREASEMONKEY72

11. power58

power58

Great photo, Good old Ket. A lot of stuff had to come together for this engine, the high octane gas, Ket pushing it and Solan signing off. Great project engine.

12. Paul

Paul
    Editor

notice the valve covers are "upside down"
    all the early Olds motors I've seen have the squared corners at the bottom
    was that on the prototype only, or did all the first run have them that way?

I did see a guy from Gig Harbor? at Hotrod-A-Rama with a set of covers, Edmunds I think, with the script inverted to work with those heads.

13. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

me if i found one in a crate or under a work bench and could buy it resonable i would hotrod it and id leave it green and run the cool looking valve covers and no hood just so i could look at it

14. wvenfield

wvenfield

Appears to be the same or similiar to the dual quad Pontiac.

15. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

There were two versions of Fenton valve covers for '49-'56 Olds V8s. One style was a noname finned cover with Fenton I.D. cast on the underside, and one had the "Fenton" logo cast in the center of the fins, but it read upside down when the covers were bolted to the heads!

16. Toner283

Toner283

If you oval the holes a little they bolt right on...........:D

Cool car. Cooler engine.

17. mart3406

mart3406
    from Canada

[QUOTE

First, skidmarks wrote:

"its a small block chevy, i swear it is.
    a local guy has one. the valve covers
    are the same.jokes aside,whats it got
    for carburation with the aircleaner
    offset on it? any date on the pic. my
    guess 1947 or 48? seeing that its the
    49 style valve cover with research
    on the plugwire looms
    "

and then junkmanjr77;4995729]
    responded:

"If its a small block chevy why are the
    heads Oldsmobile
    "
    ;)

[/QUOTE]
    --------------------------------
    Actually you're' both wrong. The block is really from a 412 cubic inch '46 Henway Model 39 'Superhetrodyne' sleeve-valve V8 truck engine! GM engineers on loan to the Ford Motor Company and working for the government on a ''way above even top secret" 'black helicopter' engine development project at 'Area 51' in Nevada in early 1947, converted a dozen or so of these Henway blocks to a conventional OHV configuration and then surreptitiously grafted on some experimental Oldsmobile high-compression heads! I know this for an absolute fact too, because 'back in the day', our milkman - who delivered milk, door to door, in a hopped-up, chopped and channeled Divco :)eek:), by the way - told me that the neighbor of his cousin's ex-wife's sister had one of these engines in a brand new, 'one-of-only-one-ever-built', Ghia-bodied 19481/2 Lincoln Zephyr station wagon 'concept car'....and back then, you know, milkmen didn't lie! :D:D:D

Mart3406 (Official Henway Motors
    Corporate Historian and Archivist)
    =============================

Last edited: Mar 9, 2010
  18. freebird101

freebird101

19. Paul

Paul
    Editor

the ones I saw must have been Fentons then,
    they would have been right side up on the heads in the lead photo

Last edited: Mar 8, 2010
  20. Paul

Paul
    Editor

I looked at my pictures from the show and I actually took a picture of them,
    you can see he forced the gasket to work with the covers upside down on his, '50?

[​IMG]

and here's my Fentons with name inside resting on the heads "rightside up" on a '55

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 8, 2010